OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I wish we had a way to wipe your memory of all things freshwater. Skimmers perform the same function as the floss in your tidal, but does a much better job. The organic particles and waste stick to the bubbles in the skimmer and go into the cup out of your tank. Rather than getting stuck in your floss where they are still in your water, continuing to decay and release nitrates/phosphates until you change the floss.
Interesting... so a skimmer is basically a filter that does a really good job.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thays my mess as of now i doubled the rock so diatoms are nuts. Only cuc is pods in the rock. I need a lot of snails and other forms. But im 2 or 3 weeks from my 180g being ready so im not throwing anything at this aquarium

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEs bubbles are great at cleaning. The bubble with air in the middle will attach to particles. They are then remobed by the cup on skimmer. Beem to a beach. The waves come to shore the foam. Essentially thats the oceans skimmer. If my family is at a beach and shore is foamy we dont swim the ovean is skimming out the waste

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could say that. It is a form of mechanical filtration. There are some technical nuances regarding the type of particles it will remove and it is not 100% of particles in a size range like a fleece filter sock, but it removes a majority of the stuff we need it to based on the properties of the waste material/particles. And it will likely give you a nice pH boost your corals will enjoy.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Keeping carbon around is sort of peace of mind. How would I have enough filtration if I barely used the Tidal?
Peace of mind for what?
What type of filtration does the tidal provide? It doesnt contain enough volume to hold enough media for adequate nitrogen process. Carbon is not needed usually can come in handy to remove medications or certain toxins from the tank. Dont put that stuff in the tank and you wont have to remove it. If you leave mechanical filtration in the tidal for longer than a day you are defeating the purpose of having it in the first place.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like was posted above take all reshwater knowledge besides water changes and throw it away. Rees through all your threads. Write down the pointers you have been given. You have gotten every answer known. If you make one change per 2 weeks in 2 months you will see a whole new aquarium. Trust its tough. Every beautiful tank you see on the forum has been where you are. And i mean everyone of them.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peace of mind for what?
I’ll take credit for that LOL. I mentioned earlier that I run carbon for water clarity and peace of mind that I have some level of backup protection if I do something dumb like stick my hand in the tank after applying sunscreen, for example. Its nice to know a little pollution might not wipe my tank out, especially with a 4 year old running around in my house :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peace of mind for what?
What type of filtration does the tidal provide? It doesnt contain enough volume to hold enough media for adequate nitrogen process. Carbon is not needed usually can come in handy to remove medications or certain toxins from the tank. Dont put that stuff in the tank and you wont have to remove it. If you leave mechanical filtration in the tidal for longer than a day you are defeating the purpose of having it in the first place.
Not sure I just like having GAC in my tank I guess. I can repurpose the Tidal if my skimmer is good enough. But is it good enough to support 7 fish?

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a saltwater aqiarium you need rock and power head. Thats all. You can run a full sps tank woth a powerhead and rock. No skimmer no carbon no hob filter. Waterchanges powerhead and rock

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with as you stated above somewhere turn the tidal into a cheato fuge and add the skimmer. The fuge will do more than help control "nutrients". All my reef tanks that were or are successful have run a fuge and skimmer no other filtration no socks no floss no roller mat. I constantly have issues in my 30g with just a tidal on it only thing in the tank rn are rfa's and unwanted algae. I admit if I really dedicated some time to it and did regular water changes it would probably look amazing.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i wish my 13 year old cared about my hobby. My 8yr old will defenitaly be managing his own tanks in a year or 2 he has a 20g freshwater now but im still the cleaner. When i trust him he will do his own water changes.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully at 14 like you he will be running multiple tanks. He is getting big into reptiles but i think once my 180 is running and corals go in next year he will be done with everything but saltwater.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back