• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I want to make sure that what you guys get is worth what you spent and will have to spend on shipping.

In the other growout I'm in we lost all of our polyps except about 8 Cherry Charms (worth probably $200) so it's not worth even splitting them up because shipping would cost more than they're worth. In this case we have plenty of pieces left but I still want to make sure you guys get what you paid for.

Hey Justin,

Thank you for the offer, I know you had previously offered acans from your personal collection. I don't think that is neccesary.

BRS
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking some pics right now for you guys, will hopefully get them up in a bit (gotta eat some dinner).

I think the war coral is pretty much done for. Unfortunately this one was the fastest grower out of the bunch. The skeleton isn't completely white but it's not coming around.

The acans that were looking bad are still in about the same shape. They haven't receded at all which is good, but it's going to take some time for them to grow back. So frustrating...

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic guys, sorry for the delay. You can see in the picture which acan I'm worried about. The other two that have receded are looking alright but you can clearly see a few heads on them have been lost.

photo.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, it seems we're not in the clear yet. I came back from being gone for 2 nights and the pieces that were looking bad are looking worse, but the rest still look okay. I just don't get it.

My entire "colony" of about 6-7 happy endings acans were completely decimated as well as 2 pieces I got from Sonny on top of what I've already lost. I just don't understand why some pieces look great and some disappear literally overnight. I've spent hours sitting in front of the tank with a red light looking for pests and I've never seen anything to worry about...

I think at this point it's time to send my water to one of those mail away companies for testing, I just don't know what else to do...

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Do you know what the two pieces are that are looking bad? It's hard to tell from the pic.

The three closest to the glass in the middle of the rack are the ones I'm worried about. The heads are all really sucked in to the skeleton and from what I've seen next step is detaching themselves...

If anyone wants to take these and nurture them back I'd be more than happy to send them, I hate seeing them melt away like this. :sad:

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think shipping might be alot for the corals that are struggling, but probably the best chance. I am fine with it. I think the 3 of us are the most active on this site. Maybe if we don't hear from them we send a PM? Do we have everyone's personal information? That way if we don't hear from people we can reach out that way? I know sometimes decisions can get stalled from not hearing back.

I am happy to provide my contact information. We shared that among the people in my other grow out, I don't think it is a bad idea.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point here's what I think we've got, I'll double check later when I'm in front of the tank.

Favias:
Tyree Mias Pot of Gold Favia
SC Dark Vampire Favia
SC Purple War Coral - Bad Shape, probably won't make it through shipping
Tyree War & Peace Favia - Bad Shape, probably won't make it through shipping

Acans:
5 healthy pieces that would be ok to ship
3 unhealthy pieces that would definitely die during shipping (these are the one's that i'm worried about even surviving as is)

I've also got a few pieces to add in to make up for the pieces that have been lost and potential losses from the acans that are looking sad.

I don't think shipping will be an issue as long as they're healthy pieces. If you guys want I'll take a look tonight at what I'm going to add in and take a picture of a group of pieces that I think would be worth shipping. Does that sound good?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back