Help! Acropora whitening and wierd strings

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this acropora frag from 2 months ago, it started to whiten a couple of weeks ago so i put it lower but its not looking better. What are those strings? Some kind of parasite? Or maybe its polyps are trying to get food or maybe from the vermetid snails next to it? Need thoughts
IMG20221120131155.jpg

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this acropora frag from 2 months ago, it started to whiten a couple of weeks ago so i put it lower but its not looking better. What are those strings? Some kind of parasite? Or maybe its polyps are trying to get food or maybe from the vermetid snails next to it? Need thoughts
IMG20221120131155.jpg
Your tank is young at 5 months. Lots going on behind the scenes.
I tell most reefers to wait a year before trying sps.
But, I see the strings and it looks like it is from the coral polyps.
What are all the parameters, lighting and flow?

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other sps are fine, this is a tank grown acropora, it was cheap so i bought it. I have 2 mp40s at 50% on lagoonal mode on anti-sync, an evergrow it5080 on 40% blues max 40% whites max (if i remember right). I have a problem with kh so that might be it. The latest test was a week ago, i since did a 30 litre water change with 1.030 and 12 kh+ 15g of sodium bicarbonate (because alk was low and so was salinity (had a leak that i just fixed))
Screenshot_2022-11-20-13-46-34-20_1d54afe52912c8f995eeb2be9920a257.jpg

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a green slimer since 2 weeks ago that i feel has lost some of its body color, the polyps are opened and are very colorful. Also have a acro nana from the same guy that looks good and the polyps are opened (cant really tell if its whiter because it was green/grey from the start). Anacropora looks very nice, montis are growing well, hystrix are also healthy. I aldo have anemones that are doing good. The only one that isnt is this blue acro and i guess a small milka that was doing great untill i pumped the lights up a bit and now its tissue is receding

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG swing can make them retract but for a few days.
Po4, I think this may be it. How long has it run this low?
I like to be minimum at 0.05.

Edit:, I swapped the previous and the latest column. Definitely get that alk up. You can move it one dkh in 24 hours. Just remember to get that salinity up to and that's going to also move alk a little bit.
I know I had a mishap with my salinity, they didn't like to run at 1.023 after being at 1.026

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost since i started it, only had one baby clown for the first 2 months, then aclimated a molly and 2 weeks ago another one. I am waiting for my fish order since march, but no luck. Now that i think about it, I got a antiphos in my reactor... Should i remove it?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost since i started it, only had one baby clown for the first 2 months, then aclimated a molly and 2 weeks ago another one. I am waiting for my fish order since march, but no luck. Now that i think about it, I got a antiphos in my reactor... Should i remove it?
My last reply had an edit just wanted to make sure you saw it.

I would absolutely remove it for now and keep an eye on po4

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit:, I swapped the previous and the latest column. Definitely get that alk up. You can move it one dkh in 24 hours. Just remember to get that salinity up to and that's going to also move alk a little bit.
I know I had a mishap with my salinity, they didn't like to run at 1.023 after being at 1.026
Its 1.025 now, i think it might have been a bigger swing than they like, didnt think it would be this big tbh. Ill do a kh test today

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back