Is it possible to have a successful reef tank without a sump?

What type of filter system do you run?

• HOB

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Sump

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • other if there are any

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ran with just an MP10 and 100 percent weekly water changes.
1000000053.jpg

This current tank while has a back sump, just hosts a heater pump and sick to protect pump. Nothing else
1000000827.jpg

You can run a tank with many different options. HOB, canister, sump, none, etc. it all depends on what you want and what your willing to do to maintain.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't take offense. From your numerous questions it's obvious you haven't spent much time reading and learning about the hobby. You need to educate yourself.

IMO keep your HOB filter and buy an HOB skimmer. AquaMaxx Bullet is a good one but there are other good ones too.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't take offense. From your numerous questions it's obvious you haven't spent much time reading and learning about the hobby. You need to educate yourself.

IMO keep your HOB filter and buy an HOB skimmer. AquaMaxx Bullet is a good one but there are other good ones too.
I'm buying a k-50 icecap and also starting a fuge

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Hares will decimate the algae. They will take days/weeks depending on......however, please make sure you have an exit plan for the sea hare, as it will starve once the algae is gone
Perhaps feed it nori or algae wafers my thought process. Recall others mention that and algae likely back soon enough.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do both a skimmer and a fuge you think?
I haven't owned a skimmer since I stopped selling them in the 90s. Wrong guy to ask and outside of aeration can't see value in having a skimmer yet Fuge can compensate for much of that aeration since most run it counter display lights although I'm pegging my off pH and letting it otherwise run 24/7. I also tend to overfeed. Bottoming nutrients out not an issue for me.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't owned a skimmer since I stopped selling them in the 90s. Wrong guy to ask and outside of aeration can't see value in having a skimmer yet Fuge can compensate for much of that aeration since most run it counter display lights although I'm pegging my off pH and letting it otherwise run 24/7. I also tend to overfeed. Bottoming nutrients out not an issue for me.
Alright. I'm ordering a small light for the fuge about 8 watts seen people in this thread use it before.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I'm ordering a small light for the fuge about 8 watts seen people in this thread use it before.
Worse case. Get a skimmer later. Best go slow otherwise end up on the sell forum.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse case? best go slow with?
Meaning if the Fuge doesn't solve your problems then get a skimmer. Fuge needs to be large enough or lit bright enough. Every tank is different and won't know until you start. Might need a brighter light to grow algae faster. BRS did a test on this where light intensity dramatically changed performance. I ran 18 watts where most run 8 and it worked for me. Experimentation part of the journey because no two tanks the same.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ran with just an MP10 and 100 percent weekly water changes.
1000000053.jpg

This current tank while has a back sump, just hosts a heater pump and sick to protect pump. Nothing else
1000000827.jpg

You can run a tank with many different options. HOB, canister, sump, none, etc. it all depends on what you want and what your willing to do to maintain.

Those are the tanks of someone with experience

And dedication

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning if the Fuge doesn't solve your problems then get a skimmer. Fuge needs to be large enough or lit bright enough. Every tank is different and won't know until you start. Might need a brighter light to grow algae faster. BRS did a test on this where light intensity dramatically changed performance. I ran 18 watts where most run 8 and it worked for me. Experimentation part of the journey because no two tanks the same.
Alright thank you will be taking it slow

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse case. Get a skimmer later. Best go slow otherwise end up on the sell forum.
OP if you did a survey on this forum on skimmers versus fuge it wouldn't be close. Skimmers are being used with the overwhelming majority of reef aquarists. I've been keeping reefs since 95 and never needed a fuge to reduce algae.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP if you did a survey on this forum on skimmers versus fuge it wouldn't be close. Skimmers are being used with the overwhelming majority of reef aquarists. I've been keeping reefs since 95 and never needed a fuge to reduce algae.
Cults would use that logic too :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kessil H80 if you wanna get something dedicated, I opted for a cheap grow light with reds and blues
@FUNGI how long do sea hares take and urchin is ordered by LFS.
@lil sumpin is 6w liight enough for fuge?
@Solo McReefer just a cordless toothbrush?
and also everyone are skimmers and fuges do the same thing or no?

William Bruckmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are those in this hobby that can get away with not doing water changes. The only I can do that is with a sump. Oversized protein skimmer, filter socks, and macro algae, are all components that make that possible for me. Also, heaters dosing pumps, thermometer wires, PH probes, are down there and keep my main display cleaner looking.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back