OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just giving you a hard time really lol I too would like to have a social media following where I just get to do reefing jazz and people gobbled it up, but it’s tough and you have to produce results which in reefing takes years. Maybe if there already was a booming tank you could post and then pitch the idea you would have more skin in the game, see what I mean?
No, I completely get it. And that's a perfectly reasonable point.

Maybe I'm unique here, I just think that setting up a tank is the part that is the most fun to do/watch, so I think the most popular content would be of the actual "build". Once the tank is fully stocked, and just needs time to "grow out" it could be challenging to hold people's attention for a weekly series.

I could be wrong though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did. I said you would never get people to agree on things. People come on and argue basic, fully understood science.
The misunderstanding continues...

Im agreeing with you, You didn't say that "we should stop trying" like my follow up message implied.

I was just trying to imply that we should all hold hands and work together.

And I fully agree that getting the hoard to agree on a path could be challenging when even the relatively proven points can't be agreed on.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I completely get it. And that's a perfectly reasonable point.

Maybe I'm unique here, I just think that setting up a tank is the part that is the most fun to do/watch, so I think the most popular content would be of the actual "build". Once the tank is fully stocked, and just needs time to "grow out" it could be challenging to hold people's attention for a weekly series.

I could be wrong though!
I would agree with your statement about the build being the best part to watch- where you're losing everybody is how to pay for it. As others have pointed out, this is an expensive hobby. Why would anybody want to throw $10 to set someone else's tank up when that $10 could go towards their own? Most people that reef don't exactly have a ton of disposable income (because most of it has already probably gone to reefing!) so paying extra for content that they could probably get for free just won't gain any traction.

As far as the community aspect goes- I think you're looking at it backwards. As has been pointed out, it is hard to find a majority in this hobby. I don't think it will ever reach a point where we're all sitting in a circle agreeing on everything (Nor should we). Whatever interests you about the hobby, make a video about it, and if people are interested in what you have to say they will come. Your questions about "What everyone would be interested in" are far too broad, because everybody is in this hobby for different things.

Once you have the content created- why would people pay extra for content that has likely been covered before? Even if they're the same topics with a new perspective, with the amount of content out there it won't be anything incredibly groundbreaking, Especially since you're coming at it as someone who has been absent from the hobby for an extended period of time.

As someone else commented on, it takes a loooong time to build the kind of following that would make this worthwhile, and by that point you already have to have the tank up and running.

In conclusion- everything you seem to want out of this can't be forced. If you're in the hobby for the right reasons it will come. But just like everything in reefing, the good stuff takes time!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with your statement about the build being the best part to watch- where you're losing everybody is how to pay for it. As others have pointed out, this is an expensive hobby. Why would anybody want to throw $10 to set someone else's tank up when that $10 could go towards their own? Most people that reef don't exactly have a ton of disposable income (because most of it has already probably gone to reefing!) so paying extra for content that they could probably get for free just won't gain any traction.

As far as the community aspect goes- I think you're looking at it backwards. As has been pointed out, it is hard to find a majority in this hobby. I don't think it will ever reach a point where we're all sitting in a circle agreeing on everything (Nor should we). Whatever interests you about the hobby, make a video about it, and if people are interested in what you have to say they will come. Your questions about "What everyone would be interested in" are far too broad, because everybody is in this hobby for different things.

Once you have the content created- why would people pay extra for content that has likely been covered before? Even if they're the same topics with a new perspective, with the amount of content out there it won't be anything incredibly groundbreaking, Especially since you're coming at it as someone who has been absent from the hobby for an extended period of time.

As someone else commented on, it takes a loooong time to build the kind of following that would make this worthwhile, and by that point you already have to have the tank up and running.

In conclusion- everything you seem to want out of this can't be forced. If you're in the hobby for the right reasons it will come. But just like everything in reefing, the good stuff takes time!
This is helpful,

I really appreciate your productive dialogue.

First and foremost, regarding the funding: this was just an Idea to see if the vacuum of content in the reefing space was annoying anyone else (like it has been to me) enough to take action, and actually do something about it. Yes, I understand that this triggers people, as they are insistent that they aren't going to fall into a scammers trap, and they are uncertain about how the project will turn out. Completely justified hesitations, no arguments there.

What I may push back on is that they could get the content somewhere for free. I believe the reason that there is a lack of strong content in the reefing community is because the people making the content are working within their budgets, and time allowances, to make the best content they can about whatever their setup currently needs. This is great of them to do, and I love and watch this type of content, but I think even those content makers would agree that their content could have more mass appeal, and could gain more traction if the community that was consuming their content was also willing to make a small investment in making the content move valuable.

I do get your point that the interests in the hobby are to broad to give everyone exactly what they want, but to be frank, I consume quite a bit of content that is on the fringes of what I am interested in all the time, and as long as it is good content, I enjoy it. (For example, I'll watch videos of FOWLR tanks all day, even though I would never set one up for myself).

