OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the quality of the content. The issue is in asking us or a sponsor to sponsor you when we have no idea of your video making expertise, charisma, style etc is, is very difficult.

It’s like paying for a burger from someone who’s never cooked before.
Ha, this is my favorite post yet, so true!

Ultimately, it's completely ok if no one is interested in taking the risk on the project. I thought I'd bring up the idea and gauge the appetite of the community to see if there was any interest!

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the quality of the content. The issue is in asking us or a sponsor to sponsor you when we have no idea of your video making expertise, charisma, style etc is, is very difficult.

It’s like paying for a burger from someone who’s never cooked before.
How about you make that whole introductory post a YouTube video? Just something to get people interested

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, this is my favorite post yet, so true!

Ultimately, it's completely ok if no one is interested in taking the risk on the project. I thought I'd bring up the idea and gauge the appetite of the community to see if there was any interest!
There would potentially be interest if you created videos that presented whatever topic you choose from a new angle or in some way that was unique. I doubt members here are going to sponsor you by offering funding but they might subscribe which would be a step forward. If you believe the videos youd be making would interest people, I 100% encourage you to start! You never know where it may lead! I don't think funding is the right motivation personally though.

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would potentially be interest if you created videos that presented whatever topic you choose from a new angle or in some way that was unique. I doubt members here are going to sponsor you by offering funding but they might subscribe which would be a step forward. If you believe the videos youd be making would interest people, I 100% encourage you to start! You never know where it may lead! I don't think funding is the right motivation personally though.
Good input, Unfortunately, making high quality and differentiated content is expensive! I believe this is why most reefing YouTube channels "flounder".

The proposition proposed was "would the community pay-forward the value they may get from a video series"?

It sounds as though the risk appetite of the community may be too low for that! Which is fine!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good input, Unfortunately, making high quality and differentiated content is expensive! I believe this is why most reefing YouTube channels "flounder".

The proposition proposed was "would the community pay-forward the value they may get from a video series"?

It sounds as though the risk appetite of the community may be too low for that! Which is fine!
Actually most cell phones can and do make great videos. The trick is in the editing, that is where art comes into play. There are many free and low cost apps like Canva to help with that as well.

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually most cell phones can and do make great videos. The trick is in the editing, that is where art comes into play. There are many free and low cost apps like Canva to help with that as well.
I was more pointing to the cost of building something worth recording!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more pointing to the cost of building something worth recording!
Ok. If not the cost of the equipment or tank, then I am confused on that. Honestly the reefing niche is not large enough to justify a large investment in producing content, imo. It may augment some cost, but most top earners are involved in other niches like freshwater and reptiles.

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. If not the cost of the equipment or tank, then I am confused on that. Honestly the reefing niche is not large enough to justify a large investment in producing content, imo. It may augment some cost, but most top earners are involved in other niches like freshwater and reptiles.
The cost of the equipment and tank are the costs I am pointing to.

Regarding the Niche not being large enough, I think I'd have to disagree there.

If we take BRS TV as an example -With 300K subscribers (who we can assume are at least moderately interested in reefing content), if even half of 1% of people who are dedicated enough to reefing that they subscribe to BRS were also willing to toss $10 toward supporting a new channel providing content in their niche, that would be far beyond what a pretty neat setup would cost!

I think there are plenty of reefers out there!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of the equipment and tank are the costs I am pointing to.

Regarding the Niche not being large enough, I think I'd have to disagree there.

If we take BRS TV as an example -With 300K subscribers (who we can assume are at least moderately interested in reefing content), if even half of 1% of people who are dedicated enough to reefing that they subscribe to BRS were also willing to toss $10 toward supporting a new channel providing content in their niche, that would be far beyond what a pretty neat setup would cost!

I think there are plenty of reefers out there!
Out of curiosity, what content or topics would you plan to cover that would be either not previously covered or unique in your presentation?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just put this out there, if anyone is going to toss $10 to this guy to build a tank why don’t you just make it $20 and send another $10 my way. Maybe make it $15 since I already have a build thread on here and just purchased a second USED tank to build all while also living in my first home and doing projects on it lol

But in all seriousness I don’t mean to be a jerk but this is kinda crazy. Like others have stated how would anyone know you’re capable of doing anything with the equipment or money they provide to you? What if the project fails and the tank never sees water, is everyone getting the $10 back? Going for a $10-$20k tank right off the rip seems like the wrong idea for you. Maybe get a used tank off here or a 75 for $120 bucks when Petco has them on sale which is all the time. That’s what @Reefer Matt did and his tank is pretty gangster, and prob nowhere near 10k. I think that’s cooler than another tank with every bell and whistle there’s plenty of them out there

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What separates you from the rest? Why should I follow your videos? I’ve been doing this 20 years and helping people out and still don’t listen to myself half the time haha!
Now we are talking!

Great Question.

First I'll start with a reason why you SHOULDN'T follow me...

1. If you have been in the hobby for 20 years, I will likely never be able to teach you anything you don't already know about animal husbandry, reef keeping best practices, or water chemistry. I'm always amazed at how much time and effort people dedicate to these topics to push the hobby forward, and I likely will never come anywhere close to being an expert here.

But I do have a few strong suits that pair pretty well with reef keeping, that could add a pretty fresh take on building a reef tank.

