HOB skimmer

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seriously... I was told to use them by every LFS and if I take them out my tank is cooked. I use wild goji pellets I have frozen but bad for nitrates correct? If I'm not cooked if I take my bioballs out what do I use instead?
I understand you are new and following instructions from places you trusted, but you have been provided poor advice. Bioballs are like…80’s tech

Instead of bioballs you could use seachem matrix, or even better, a few pieces of live rock that you break up into rubble. If you can buy rubble 1-2” pieces then it’s usually cheaper than buying whole rocks and smashing them, but not everywhere stocks rubble.

I’ll look up your tank but in general for all in one a good setup of layers is

Filter floss - that you replace every few days as it gets dirty

A bag of chemi pure - they sell this in mesh bags, they last about a month

Seachem matrix or live rock rubble

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you are new and following instructions from places you trusted, but you have been provided poor advice. Bioballs are like…80’s tech

Instead of bioballs you could use seachem matrix, or even better, a few pieces of live rock that you break up into rubble. If you can buy rubble 1-2” pieces then it’s usually cheaper than buying whole rocks and smashing them, but not everywhere stocks rubble.
Seachem matrix.. alright I have live rock in the tank. What happens if I take the bioballs out?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sponges work but get gunked up. Filter floss is cheap and easy to replace
Seachem matrix.. alright I have live rock in the tank. What happens if I take the bioballs out?
Your nitrates go down :)

Replace the bioballs with matrix or rock rubble

I personally like matrix and I put in a fine media bag

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way if you use a hob filter, its important to clean it out often. They hold rotting food until you clean it out, we call hob filters the 'nitrate factory' for this reason. If you are not cleaning at least once a week, this will be a source of nitrates.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way if you use a hob filter, its important to clean it out often. They hold rotting food until you clean it out, we call hob filters the 'nitrate factory' for this reason. If you are not cleaning at least once a week, this will be a source of nitrates.
Alright thank you. So here's my plan. I order matrix and purigen. I take bioballs out add matrix then put the sponges on top of matrix then add clearblue carbon and purigen. Should I remove the sponges? Seen below. If I remove sponges should I add marineland blue floss?
1720879428922.png

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are more inexpensive skimmers out there, but IMO a skimmer is not something to sacrifice quality for saving a few bucks. Much like lighting. With a 65, I'd consider a Tunze Comline DOC 9004.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
People say matrix is expensive or overpriced, but for small to medium tanks I don’t really agree.
Two containers of this. Each one is rated for 50 gallons. They are 6$ each. So roughly 12$ and tax on matrix and you’ll have leftover. It lasts forever and doesn’t need to be replaced
0CF814E3-86B2-47EB-94CC-D93FF530E747.png

Put it in a media bag and it will allow water flow but keep detritus out. I don’t now how much space you have but here’s a link to media bags and you can pick the size you want. You want a bag like this with zipper instead of drawstring. These range from 6-10$

And
Chemi pure - you can get a single pack to get started if you want, or you can buy bulk pack of 6 and save money and have your next 5 months of replacements ready to go

F00DF1AA-BDA6-4633-B889-7CA8300459A1.png

Or single is 12$
3B88443A-148D-4335-AF62-D11E60099831.png

12$ For single
40$ for 6

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say matrix is expensive or overpriced, but for small to medium tanks I don’t really agree.
Two containers of this. Each one is rated for 50 gallons. They are 6$ each. So roughly 12$ and tax on matrix and you’ll have leftover. It lasts forever and doesn’t need to be replaced
0CF814E3-86B2-47EB-94CC-D93FF530E747.png

Put it in a media bag and it will allow water flow but keep detritus out. I don’t now how much space you have but here’s a link to media bags and you can pick the size you want. You want a bag like this with zipper instead of drawstring. These range from 6-10$

And
Chemi pure - you can get a single pack to get started if you want, or you can buy bulk pack of 6 and save money and have your next 5 months of replacements ready to go

F00DF1AA-BDA6-4633-B889-7CA8300459A1.png

Or single is 12$
3B88443A-148D-4335-AF62-D11E60099831.png

12$ For single
40$ for 6
Do you use chemi pure?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you. So here's my plan. I order matrix and purigen. I take bioballs out add matrix then put the sponges on top of matrix then add clearblue carbon and purigen. Should I remove the sponges? Seen below. If I remove sponges should I add marineland blue floss?
1720879428922.png
No sponges in a reef tank in my opinion, it will just hold crud and foul the water.

Floss is for mechanical filtration, many run tanks with and without mechanical filtration. This is your choice, if you feel you have lots of debris floating around or would like to 'clean' the water, then use floss, but change it at least weekly, every 2 or 3 days is actually better. If you feel your water is clear and no floating debris or dust, then no need for floss.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sponges in a reef tank in my opinion, it will just hold crud and foul the water.

Floss is for mechanical filtration, many run tanks with and without mechanical filtration. This is your choice, if you feel you have lots of debris floating around or would like to 'clean' the water, then use floss, but change it at least weekly, every 2 or 3 days is actually better. If you feel your water is clear and no floating debris or dust, then no need for floss.
Alright. My list is:
2x Seachem matrix
6 count media bags for matrix
1x purigen
2x clearblue extra for replacement.
Anything else?
Filter plans: Take out sponges and bioballs replace with matrix take chemipure and aquavitro purigen out. Add chemi pure and purigen. Continue doing 2 weeks of 15 gallons water changes. Possibly after buying and putting everything in I will add some macro algae on top of the different filtration and maybe try to start a refugium.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add it if you want but I don’t think you’ll really need it

amazon says this comes with matrix. Did your filter come with a bag of matrix?
Shoot yea. But I threw it out as I was told too cause filter provided stuff is bad according to people. Does that product fitted for my filter come with the media and the bag?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back