New to skimmers

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am just now buying a skimmer for my Hob filter 65 gallon tank, I am trying to turn it around from a briopis and GHA disaster. I have a skimmer currently it is a Icecap nano 50 HOB. It does fit my tank size. How do skimmers work and do I put media in them? What is tuning? How do I tune?
#reefsquad

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am just now buying a skimmer for my Hob filter 65 gallon tank, I am trying to turn it around from a briopis and GHA disaster. I have a skimmer currently it is a Icecap nano 50 HOB. It does fit my tank size. How do skimmers work and do I put media in them? What is tuning? How do I tune?
#reefsquad
I think someone would have to write a essay to describe how a protein skimmer works.
The basics of a protein skimmer is to remove nutrients from a aquarium trapped in the air bubbles before they can be broken down and available in the aquarium.

Tuning down is often to do with the “foam” produced inside the skimmer depending on models you may want to rise or lower the protein skimmer in a way that the “foam” being collected in the cup is not in excess or to little you will have to find a balance once you have it up and running.

Looking for a few videos on the model you will be using is always the best start and then ask more questions.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever been to the ocean shore, sometimes there is a foam that forms where the waves are just breaking at the water/beach interface. That foam is due to proteins in the water helping to hold bubbles intact.

In your skimmer, those bubbles rise and spill out into the collection cup. If it's tuned properly, the water will be greenish or brown and the tube the bubbles rise up inside of will get a green slimy scum. That's all material you don't want in your water.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back