Nano tank with filtration — skimmer and sand/rock only?

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m repurposing a standard 17 gallon tank for use as saltwater. It’s got a nice sand bed and tons of rock, cycled with TurboStart 900, and is ready for livestock. The plan is for 3 small fish, a few snails, and a hermit crab.

There’s no sump area and with a lid and light, there’s no room for a HOB. I could use glass lily pipes and a canister but was hoping I could get away with only a power head and a nano skimmer, which DO fit.

Would this be sufficient? I’m planning to do 15% water changes weekly. My main concern is removing loose algae, which any filter (sock, HOB, or canister) could polish out. I’m not sure if a skimmer would remove these particles or not.

Thoughts welcome, especially from folks that have attempted this.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no overflow you're going to want something skimming the surface of the water and breaking the surface tension.

I use one of these in quarantine tanks and they work great.

Surface Skimmer

You can fit some filter floss and even a bag of chemipure blue in there. I might do that plus a power head personally.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no overflow you're going to want something skimming the surface of the water and breaking the surface tension.

Surface Skimmer

You can fit some filter floss and even a bag of chemipure blue in there. I might do that plus a power head personally.
I think this is a much better idea than a protein skimmer.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15 gallon softie tank (with rfa’s and a few lps) runs with 2 powerheads and 5 gallon weekly water changes. It’s almost 3 years old, been running the same way the whole time. Point both poweheads to the surface to oxygenate the water. Keep it to 3 fish which is a low bioload, don’t over feed, and stick to weekly water changes and I can’t see why it wouldn’t be successful.

The skimmer could be a plus but it’s not a necessity IMO

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Surface Skimmer

Hey, I've been looking for something like this for one of my tanks. Thanks! Just ordered it!

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Surface Skimmer

I don’t really have room for anything chunky in the tank. There’s already a powerhead creating waves on the surface (and flow in the tank) and a Green Killing Machine UV filter. There’s a tiny Oase surface skimmer but whether it’s needed is up for debate.

But I’ll look at that thing and see if maybe it’s better than a skimmer.
My main concern is removing free floating algae.

17 is a small tank and with lots of rocks, it doesn’t leave room for much else and I’m trying to not clutter the tank. With glass on all 4 sides, cords are very visible.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really have room for anything chunky in the tank. There’s already a powerhead creating waves on the surface (and flow in the tank) and a Green Killing Machine UV filter. There’s a tiny Oase surface skimmer but whether it’s needed is up for debate.

But I’ll look at that thing and see if maybe it’s better than a skimmer.
My main concern is removing free floating algae.

17 is a small tank and with lots of rocks, it doesn’t leave room for much else and I’m trying to not clutter the tank. With glass on all 4 sides, cords are very visible.
A surface skimmer will keep the water surface cleaner but trust me, it is NOT better than a Protein Skimmer. Get the protein skimmer; it is the single most important piece of equipment because it aerates and removes dissolved organic compounds.

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A surface skimmer will keep the water surface cleaner but trust me, it is NOT better than a Protein Skimmer. Get the protein skimmer; it is the single most important piece of equipment because it aerates and removes dissolved organic compounds.

Agreed.

The real question I’m trying to get an answer to here, though, is: Will a skimmer remove free floating algae?

When I scrub my other tanks, there’s a good bit of it and while the siphon will get some of it out, the filter socks capture the lions share. I have no such option on this new, all glass (no sump) tank.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is the single most important piece of equipment because it aerates and removes dissolved organic compounds.
I have to disagree with that statement. Many people are successful without protein skimmers. I run three tanks and have no skimmers running

EDIT : I'm not saying protein skimmers can't be benificial but they are far from the most important piece of gear a tank needs

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with that statement. Many people are successful without protein skimmers. I run three tanks and have no skimmers running

EDIT : I'm not saying protein skimmers can't be benificial but they are far from the most important piece of gear a tank needs
So if you surveyed this entire site, what percentage of the experienced Reef Keepers( not new hobbyists) do you think use protein skimmers?
And please me what is most important oh wise one; you didn't say.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

The real question I’m trying to get an answer to here, though, is: Will a skimmer remove free floating algae?

When I scrub my other tanks, there’s a good bit of it and while the siphon will get some of it out, the filter socks capture the lions share. I have no such option on this new, all glass (no sump) tank.
Yes, they remove particulate matter.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m repurposing a standard 17 gallon tank for use as saltwater. It’s got a nice sand bed and tons of rock, cycled with TurboStart 900, and is ready for livestock. The plan is for 3 small fish, a few snails, and a hermit crab.

There’s no sump area and with a lid and light, there’s no room for a HOB. I could use glass lily pipes and a canister but was hoping I could get away with only a power head and a nano skimmer, which DO fit.

Would this be sufficient? I’m planning to do 15% water changes weekly. My main concern is removing loose algae, which any filter (sock, HOB, or canister) could polish out. I’m not sure if a skimmer would remove these particles or not.

Thoughts welcome, especially from folks that have attempted this.

An internal filter would work.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you surveyed this entire site, what percentage of the experienced Reef Keepers( not new hobbyists) do you think use protein skimmers?
And please me what is most important oh wise one; you didn't say.
Thank you, I've never been considered a wise one. Actually I'm quite ignorant with an 8th grade education. But I am smart enough to know that I don't know everything and just because a majority of people use a piece of equipment doesn't make it the most valuable item needed to achieve a succesful reef tank. I'm also smart enough not to take everything I read as the only way or best way to achieve that. There are many ways to be succesful and I think folks, especially people that may be new to the hobby can benifit from knowing that.
There is no one single piece of equipment that is needed to be succesful. There are many items that are not needed to get there. I have a long list of items some think are necessary that I do not. I won't bore you with the entire list but a protein skimmer is one of those items. I have 4 skimmers in storage so I do have experience running a tank with them I just choose not to.
These are shots from today of my tanks running with no skimmer.
Happy reefing.
PXL_20241021_011345863.jpg

PXL_20241021_011027651~2.jpg

PXL_20241021_010717996~2.jpg

PXL_20241020_183539201.jpg

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An internal filter would work.

I don’t have room for a HOB and while I can run a canister, the gist of the post is asking whether I can reliably maintain clear water running only sand, live rock, and a nano skimmer. Of course, there would be weekly water changes, but ideally not big ones.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have room for a HOB and while I can run a canister, the gist of the post is asking whether I can reliably maintain clear water running only sand, live rock, and a nano skimmer. Of course, there would be weekly water changes, but ideally not big ones.
An internal filter is not a HOB

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using a skimmer on anything under 50 gals 20 years ago. Regular water changes works just fine. Your 15% a week should be plenty. If you want a small internal filter that also surface skims there's a new SICCE that'll work great.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked them up. Not sure how this is superior to a skimmer, outside of being able to polish the water.

I never made that claim. However, they do provide flow, mechanical filtration, and allow for things like carbon and gfo. I would never run a reef tank without activated carbon (removal of hormones, DOC, etc). For me, a skimmer is optional if aeration is not an issue.

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never made that claim. However, they do provide flow, mechanical filtration, and allow for things like carbon and gfo. I would never run a reef tank without activated carbon (removal of hormones, DOC, etc). For me, a skimmer is optional if aeration is not an issue.

Ok, appreciate the feedback. I might have to experiment with filtration solutions to see what suits the tank best.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back