• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

jdreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks luvmyacans, our corals look great!!! So do all the rest of your stuff in your photo bucket.. As for the other corals luvmyacans has I'd be in for adding to our grow out, and or spliting them one way or the other.. I think for as the picking a new grower, I also could do it but I have alot on my plate. My tanks are nice and attended to daily. I just set up a 75 galloon acan and favia only tank which is basically filled up already , all I'd have to do is make room with in my other larger tanks. Either way I think we should not add any new growers to the ones we have growing now,if possible. We could always split the frags in half is an option, larger ones to one grower and smaller ones that need more time to another grower, just an idea that I know has worked in the past.. I also beleive, more time for growing them out. What ever decided on the new grower it is a big responsibility and luvmyacans is doing a great job with up-dates, pic's, communication, over-all ,, awesome, and that might be tuff for me right now because of my time and or lack of..for me to be the grower. Anyways I'm in for what the rest of the majority in this grow out wants and will step up if needed in any way to make it work.. Thanks to everyone for the input..

Top Shelf Aquatics

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what jdreef says here. We add luvmyacans personal stuff to the growout and kick him some coin. If Justin doesn't want to grow anymore then I'd love for jdreef (sorry don't know your name) to be the grower. Or if Nate wants to that's great also.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what jdreef says here. We add luvmyacans personal stuff to the growout and kick him some coin. If Justin doesn't want to grow anymore then I'd love for jdreef (sorry don't know your name) to be the grower. Or if Nate wants to that's great also.

I agree with this. I'd just rather not add anyone else into the grow out at this point. Interested to see what everyone else thinks though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like everyone is in agreement to keep it simple and not add anybody else to the grow out and just kick Justin some extra $ for his spot and add on acans. I like this too.

Thank you Justin for being willing to hold onto them for a bit longer and hopefully they will ready soon. Please let us know if that changes and we can make other arrangements as it seems like others in the grow out could take them if needed.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like everyone is in agreement to keep it simple and not add anybody else to the grow out and just kick Justin some extra $ for his spot and add on acans. I like this too.

Thank you Justin for being willing to hold onto them for a bit longer and hopefully they will ready soon. Please let us know if that changes and we can make other arrangements as it seems like others in the grow out could take them if needed.

I just want to be clear that I'm not going to hold onto the acans I was planning on throwing in. I was going to throw those in if someone else was going to take over the growout but I can't keep them in my tank until this growout is over, I gotta get them out of the tank soon.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, got it. Glad I put it out there to clarify. I am really sorry, I am not able take over the grow out. JDreef & Nate, looks like both of you said you could possibly do it. Is that still a possibility? If so, do we want to send all to one person? Or split in two and send to both? I am ok with either way.

What do you guys think? It might be best to go ahead and make arrangements to move the grow out.

Justin-what are thinking for your new direction? I know a little off topic... :) But I'm sure not the first thread that went OT. Do you still have the 60? Or just the shallow?

Last edited:
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, got it. Glad I put it out there to clarify. I am really sorry, I am not able take over the grow out. JDreef & Nate, looks like both of you said you could possibly do it. Is that still a possibility? If so, do we want to send all to one person? Or split in two and send to both? I am ok with either way.

What do you guys think? It might be best to go ahead and make arrangements to move the grow out.

Justin-what are thinking for your new direction? I know a little off topic... :) But I'm sure not the first thread that went OT. Do you still have the 60? Or just the shallow?

Just the shallow at this point, wish I would have kept the 60 now that I want to go to SPS though. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do equipment-wise quite yet.

On another note, just got home and the angel eye is looking pretty bad...there's a little bit of the skeleton showing and the favia itself looks really faded. I'm going to move it to a no-flow area of the tank to see what happens but wanted to let you guys know. Everything else looks fine and puffy but I'm testing all my params now just in case anything is up.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Thanks for the heads up. FWIW I spoke with a guy in my local club and he has the angel eye from sc and it seems to be doing well. He said that it likes pretty low light and medium flow in his system.

I can try moving it to medium flow but I think if I do the skin will blow right off it. Sorry guys...trying my best with these favias...

Nutramar Foods

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move it! :) I was just passing on some 411 in case it offered any help.

SPS is very tempting with all the super nice ones being offered right now. Going to have any LPS or softies in there at all? I have some sweet tanks that are just carpeted in rics with SPS up top.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move it! :) I was just passing on some 411 in case it offered any help.

SPS is very tempting with all the super nice ones being offered right now. Going to have any LPS or softies in there at all? I have some sweet tanks that are just carpeted in rics with SPS up top.

Yeah, I'll keep a few of the acans I have now and maybe a few other LPS but not a whole lot!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna get some new pics of the acans tonight and try to count the number of fully developed polyps on each of the pieces.

I can tell you the only favia that would be able to be cut at this point and has enough eyes is the SC Dark Vampire as it has about 5-6 eyes but the rest are still basically where they are when I got them...

It doesn't sound like anyone's going to take over the growout at this point so I'm going to start getting rid of my personal pieces this weekend, just wanted to let you know since I offered them up to you guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, here's a link to a flickr album. I took the pics so you can count the heads on them. There may be 1-2 babies on each of them you can't see on the back but the full, mature heads are pretty much all visible.

Keep in mind I took these out of water so it would be easier to count them so don't freak when you see a little skeleton, they're all nice and fluffy!

Growout - a set on Flickr

I'll get some favia shots for you guys in the next few days as well...

AquaCave Logo Banner

jdreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, thanks for the pic's... Please let me know if theres anything I can do to help.. I just set up a 75 Acan only tank so I have some room.. otherwise I also am starting to stock my 300 sps only tank and am looking for more higher end acro's, millie's and nassuta's so if anyone in this grow out has a nice pack theyed be interested in selling I mauy be interested. luvmyacans thanks for doing such a great job on the grow out...

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob!

I just wish we were getting better growth and coloration out of the favias. I'm going to put some of the reef putty stuff around a few of them where the heads aren't quite down to the frag disc, maybe it'll help.

On another note I ordered one of the new Seneye reef monitors yesterday which includes a PAR meter built in. Once I get it I'm going to take some readings to see where they stand. Maybe it'll provide some insight, maybe it won't, we'll see!

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how you guys want to proceed here? Acans can probably be chopped soon but I can't say the same about the favias. I'd like to try to come up with a plan though so everyone's not just sitting and waiting.

It's going to be winter soon so if we can't do it now maybe we should wait until Spring. Up to you if you want to clear space though. I'm in California too so I'm ok but just worried about some of these other guys. Favias I don't care one way or the other.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AVAST
Back