Tidal mesh installation.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea to try too
The basket will not go in any other way. I have one. I do like the trampoline idea though. The "gate" idea is valid but so is the possibility of overflow if it becomes clogged. Ditch the media, drill the holes, zip tie the netting to the holes. The only issue with this method is harvesting the algae, you will have to cut and replace the zip ties when you need to harvest the algae. I have a couple modded aquaclear filters while I think they are built easier to mod I like the tidals better as a filter overall. I dont know how many times an aquaclear will loose power and you need to disassemble it to get it running again never had that with the tidal, and the ability to "surface skim" and pull water from below the surface is a great design.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basket will not go in any other way. I have one. I do like the trampoline idea though. The "gate" idea is valid but so is the possibility of overflow if it becomes clogged. Ditch the media, drill the holes, zip tie the netting to the holes. The only issue with this method is harvesting the algae, you will have to cut and replace the zip ties when you need to harvest the algae. I have a couple modded aquaclear filters while I think they are built easier to mod I like the tidals better as a filter overall. I dont know how many times an aquaclear will loose power and you need to disassemble it to get it running again never had that with the tidal, and the ability to "surface skim" and pull water from below the surface is a great design.
Agree the trampoline idea is great hold cheatp down and elminate flooding from over filling

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could possibly make a flap in the corner or something to open it maybe

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small bag of matrix and carbon under the cheato. But it will collect detritus and start go raise nitrates. So looking at your threads. If i were you i would start with:
30% water change every 3 days. When doing the water change pull rock and set in the removed water. Vacum the sand under that rock very very well. The scrub the algea off the rock and replace. Do this until you have cleaned all of the rock you can and all of the sand! 3 water chabges takes you 80ppm nitrates to 8-10ppm. Then you have a new base level. Modify the tidal for cheato and monitor. Dump a bottle of pods in tidal with it turned off so they can get settled and the turn tidal bavk on. Keeping up with 10% water change per week. Even just 5 galloms a week. Thers is def an issue given all the algea in your tank and such high nitrates. I have never seen that high if nitrates when i was battling gha and the ugly stage i was pinned at 0 for months unt the algea passed.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah alright. I think that's what I'll go for, I wanna keep my matrix and carbon in there I will find a way..
I think with media already saturated and adding light to that chamber to grow the cheato you will have a new spot to grow copious amounts of new hair algae. The carbon is also not needed, when was the last time you change it out?

Small bag of matrix and carbon under the cheato. But it will collect detritus and start go raise nitrates. So looking at your threads. If i were you i would start with:
30% water change every 3 days. When doing the water change pull rock and set in the removed water. Vacum the sand under that rock very very well. The scrub the algea off the rock and replace. Do this until you have cleaned all of the rock you can and all of the sand! 3 water chabges takes you 80ppm nitrates to 8-10ppm. Then you have a new base level. Modify the tidal for cheato and monitor. Dump a bottle of pods in tidal with it turned off so they can get settled and the turn tidal bavk on. Keeping up with 10% water change per week. Even just 5 galloms a week. Thers is def an issue given all the algea in your tank and such high nitrates. I have never seen that high if nitrates when i was battling gha and the ugly stage i was pinned at 0 for months unt the algea passed.
This is a good plan of action.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with media already saturated and adding light to that chamber to grow the cheato you will have a new spot to grow copious amounts of new hair algae. The carbon is also not needed, when was the last time you change it out?

This is a good plan of action.
Changed carbon out a week ago. Ordered more last night a two pack and ordered more reef Flux too. Will be ordering a skimmer soon if this fuge idea does not work.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed carbon out a week ago. Ordered more last night a two pack and ordered more reef Flux too. Will be ordering a skimmer soon if this fuge idea does not work.
I dont know if this was mentioned in another thread or not but what is your maintenance schedule like?

Also what do you expect from this cheato "fuge"?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if this was mentioned in another thread or not but what is your maintenance schedule like?

Mantinence is usually picking out algae on my corals and scraping glass. I change filter every 2-4 weeks.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanna keep my matrix
So you probably have a combined 40+ years of reefing experience on here advising you to ditch the matrix. Why do you still want to keep it? You have been struggling with high nitrates. Getting rid of it will help you.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you probably have a combined 40+ years of reefing experience on here advising you to ditch the matrix. Why do you still want to keep it? You have been struggling with high nitrates. Getting rid of it will help you.
I'm just worried it'll crash everythjng I guess. Everything I've heard is that if you take it out your cooked. I'll try it.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just worried it'll crash everythjng I guess. Everything I've heard is that if you take it out your cooked. I'll try it.
In a fresjwater aquarium by al means you renove even half of your media you will def have a crash. The crash in freshwater iant feom the ammonia. Its the nitrite that the new bacteria forming from the removed media. In a saltwatsr aquaroum the sodium bicarbonate nullifies nitrites. In your reef your rock is holding all bacteria. With that much algea it will probably consume some of the ammonia before its detectable.
Thread 'Macro algae and ammonia (cycle)' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/macro-algae-and-ammonia-cycle.307894/

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I expect from this fuge that my nitrates will go down and my GHA dissolved.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll take that out once I'm home as well and just leave floss and carbon in the filter.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about water changes? That is what I am interested in mostly.
When I can do them I do them. Once or twice every month atp. But becuase I cant make my own salt and drive out and get some water I cant do weekly water changes which is what required without a skimmer.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back