Is the reefing community cooling down?

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting my first saltwater tank, but coming from the freshwater world, so can't exactly relate, but I feel like both hobby's are pretty unforgiving, and aren't for a lot of people, but that's one of the aspects that I like so much, there's so many times when you just feel like quitting, but if you stick with it and keep working, it really pays off and it's so satisfying to practically recreate nature. I hope to stay in the hobby for the rest of my life.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may shut down another tank or two myself. No one comes over to visit anymore, and I don’t need all these coral. I used to give away a lot, now I can’t even do that. The only tank I would never get rid of is my fowlr.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may shut down another tank or two myself. No one comes over to visit anymore, and I don’t need all these coral. I used to give away a lot, now I can’t even do that. The only tank I would never get rid of is my fowlr.
Your build thread is awesome congrats

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where are you located? I would love to come visit.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bummer to read. I literally just ordered a tank yesterday and I'm getting into the hobby for the first time.
This is a very rewarding hobby. As mentioned the internet thinks instant rainbow tanks is the norm, it’s not. This hobby is what you make it. If you want a basic old school tank with no name corals using basic lighting and dosing kalk then it can be affordable. But once you get into the high tech, high end coral, expensive fish dosing 2 dozen elements a day then it will be an expensive hobby. Best advise I’ve seen is take it slow, ask questions, and pick a method and stick to it.

805Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly feel that the reefing community was much more active during COVID. Many new people were joining, and there was a lot of buying and selling. Any equipment or frags would sell rapidly at relatively high prices.

However, since last year, we've started to see more people quitting, and selling frags has become much more difficult. Many frags are left without buyers for a long time.

I guess this isn't a good sign. It's partly due to the return to office after COVID, but it could also be a reflection of where the economy is heading. Any thoughts?
I'm a post COVID reefer and just starting. Guess I'm lucking out on some of the frag prices.
The economist in me is telling me there was spike in demand during COVID (Lockdown, boredom, solitary confinement, etc.) Supply couldn't keep up, hence the higher prices. Supply most likely increased due to the high prices (people and businesses expanding their coral capabilities via investments) eventually creating a surplus in corals and now the falling prices. Also, with everything re-opened or back to normal, people may be less active on forums or what not, but still reefing, causing an illusion of a dying hobby. But what do I know.

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a post COVID reefer and just starting. Guess I'm lucking out on some of the frag prices.
The economist in me is telling me there was spike in demand during COVID (Lockdown, boredom, solitary confinement, etc.) Supply couldn't keep up, hence the higher prices. Supply most likely increased due to the high prices (people and businesses expanding their coral capabilities via investments) eventually creating a surplus in corals and now the falling prices. Also, with everything re-opened or back to normal, people may be less active on forums or what not, but still reefing, causing an illusion of a dying hobby. But what do I know.

It may seem that way, but I promise you it's not. "Back in my day" the only forum option was going on Reefcentral to get shouted down by old farts on a website that looked like myspace. R2R is an awesome change in community and super active in comparison.

805Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may seem that way, but I promise you it's not. "Back in my day" the only forum option was going on Reefcentral to get shouted down by old farts on a website that looked like myspace. R2R is an awesome change in community and super active in comparison.
I stand corrected!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1_RH0Nw7fY1oQxsv8bh8FrLQ.gif

Who are calling old!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have discovered that if someone is talking about old farts they probably need to change their Depends. On a good day they don't hang around and get old, ime.

Elephant Converse GIF
Thus says the elephant.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back in my day the 'forums' were on Usenet. :cool:

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks check out this thread a person Trading as per our discussion.https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/looking-for-exotic-frags-in-exchange-to-my-large-and-xxl-colonies.1074156/

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back