1. I've managed a residential construction company for the past 5 years or so, and I think it has given me unique insight on how a reef tank could be "built in" to a residential setting. I have a few Ideas that others could implement on their next build on how to really integrate a tank into the house it is housed in.

2. As an avid DIY-er, I also have a few different Ideas on how some common reefing problems that still plague the hobby could be mitigated through some relatively easy changes to the common reef setup. (As an example, I have an Idea for a type of overflow that hasn't been used before).

3. The over-arching principal here is that - like @Reefer Matt mentioned, we don't have the most popular hobby, and its in all of our best interest to expand it as much as possible. I imagine the more quality content available that helps people find success in the hobby, the more likely it is to grow, and continue to evolve further

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just put this out there, if anyone is going to toss $10 to this guy to build a tank why don’t you just make it $20 and send another $10 my way. Maybe make it $15 since I already have a build thread on here and just purchased a second USED tank to build all while also living in my first home and doing projects on it lol

But in all seriousness I don’t mean to be a jerk but this is kinda crazy. Like others have stated how would anyone know you’re capable of doing anything with the equipment or money they provide to you? What if the project fails and the tank never sees water, is everyone getting the $10 back? Going for a $10-$20k tank right off the rip seems like the wrong idea for you. Maybe get a used tank off here or a 75 for $120 bucks when Petco has them on sale which is all the time. That’s what @Reefer Matt did and his tank is pretty gangster, and prob nowhere near 10k. I think that’s cooler than another tank with every bell and whistle there’s plenty of them out there
Ha, and the ribbing continues...

These are all fair points!

Regarding "does everyone get there 10 bucks back" - I was thinking about using a site like kickstarter or something similar to that to ensure no one was actually out the $10 until the project was definitely going to happen. I hadn't gotten that far yet, I wanted to her some opinions before pushing in any direction.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we are talking!

Great Question.

First I'll start with a reason why you SHOULDN'T follow me...

1. If you have been in the hobby for 20 years, I will likely never be able to teach you anything you don't already know about animal husbandry, reef keeping best practices, or water chemistry. I'm always amazed at how much time and effort people dedicate to these topics to push the hobby forward, and I likely will never come anywhere close to being an expert here.

But I do have a few strong suits that pair pretty well with reef keeping, that could add a pretty fresh take on building a reef tank.

1. I've managed a residential construction company for the past 5 years or so, and I think it has given me unique insight on how a reef tank could be "built in" to a residential setting. I have a few Ideas that others could implement on their next build on how to really integrate a tank into the house it is housed in.

2. As an avid DIY-er, I also have a few different Ideas on how some common reefing problems that still plague the hobby could be mitigated through some relatively easy changes to the common reef setup. (As an example, I have an Idea for a type of overflow that hasn't been used before).

3. The over-arching principal here is that - like @Reefer Matt mentioned, we don't have the most popular hobby, and its in all of our best interest to expand it as much as possible. I imagine the more quality content available that helps people find success in the hobby, the more likely it is to grow, and continue to evolve further
Your best bet then is to take your “diy” skills and use it as a side hustle for the tank! That’s exactly how I paid for mine! I built tons of tanks, stands, canopies etc and traded them for the equipment and live stock I wanted and needed to be successful with my latest 300 gallon tank. Only thing I buy is salt and chemicals and food.

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why don't you get a part time job to pay for the hobby instead of wasting your time on videos and content thats already been discussed over and over. The old fashioned way. If money is an issue this isn't the best hobby to get into. I have one of those 20k fish tanks that your talking about and it's a money pit. I've been doing this over 30 years. It's always something. Something needs to be replaced/upgraded. One fish is bothering another fish. Or you need to buy this chemical or this food.
Etc etc.

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet then is to take your “diy” skills and use it as a side hustle for the tank! That’s exactly how I paid for mine! I built tons of tanks, stands, canopies etc and traded them for the equipment and live stock I wanted and needed to be successful with my latest 300 gallon tank. Only thing I buy is salt and chemicals and food.
Wow that is awesome!

Unfortunately, the residential construction company is the side hustle!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you get a part time job to pay for the hobby instead of wasting your time on videos and content thats already been discussed over and over. The old fashioned way. If money is an issue this isn't the best hobby to get into. I have one of those 20k fish tanks that your talking about and it's a money pit. I've been doing this over 30 years. It's always something. Something needs to be replaced/upgraded. One fish is bothering another fish. Or you need to buy this chemical or this food.
Etc etc.
Ha, interesting opinion.

I don't share the opinion that all of the content worth making has already been made...

And I have spent some time in the hobby, I know how pricey it can be!

If there is no demand for fresh content, you'll never hear from me again! I'm just posing the questions to see if there is demand!

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am very good friends with multiple of the large reefing YouTubers and talk to them about it all the time. It is a massive money pit that takes years of weekly uploads to even get a small following. No company will sponsor and send you stuff until you have that following. If they are willing to send you stuff, they will REQUIRE positive talk and pushing of their products. Many of the large hobby companies actually require positive feedback or they stop sending you stuff.

Over the years I have been apporached by some of them and none of them like my "I am going to speak my mind so if it sucks, I will say that outloud for everyone to hear" mentality. You do NOT want to get dragged into the coroprate sponsorship world if you enjoy your freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back