OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the live rock suggestions. I filled this tank 3 months ago and so far have nothing more ugly than what you see on the rock. 95% of the rock was dry rock. I do have to clean glass every other day but have to do that in my mature tanks as well.
PXL_20240616_160714574.jpg
PXL_20240616_160711206.jpg
PXL_20240616_160531776.jpg

I'm hoping the scrubber along with this 8 year old rock, much of it from the ocean will keep the uglies from getting too bad. So far so good buts it still early so I'm keeping my fingers crossed..
PXL_20240616_160621298.jpg

EDIT: for reference
PXL_20240323_014059192.jpg
Very very nice! Cooperband too in a 3mo old tank. Wowozaaaaa

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't set up a tank in about a year, but once I did my 55-gallon got every ugly stage possible and I fought and fought and it prevailed. Now the 55-gallon was a lot of work to get it to prevail. I can't imagine fighting a 180 with the uglies to the point that I don't want to turn on the lights. I plan on getting a 36-watt twist UV sterilizer should I wait for that to turn on the lights? Should I just not be scared and turn them on? tank just finished cycling today.
I have a 90 gallon I set up last September and have avoided them. Listen to BRS about keeping the lights completely off for the first 4 months! I did t for 3.5 months and it really does work. Now I did my rock 50/50. Half dry base rock and half live rock. With live sand. I also started dosing copepods early on. Fish do not need light, and it will go a VERY LONG WAY in avoiding the uglies.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second all the suggestions for real live rock from the ocean and NOT someone’s tank. Bio diversity from old rock in a tank can’t compare to the ocean (assuming the tank live rock was cycled from dry rock).

It’s very $$$ but cheap compared to all the corals and lights you’re going to wind up buying down the road.

I’d put this up there with a premium light for your corals. Take good care of it and you’ll be set for life.

-Matt

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second all the suggestions for real live rock from the ocean and NOT someone’s tank. Bio diversity from old rock in a tank can’t compare to the ocean (assuming the tank live rock was cycled from dry rock).

It’s very $$$ but cheap compared to all the corals and lights you’re going to wind up buying down the road.

I’d put this up there with a premium light for your corals. Take good care of it and you’ll be set for life.

-Matt
Thats one thing I have to take a step back and remember. I don't mind spending 50 bucks 4 times for corals but buying 200 bucks worth or rock I am ify. I just have never used it and so I don't know the luxury yet. I really just want to make 100% its true ocean rock but most of the websites look legit, just got to save a little and buy some. Also have got 2 gen 3 XR30 and trying to find my last one to light the tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back