Red Knob Starfish Help!!

Bophy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!! I have had my red knob starfish for quite some time. He has been an awesome little-big guy and is the star of the show ;) He has always seemed very healthy, moving around the glass and taking food, no problem. However, around maybe the last week he has become very immobile. He has hardly eaten this past week and didn’t move at all yesterday. He had fallen off the glass and we had gently put him on a rock to see if he would move at all. Unfortunately there was no movement so we had assumed he had passed away. Just to be safe we left him in over night incase he was still with us. Miraculous, this morning he was on the glass again! Unfortunately he still looks very droopy and looks like he is barely holding on. I’m not sure if he is sick with a disease, if he is being picked on unknowingly, or if he is just reaching old age? I just took these photos of him 2 minutes ago. it’s pretty hard to see because of the light, my apologies. It looks like he’s only able to use a few suction cups. If anyone has any similar experiences or any advice, tips or info please let me know. He’s the perfect little star and I want to do anything I can for him. Thanks!
-Sophie

IMG_6973.jpeg IMG_6976.jpeg IMG_6974.jpeg IMG_6975.jpeg

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually starve over time.
Not many if any, last a year at best.
How long you had it?

Needs a large aquarium with lots of live rock and tons of algae.

As it matures, it becomes not reef safe and will take out corals or anything else it can roll over.

Check your nitrates, they hate hate high nitrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bophy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually starve over time.
Not many if any, last a year at best.
How long you had it?

Needs a large aquarium with lots of live rock and tons of algae.

As it matures, it becomes not reef safe and will take out corals or anything else it can roll over.

Check your nitrates, they hate hate high nitrates.
Hi!! We have had him for 6-8 months now. He’s in a 120gal tank with tons of live rock. He eats a lot of algae off the glass and is fed a big krill ever week or whenever he will take one. Maybe it could be the nitrates. We had a wrasse who passed away a couple days ago but couldn’t find the body. Could have spiked the levels

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! We have had him for 6-8 months now. He’s in a 120gal tank with tons of live rock. He eats a lot of algae off the glass and is fed a big krill ever week or whenever he will take one. Maybe it could be the nitrates. We had a wrasse who passed away a couple days ago but couldn’t find the body. Could have spiked the levels
also check ammonia levels if something recently died

And salinity,oxygen levels and PH, they are sensitive to these as well.

Enjoy.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back