Is it possible to have a successful reef tank without a sump?

What type of filter system do you run?

• HOB

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Sump

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • other if there are any

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterproof cordless toothbrush

Eats it

Tears through it

Most things don't eat it because it's too long. Things can eat it when it's stubble
I’m gonna try that the next time I need to. I was pulling out what I could then hitting it with a manual toothbrush.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a sump, they weren't a thing when I started my tank in 1971. But I do run a reverse undergravel filter and dolomite gravel. It's still running and so far, no problems yet. :cool:

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
my tank has been running for 4 years now 65 gal. I have never gotten it to be under control EVER. It's always hair algae and high nitrates, I'm constantly trying to lower them however recently I've started doing 15 gal water changes. I've always run an HOB filter no skimmer no scrubber no refgugium. But that's all going to change. I'm ordering an icecap k-50 Seachem matrix purigen marineland floss and pure blue carbon then I will put some red macro algae into my filter with a light on it I am taking reccomendations for that. Is it possible for me to get successful with a HOB? Or do I have to switch to sump? Post pictures and explain your filter media if you are successful with HOB.
Sump will make your life easier IMO. Of course you can get by without one but if you want to have a beautiful equipment-free display and be able to house a skimmer, refugium, reactors, ATO etc, you want a sump. Plus the extra water volume is an ancillary benefit.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 gallon soft coral tank with no sump and no skimmer,,, single HOB (Tidal 110) for mechanical filtration.

I struggle more with LOW nutrients than high but have a small bio-load,,, only 4 fish + inverts and corals.
Hello there EricR.

What do you put in your Tildel? thanks

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ever there was an example of no sump being successful it’s the coral in a bowl setup
elaborate
my 65 mixed reef has been running a year on just a canister filter no sump, skimmer, scrubber or anything super fancy
72187815595__B3EAEBE8-0F0D-43D0-8C2E-D552BAE23302.jpeg

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a cordless toothbrush?
Never just

Used it last night to get all the crap off my frag plugs and frag racks

Snails
There's as many snails in there as there are corals, many are slackers. Of which will be visiting their terrestrial cousins soon

Flow
I can't figure out my MP10s. I had it set it for a schedule that turned itself down at night, but somehow it got lost. So now it is just set it for just one of the manual modes. But then at night, it just goes to a slow speed; it's like it has its own night mode. /shrug, it's doing what I want, I just don't know how

Toothbrush is 10 bucks
1000003112.jpg

Bauri Electric Toothbrush, Rechargeable Sonic Electric Toothbrush with 3 Brush Heads,Super Slim Electric Toothbrush, IPX7,3 Modes,White Electric Toothbrush https://a.co/d/1shLOSd

Last edited:

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers pull out dissolved organic compounds, sometimes undissolved compounds like dog hair

Refugiums are a refuge for macro algae, pods, sponges, worms, mangroves, miracle mud, etc

Some people put corals and fish in their refugiums, Julian Sprung has one off those

Very different functions for each

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toothbrush is 10 bucks
1000003112.jpg

Bauri Electric Toothbrush, Rechargeable Sonic Electric Toothbrush with 3 Brush Heads,Super Slim Electric Toothbrush, IPX7,3 Modes,White Electric Toothbrush https://a.co/d/1shLOSd
Amazed no company produced a waterproof tooth brush, slapped the word reef on it and sold it for the low low low price of $99 bucks :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazed no company produced a waterproof tooth brush, slapped the word reef on it and sold it for the low low low price of $99 bucks :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
It would be cool to see someone slap an 18” neck on one though. Then they could charge $99.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FUNGI how long do sea hares take and urchin is ordered by LFS.
@lil sumpin is 6w liight enough for fuge?
@Solo McReefer just a cordless toothbrush?
and also everyone are skimmers and fuges do the same thing or no?
Sea Hares will decimate the algae. They will take days/weeks depending on......however, please make sure you have an exit plan for the sea hare, as it will starve once the algae is gone

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back