Would this HOB skimmer be enough for my 65 gallon tank?

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am trying to buy a HOB skimmer so I am not just running a HOB tidal filter as its not enough. Im trying to lower nitrates and get rid of my GHA disaster with water changes. So I figured if I buy a skimmer it would help a lot. An icecap nano 50 is the one in question description says it'll work but I'm not sure. If not what should I get instead?

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends:

Bioload Handling​

The bioload of an aquarium refers to its ability to process waste in proportion to tank volume. Protein skimmers work best when properly matched with the bioload of the system.

• Heavy
  • Medium
  • Light
  • 20 gallons
  • 40 gallons
  • 65 gallons

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to buy it buy from here:

But I would invest in one thats a little on the overkill side...:

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count on lower nitrates getting rid of gha. I have a tank that I've been battling gha for 14 months and nitrates and phosphate are barely detectable and at times hit 0 so I dose. I'm not a believer that higher nutrients cause gha. I have another tank with nitrates 10-15 and phosphate 0.25-0.45 and have zero gha. For me the cause has always been using dry rock and lack of herbivores.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count on lower nitrates getting rid of gha. I have a tank that I've been battling gha for 14 months and nitrates and phosphate are barely detectable and at times hit 0 so I dose. I'm not a believer that higher nutrients cause gha. I have another tank with nitrates 10-15 and phosphate 0.25-0.45 and have zero gha. For me the cause has always been using dry rock and lack of herbivores.
Dry rock is the same cause for me. I dosed fluanzacole actually. Its dying and the corals are fine I just really need a water change soon.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to buy it buy from here:

But I would invest in one thats a little on the overkill side...:
Thanks for letting me know open box is a thing

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends:

Bioload Handling​

The bioload of an aquarium refers to its ability to process waste in proportion to tank volume. Protein skimmers work best when properly matched with the bioload of the system.

• Heavy
  • Medium
  • Light
  • 20 gallons
  • 40 gallons
  • 65 gallons
I plan on putting 6 fish in there what bioload would that be? Right now I have 3 a clown marble wrasse and royal Gramma, I plan on adding a small tang, dwarf angel and another clown. Your thoughts?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is the same cause for me. I dosed fluanzacole actually. Its dying and the corals are fine I just really need a water change soon.
I used Flux early on in the problem tank I mentioned above. It killed the gha then cyano took over. I dosed chemiclean for the cyano and then the gha returned. Its been a fun ride. I ended up just stopping the chems and have been manually removing it. I also started dosing MB7 but can't really say it helped or not. I think it's starting to come around now. I feel for folks going through it and it's the only tank. At least I have two other tanks to enjoy while I'm fighting the battle in the other.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Flux early on in the problem tank I mentioned above. It killed the gha then cyano took over. I dosed chemiclean for the cyano and then the gha returned. Its been a fun ride. I ended up just stopping the chems and have been manually removing it. I also started dosing MB7 but can't really say it helped or not. I think it's starting to come around now. I feel for folks going through it and it's the only tank. At least I have two other tanks to enjoy while I'm fighting the battle in the other.
I get you. I've been dealing with this ever since I got the tank. Same thing with the cyano. Did a sea hare ever work for you?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get you. I've been dealing with this ever since I got the tank. Same thing with the cyano. Did a sea hare ever work for you?
I tried one but it died within a week. While the gha is dying from the Flux maybe try vacuuming it off. You could even vacuum it into a filter sock to reuse the water if needed. This is from my last vaccum cleaning earlier this week.
PXL_20240928_222425444.jpg

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one but it died within a week. While the gha is dying from the Flux maybe try vacuuming it off. You could even vacuum it into a filter sock to reuse the water if needed. This is from my last vaccum cleaning earlier this week.
PXL_20240928_222425444.jpg
Just from using flux? I'm not even sure if my syphon is strong enough to pull it all off.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from using flux? I'm not even sure if my syphon is strong enough to pull it all off.
No it's been months since I used the Flux. This was all over the back wall and I was able to scrape it off with the syphon hose.
I saw your tank size and plan of maybe adding a tang. I would get a tang in sooner than later. I have tangs in my other two tanks and have no algae problems. After battling this stuff I'll never have another tank too small for a tang or two. I've had best luck with yellows and bristletooths for grazing the rocks. Yellows are only going to be available as babies now tho unless someone is tearing down a tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back