R/O system racking my brain!!

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need so real assistance because I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is working!

I have a 7 stage 200GPD system with a booster pump, auto flush 800 ml/min flow restrictor and pressure shut off switch. this system has been in running extremely well for 3 years. Last year we bought a new house so the system has been packed away for the last 6 months. Finally getting around to setting it back up. I run the 7 Stage Universal RO/DI Replacement Filter Kit from BRS (which is all new). After getting everything re-setup and running for several hours. This thing is not making a single drop of product water!
The pressure coming from the house is 45psi. I have the booster stepped up to 80psi per normal. I have a pressure gauge that sits in-line between the last carbon block and the first membrane. It does not detect any pressure and sits at 0.
I have pull the membranes and re-seated them. I even switched out my flow restrictor for a new one because it was not acting right. I have removed all the media and blew out the passages in case of clogs. I am not sure what else could possibly be the problem.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably the membrane ..all the other canisters would likely not be able to stop 80 psi. You may just want to replace it ..

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably the membrane ..all the other canisters would likely not be able to stop 80 psi. You may just want to replace it ..
I swapped the membranes thinking that the first one would possibly be blocking. However after swapping still not making product water even from the first one. They are both brand new.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped the membranes thinking that the first one would possibly be blocking. However after swapping still not making product water even from the first one. They are both brand new.you reseated it too ?

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn’t see you had one . Process of elimination removing stage by stage til water flows through then you will know ..

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it shooting out waste water but no product?
Zero pressure pre-RO is obviously bad but could be faulty gauge -- can you pull the line after last carbon and just visually see flow?

Like last post, one stage at a time is the way I'd go.
If you have standard cartridges you could unscrew each and drain,,, then run slightly unsealed to see if there's complete blockage before one specific stage,,, etc.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuck auto shut off valve?
image.jpg
image.jpg

I do not have a manual one installed.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn’t see you had one . Process of elimination removing stage by stage til water flows through then you will know .
I have. Started with disconnecting and running the tube (post-second carbon block) into a bucket to watch flow. Then removed one stage at a time. Flow was pretty consistent. The pressure gauge I use in-line between the carbon and 1st membrane, is good. It is the same gauge I used to test pressure coming out of the source and booster.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it shooting out waste water but no product?
Zero pressure pre-RO is obviously bad but could be faulty gauge -- can you pull the line after last carbon and just visually see flow?

Like last post, one stage at a time is the way I'd go.
If you have standard cartridges you could unscrew each and drain,,, then run slightly unsealed to see if there's complete blockage before one specific stage,,, etc.
Yes, all waste and zero product. I was thinking there could be a stage clogging or something up in the passage so I blasted them all with air.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that it could possibly be my auto flow restrictor. When I install an old 400ml/min restrictor from old system it builds up a little pressure on the gauge and I start seeing drips of product water. However I purchased a replacement restrictor and I am seeing the same issue.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 new membranes. Swapped them out. No change! Still not building pressure before the membrane. Still not making product.

hsd94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace the auto shut off valve and check valves, either it’s broken or not installed in correctly. It’s most likely the check valve.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace the auto shut off valve and check valves, either it’s broken or not installed in correctly. It’s most likely the check valve.
The issue was resolved. Of all things it ended up being the hole from the penetrating saddle valve. I drilled the hole a little bigger and the flood gates opened.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back