HOB skimmer

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I currently have a 65 gallon tank right now with high nitrates. I want too buy a skimmer to try and help with the nitrates because all I have is a Tidal filter. Are there any relatively cheap good skimmers out there? Range 120-175$

Gman83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The aquamaxx hob 1.5 is a good hob skimmer. I dont remember the gallonage it handles, but I feel like 65 in its range. It might be the next size up. Used you can find the around 100-125 depending on condition. I bought one used, and it has worked great for going on 2 years.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I currently have a 65 gallon tank right now with high nitrates. I want too buy a skimmer to try and help with the nitrates because all I have is a Tidal filter. Are there any relatively cheap good skimmers out there? Range 120-175$

A skimmer will not remove nitrates. Think of your skimmer as the sewerage treatment plant of your tank. I would install a HOB refugium instead.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a HOB skimmer made by Coralife that I believe is still available for around $150. It is the 125. They come in 3 sizes, 65, 125, and 225. I think the 65 would be too small for you though, so I would recommend the 125. It was actually a great skimmer, mine lasted for several years.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it would help with nitrates.

The protein skimmer also helps to oxygenate water.

Weekly 20% water changes will help get nitrates down (how high are you nitrates by the way?) Also a refugium will consume nitrates from the water.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Weekly 20% water changes will help get nitrates down (how high are you nitrates by the way?) Also a refugium will consume nitrates from the water.
I've been doing 15 gallons weekly now I've done two changes. NItrates are at 80 last time checked.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a HOB skimmer made by Coralife that I believe is still available for around $150. It is the 125. They come in 3 sizes, 65, 125, and 225. I think the 65 would be too small for you though, so I would recommend the 125. It was actually a great skimmer, mine lasted for several years.
Im not sure. Reviews aren't great and its a basic company. Seeing things break and also seeing things about how the skimmer just isn't good. Thank you though. I was looking into IceCap but I'm not sure if they have HOB skimmers.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure about a refugium they look kind of weird to be hanging on the back. I dont think my parents would like it.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure about a refugium they look kind of weird to be hanging on the back. I dont think my parents would like it.
Skimmers do not remove nitrates or phosphates. They remove food and waste particles that break down and eventually become nitrates and phosphates.

So a skimmer can help your problem from getting worse. But they won’t fix your nitrates.

Water changes. Refugium. Gfo in a reactor. Algae scrubber. These are things that will help reduce and control nitrates

How much is the tank fed each day?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it would help with nitrates.
It removes organic waste which is eventually broken down into nitrate. So it prevents not removes.

Water changes removes nitrates.

I suspect you might be overfeeding to have such high nitrates, how many fish do you have and how much do you feed?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing 15 gallons weekly now I've done two changes. NItrates are at 80 last time checked.

20% may not be enough with your bio load. What is your stocking list and how many times a day do you feed?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers do not remove nitrates or phosphates. They remove food and waste particles that break down and eventually become nitrates and phosphates.

So a skimmer can help your problem from getting worse. But they won’t fix your nitrates.

Water changes. Refugium. Gfo in a reactor. Algae scrubber. These are things that will help reduce and control nitrates

How much is the tank fed each day?
I've done two 15 gal changes so far over the course of two weeks haven't checked yet though. I feed the tank based on how fast my fish eat. My wrasse eats all the food idmeadialty so I have to put more in there. Usually 10-20 pellets mostly all eaten quickly. So don't get a skimmer? Could I do a refugium in a Tidal filter?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removes organic waste which is eventually broken down into nitrate. So it prevents not removes.

I suspect you might be overfeeding to have such high nitrates, how many fish do you have and how much do you feed?
4 fish possibly 3 soon losing a coral beauty to sickness trying to treat hasn't eaten in 1.5 weeks :(

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick question for you. Not sure if you can answer. Im wondering if I setup my Tidal correctly. I have bioballs in the bottom on top of those I have two of the blue base sponges seen below in the picture some Fluval quick clear stuff aquavitro nitrates and Clear blue carbon. I'm thinking on taking Fluval out and putting in something else or nothing at all. Any tips on what too add or take out? I'm thinking of putting a refugium in it.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quick question for you. Not sure if you can answer. Im wondering if I setup my Tidal correctly. I have bioballs in the bottom on top of those I have two of the blue base sponges seen below in the picture some Fluval quick clear stuff aquavitro nitrates and Clear blue carbon. I'm thinking on taking Fluval out and putting in something else or nothing at all. Any tips on what too add or take out? I'm thinking of putting a refugium in it.
Bioballs are nitrate factories. We (the majority of reefing hobbiests ) stopped using them years ago

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioballs are nitrate factories. We (the majority of reefing hobbiests ) stopped using them years ago
Seriously... I was told to use them by every LFS and if I take them out my tank is cooked. I use wild goji pellets I have frozen but bad for nitrates correct? If I'm not cooked if I take my bioballs out what do I use instead?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back