Regarding why someone would pay for content that they could potentially find somewhere else? This whole exercise started for me when BRS stopped putting out content with the frequency, and value that it once had. I searched up and down to find a replacement, and couldn't find anything. Whether or not other people feel the same way remains to be seen!

Regarding building a following, I feel like if everyone who has read this post so far was also willing to give the video series a try, we'd be well on our way to a strong following (I'd hate to read the comments section though...)!

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is helpful,

I really appreciate your productive dialogue.

First and foremost, regarding the funding: this was just an Idea to see if the vacuum of content in the reefing space was annoying anyone else (like it has been to me) enough to take action, and actually do something about it. Yes, I understand that this triggers people, as they are insistent that they aren't going to fall into a scammers trap, and they are uncertain about how the project will turn out. Completely justified hesitations, no arguments there.

What I may push back on is that they could get the content somewhere for free. I believe the reason that there is a lack of strong content in the reefing community is because the people making the content are working within their budgets, and time allowances, to make the best content they can about whatever their setup currently needs. This is great of them to do, and I love and watch this type of content, but I think even those content makers would agree that their content could have more mass appeal, and could gain more traction if the community that was consuming their content was also willing to make a small investment in making the content move valuable.

I do get your point that the interests in the hobby are to broad to give everyone exactly what they want, but to be frank, I consume quite a bit of content that is on the fringes of what I am interested in all the time, and as long as it is good content, I enjoy it. (For example, I'll watch videos of FOWLR tanks all day, even though I would never set one up for myself).

Regarding why someone would pay for content that they could potentially find somewhere else? This whole exercise started for me when BRS stopped putting out content with the frequency, and value that it once had. I searched up and down to find a replacement, and couldn't find anything. Whether or not other people feel the same way remains to be seen!

Regarding building a following, I feel like if everyone who has read this post so far was also willing to give the video series a try, we'd be well on our way to a strong following (I'd hate to read the comments section though...)!

I think the matter of funding really boils down to one question. What would paid content bring that you can't find for free? I'm just really struggling to grasp what that would look like.

I entirely disagree with the statement that there is a lack of strong content in the reefing community. It may not all be on Youtube, sure, but if you keep up with forums, blogs like ReefBuilders and reefs.com, follow reefers on Instagram (my personal favorite, I think it gives a more "behind the scenes" view) and are a member of your local reefing club, you should have all the content you need! There are some amazing YouTube channels out there that still produce weekly content/livestreams.

Also, when you say mass appeal, what does that look like to you? In my opinion, the reefing hobby doesn't really have one section that would even give anybody "mass appeal". The hobby is just too diverse to have one, or even a few, channels that cover it all. I agree with you that I consume content that fringes my interests, but I certainly wouldn't if I had to pay for it.

Using BRS as an example, the void they left can be filled with the avenues above I just mentioned. I see articles on ReefBuilders all the time about new equipment, as well as people on the forums here and other social media like Instagram discussing their experiences as well. It may not be in one package anymore, but the information you're looking for is still out there!

I think if you were to actually produce a video series (or even just a video!) on something in reefing you're passionate about, people would absolutely check it out. I think the whole problem with this post is that you didn't come to the table with anything. Show us what you're capable of, and if people are interested, they'll follow along. You can't find that out without actually making content, though!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are truly interested in doing this, I think you should start a channel on your own at first. See if you can dedicate the time and effort to produce and edit videos at least once a week for a year. You will learn how the algorithm works and what type of videos get the most views. Also, only about 6% of YouTube channels are monetized.

Paulk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new here… trying to learn as much as possible. I gravitate towards the “seasoned” along with newbies like myself. Not sure I’d pay for something that doesn’t demonstrate at minimum my out of pocket. Show me you will save me $20. I’ll give you $10. Anyway I feel im too new to even give this opinion. Best of luck either way. I’ll stay tuned just from this thread. I’ve heard of another platform if this doesn’t pan out. Instead of fans, you can all it Onlyfish lol

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Society is weird.

I’m just too old and from a different time. If I ever wanted something, I worked, saved, and bought or made.

When did this become the norm?

Make a channel or don’t. People will watch or not. Asking for money, upfront….

IMG_0137.jpeg

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Society is weird.

I’m just too old and from a different time. If I ever wanted something, I worked, saved, and bought or made.

When did this become the norm?

Make a channel or don’t. People will watch or not. Asking for money, upfront….

IMG_0137.jpeg
Since the beginning of time society has pooled money to support resources they can share together! Think public parks, or credit unions!

I'm no stranger to hard work, I spent a decade in construction, and the next decade in investment banking, I assure you long hours of hard work have always been a component in my life!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new here… trying to learn as much as possible. I gravitate towards the “seasoned” along with newbies like myself. Not sure I’d pay for something that doesn’t demonstrate at minimum my out of pocket. Show me you will save me $20. I’ll give you $10. Anyway I feel im too new to even give this opinion. Best of luck either way. I’ll stay tuned just from this thread. I’ve heard of another platform if this doesn’t pan out. Instead of fans, you can all it Onlyfish lol
I hold all opinions in equal regard! Would love to her what a newer reefer would be looking for in a new channel. Regarding saving you $20 have you tried renegotiating your cable bill? Ha- only kidding, thanks for the feedback!

