R2R LIVE SALE 3/5/22 SAT - Aqua SD 15th Year Anniversary LIVE SALE - Discounts, Games, Freebies, Fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6AB77CEB-A77C-4E6A-950F-248B96C0B5B5.jpeg

Anyone else like gorgs?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaSD @TeamAquaSD is this the correct price for the Saturday shipping module for the live sale for those living outside Cali? I just want to make sure I'm not paying for the wrong thing.
Guess it doesn't matter now... I won a few SPS corals in the eBay auction tonight, so AquaSD is letting me use the $40 shipping as Saturday shipping :) Such an awesome vendor to work with! Wasn't even planning on doing the Ebay auction this week, but of course I couldn't sleep, and had to "just look" and see what was posted...

s-l400 (53).png
s-l400 (52).png
s-l400 (50).png
s-l400 (49).png
s-l400 (51).png
s-l400 (32).png

I really need to get the other reef tanks running.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I had bids on about half your haul lol but I ended up with three myself anyway!
It worked out pretty well. I've bought a lot of frags recently and these are different from all the other SPS I have.

bondsgot73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I had bids on about half your haul lol but I ended up with three myself anyway!
Don’t think I bid on his stuff but I definitely went after (unsuccessfully) some of the zoas, acans, BTAs, and RFAs last night.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think I bid on his stuff but I definitely went after (unsuccessfully) some of the zoas, acans, BTAs, and RFAs last night.

Thise winter RFAs (the whitish ones) were really cool!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thise winter RFAs (the whitish ones) were really cool!

Like this one? I took a screenshot with an hour left because I couldn’t believe how high it had been bid!

7588903A-4C00-47F6-A8A1-FE47DA9F4635.jpeg

It’s interesting that so many people liked the whiter ones. Those are actually pretty “basic” ones that you can find in knee deep water in FL (alongside plain greenish ones). “Ultra” RFAs (colorful ones) come from lower light areas in 30-45 feet of water (vs the plain ones you can collect in ankle/knee deep water).

Maybe people just aren’t as used to seeing them?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this one? I took a screenshot with an hour left because I couldn’t believe how high it had been bid!

View attachment 2574480

It’s interesting that so many people liked the whiter ones. Those are actually pretty “basic” ones that you can find in knee deep water in FL (alongside plain greenish ones). “Ultra” RFAs (colorful ones) come from lower light areas in 30-45 feet of water (vs the plain ones you can collect in ankle/knee deep water).

I really liked this one. Most of the rock flowers I see here in St Kitts are brown, white and brown, or green and white. I've seen some just like the one you posted, but never seen one with purple color.

Screenshot_20220304-113319_Chrome.jpg

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2574480

Some of the "plain" corals can add a lot to your tank. I have a brown acan (<$5 ASD!) That, if it could speak would say "I love you soooo much!" It is puffy and looks so happy when I feed it.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the "plain" corals can add a lot to your tank. I have a brown acan (<$5 ASD!) That, if it could speak would say "I love you soooo much!" It is puffy and looks so happy when I feed it.
I completely agree with this. Fire coral colonies on the reef look magnificent and they are the color of Dijon mustard. Or my blue ridge coral. One of my favorite corals, and it grows into such unique looking colonies in a reef tank, but it is brown.

Heck, a lot of people consider gorgonians really plain, but that is because they don't fluoresce under the pure blue lighting that seems to be the latest craze. They're gorgeous corals.

I'll also note that all the corals on both frag racks came from AquaSD.

received_1523892361325922.jpeg received_659508552138390.jpeg

Last edited:

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked this one. Most of the rock flowers I see here in St Kitts are brown, white and brown, or green and white. I've seen some just like the one you posted, but never seen one with purple color.

View attachment 2574490

Do you travel/live in St Kitts? I haven’t been in years and there is some good diving there I want to experience! But yeah, a lot of those plain-ish white and gray ones can look pretty cool when under higher blue and violet UVs. They kind of “glow” a soft color of the lighting.

Absolutely agree with you. I intentionally go out of my way to make room for and collect some “plain” varieties of things. On one hand, I think they make others around them “pop” even more (like having a plain acan next to some really nice vibrant ones, or having “common” rock flowers mingling among bright and rarer ones).

That being said, I love and appreciate common corals and RFAs like the crazy ones, but I can’t bring myself to pay premium prices (e.g. $80 for one of those white RFAs) for “common” corals. ;)
I completely agree with this. Fire coral colonies on the reef look magnificent and they are the color or Dijon mustard. Or my blue ridge coral. One of my favorite corals, and it grows into such unique looking colonies in a reef tank, but it is brown.

Heck, a lot of people consider gorgonians really plain, but that is because they don't fluoresce under the pure blue lighting that seems to be the latest craze. They're gorgeous corals.

I'll also note that all the corals on both frag racks came from AquaSD.

Those are sweet! Gorgonians are underrated and under appreciated! I only have photosynthetic gorgs, and they are super easy to care for and grow super fast. I think more people would like them if gorgs weren’t so often associated with being non photosynthetic and thus difficult to keep.

I like to describe them as an awesome mix of some traits from euphyllia and SPS. They some what resemble SPS corals (awesome polyps and polyp extension, branching, etc.) and are slightly rigid. But they sway and provide the great movement everyone loves from euphyllia!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back