White string on tang head

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini tang has a white “string” on its head at the front of its dorsal fin. See pictures, although admittedly not all that clear.

My Royal Gramma a month or so ago got something similar intermittently, I’d assumed it was some sort of slime or detritus from the cave it chose to live in, but a couple weeks ago it suddenly vanished despite being active and eating well immediately beforehand. So now I’m concerned for my tang.

IMG_2062.jpeg
IMG_2059.jpeg
IMG_2058.jpeg
IMG_1971.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My Tomini tang has a white “string” on its head at the front of its dorsal fin. See pictures, although admittedly not all that clear.

My Royal Gramma a month or so ago got something similar intermittently, I’d assumed it was some sort of slime or detritus from the cave it chose to live in, but a couple weeks ago it suddenly vanished despite being active and eating well immediately beforehand. So now I’m concerned for my tang.

IMG_2062.jpeg
IMG_2059.jpeg
IMG_2058.jpeg
IMG_1971.jpeg
Looks like floating poop that is sticky and especially so if feeding mysis shrimp which produces mucus. I dont see this as a worm or skin tag. It may be hard to do without fish dashing off, but apply bursts of water from a turkey baster and see if it dislodges.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like floating poop that is sticky and especially so if feeding mysis shrimp which produces mucus. I dont see this as a worm or skin tag. It may be hard to do without fish dashing off, but apply bursts of water from a turkey baster and see if it dislodges.
The fish do get a lot of mysis in their diet - hopefully that’s it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish do get a lot of mysis in their diet - hopefully that’s it.
I don’t think it’s a worm - they just don’t live like that on marine fish. I agree it is either some mucus or a skin tag from a scrape.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back