BTW I'm trademarking OnlyFish...

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the beginning of time society has pooled money to support resources they can share together! Think public parks, or credit unions!

I'm no stranger to hard work, I spent a decade in construction, and the next decade in investment banking, I assure you long hours of hard work have always been a component in my life!
So this is a public aquarium? Ha

A decade in construction and investment banking, yet can’t budget for an aquarium at home? Those are typically very lucrative careers. Hard pass for me. Other peoples money, I understand in business…not so much for personal gratification. Best of luck though, they say a sucker is born everyday so you might have a chance at rakin in the dough!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a public aquarium? Ha

A decade in construction and investment banking, yet can’t budget for an aquarium at home? Those are typically very lucrative careers. Hard pass for me. Other peoples money, I understand in business…not so much for personal gratification. Best of luck though, they say a sucker is born everyday so you might have a chance at rakin in the dough!
Awww, I'm really sorry you're interpreting it that way. I hope you understand that I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll throw this out there, getting enough subscribers and watch hours in this hobby is not quick or easy. It took me about 5-6 months of cranking out content. You don’t get back pay for those views, only those after you’re approved and monetized. Also, you can make a little money here and there to maybe buy frags or equipment but without sponsorships, you’re looking at like $100 per 15,000 views on a 20 min video. Much less for shorter content. And getting 15k views on reefing content is not easy unless you’re an established business like WWC, TSA, etc. even Parker’s reef took a while to get big and Fragbox posted a video a day for a year to get a large subscriber base.

It’s nice getting something for my efforts putting up videos but if I calculated how much I made per hour, it would probably be in the $1 per hour range lol. I do it for fun so the money is just a little nice bonus.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the matter of funding really boils down to one question. What would paid content bring that you can't find for free? I'm just really struggling to grasp what that would look like.

I entirely disagree with the statement that there is a lack of strong content in the reefing community. It may not all be on Youtube, sure, but if you keep up with forums, blogs like ReefBuilders and reefs.com, follow reefers on Instagram (my personal favorite, I think it gives a more "behind the scenes" view) and are a member of your local reefing club, you should have all the content you need! There are some amazing YouTube channels out there that still produce weekly content/livestreams.

Also, when you say mass appeal, what does that look like to you? In my opinion, the reefing hobby doesn't really have one section that would even give anybody "mass appeal". The hobby is just too diverse to have one, or even a few, channels that cover it all. I agree with you that I consume content that fringes my interests, but I certainly wouldn't if I had to pay for it.

Using BRS as an example, the void they left can be filled with the avenues above I just mentioned. I see articles on ReefBuilders all the time about new equipment, as well as people on the forums here and other social media like Instagram discussing their experiences as well. It may not be in one package anymore, but the information you're looking for is still out there!

I think if you were to actually produce a video series (or even just a video!) on something in reefing you're passionate about, people would absolutely check it out. I think the whole problem with this post is that you didn't come to the table with anything. Show us what you're capable of, and if people are interested, they'll follow along. You can't find that out without actually making content, though!
You have his word that if enough people give him $10 he will absolutely make his first video haha...if you dont believe it, give thousands to make up for the lack of donations from others! You can then see him setting up a tank with your money!

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who is sponsored by two companies & honestly the sheer amount of time he spends filming, getting his wife to film, editing & reworking his content is like a second job.
The reward being a couple of tanks, some foods & supplements it barely seems worth it.
Without naming names, Ive seen an awful lot of previously great hobbyist Instagram & YouTube accounts become very clickbait driven with a constant need to shill the sponsors products & eventually they just feel like a cynical marketing exercise.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have his word that if enough people give him $10 he will absolutely make his first video haha...if you dont believe it, give thousands to make up for the lack of donations from others! You can then see him setting up a tank with your money!
Seems to be that way LOL! Interesting for a guy who has so much professional experience that he comes to a pitch without anything to show...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be that way LOL! Interesting for a guy who has so much professional experience that he comes to a pitch without anything to show...
Yeah...I find it more interesting how much he continued to try to get people to give him money even after being repeatedly told no...

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...I find it more interesting how much he continued to try to get people to give him money even after being repeatedly told no...
yeah even from the start I thought it was kinda disingenuous that he was asking to crowdfund a reef tank... like we all don't have enough expenses as is LOL

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah even from the start I thought it was kinda disingenuous that he was asking to crowdfund a reef tank... like we all don't have enough expenses as is LOL
Having read the whole thread, I've changed my opinion of this guy's intent.

It all came across as shady & about as convincing as a 1990s Amway pitch.
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office

tmecfowlr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People pool money for public parks and credit unions and entrust it to knowledgeable people for construction or banking. You’ve demonstrated no ability to produce the content you’re proposing. Don’t expect to gain any traction without producing a video first. I’ve read through the whole thread and found no one in support of this. Make a video or stop posting about it… lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back