+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So, I’m currently running Radium 20ks over my tank, and while they are nice, they might be a little too purple/ blue for my liking. Can anybody recommend a bulb similar to the XM 10k. I know this bulb has been discontinued, but was wondering if anybody knew of something similar.
I have two new XM 10ks that got stuck in the back of a closet years ago for a project that never ended up happening. Willing to cut you a deal... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im wondering Have you ever had issues with that specific bulb lighting constantly. I purchased that bulb along with
the bali sun fixture and a 250 watt dimmable Hamilton technology electronic ballast. I have been through 2 bulbs now where I'm having an issue with the bulb firing constantly. For the first few weeks the bulb will fire fine then it will not fire at the desired time that I have it set at sometimes it takes 10 min to fire others and hour. The first bulb I received did the same thing and fired well for about a week then the bulb just wont fire at all. I'm either lead to believe that this style bulb isn't any good or the ballast isn't any good. I have tried reseating the bulb checking all connections within the fixture. I'm at a point where i think I'm going to purchase an icecap ballast or go led.
I love metal halide bulbs and really don't want to switch but this is annoying. The only other thing I can think of
doing is switching to a different brand bulb to see if I get the same results. I'm ether going to go with a Reefbrite bulb or a Radion bulb. any help would be appreciated
No issues with my bulbs and I’m using the RB electronic ballasts. I would suspect that the ballasts are the issue. Bulbs either work or they don’t, at least that’s been my experience.

Jwill1316

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with my bulbs and I’m using the RB electronic ballasts. I would suspect that the ballasts are the issue. Bulbs either work or they don’t, at least that’s been my experience.
ok thats what I was thinking I have the ballast set to run off a neptune apex and its hit and miss the bulbs just dont fire on time as they should it shouldnt take 30 min or more to fire

Top Shelf Aquatics

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok thats what I was thinking I have the ballast set to run off a neptune apex and its hit and miss the bulbs just dont fire on time as they should it shouldnt take 30 min or more to fire
If it’s being controlled via 0-10v then that can be the issue? Mine are powered by an EB8 on a basic timer program. 0-10v on the other hand has given me issues in the past, so I’m not a fan of controlling lights this way. With simple technologies like halides or even LED bars, it’s simple on/off for me.

Jwill1316

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s being controlled via 0-10v then that can be the issue? Mine are powered by an EB8 on a basic timer program. 0-10v on the other hand has given me issues in the past, so I’m not a fan of controlling lights this way. With simple technologies like halides or even LED bars, it’s simple on/off for me.

Jwill1316

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill have to check but I don't beleive that the ballast that Hamilton makes is controlled by that I'll have to check and see im wondering if is maybe the Neptune apex power strip just isn't allowing enough power to fire the bulb

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ushios with electronic ballast ?
E-ballasts will run most bulbs.
Some e-ballats, like the Luxcore or similar newer Chinese ballasts, will make the Ushio bulbs to flicker sometimes. Ushio bulbs should be on manufacturers' specs IMHO for optimal performance in the long run.
But yeah, I've used 250W Ushios on e-ballasts for years. Not the best! After a while they will start to act funny. Radiums and Ushio bulbs should run on specs IMHO. Most German bulbs should be used accordingly to their specs.
Chinese bulbs can go with Chinese ballasts.
ReefBrite bulbs will run better with their own ballasts too, I heard!
Compatibility is important in any case.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back