Greatings all

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Charles. Take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
IMG_0051.jpeg

tharbin

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm going to be a contrarian, once I leave the world of Aqueon/Marineland/Top Fin/Perfecto and other 'regular' glass tanks, I prefer acrylic. Nothing can more thoroughly bum me out about the hobby than a scratch in a low-iron glass tank Acrylics are clearer, weigh less (sometimes much less), have better thermal properties, don't have seam issues beyond the initial build and minor scratches can be repaired. Low-iron glass tanks are not really that much more scratch resistant than an acrylic tank. That said, I'm not really fond of either Sea-Clear or Clear for Life. Look at some of the acrylic fabricators, you will get a better tank.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
Charles Hillary

Charles Hillary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 and would be around 20 inches, I have a 90 that is around 24 inches. World of different. You wouldn't think 4 inches was much but, it's huge. Well worth the extra cleaning
Thanks, I think your right I'm going to bit the bullet with the 24" high. Not sure how reefers go larger. The coralline algae is a beach to remove especially on acrylic tanks.

OP
OP
Charles Hillary

Charles Hillary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Charles!!! And welcome to reef2reef. So there’s this little devil on my shoulder saying, “just welcome him”. And then there’s this little angel on the other shoulder saying “Glass is the way to go! Tell him! Tell him, I say!” Again welcome. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lol, Is your main concern with acrylic the scratching of the glass?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Is your main concern with acrylic the scratching of the glass?
Yes, I’ve maintained many a tank in my day and acrylic although is clearer and more shatter proof and no seams to leak. Which are all pluses. The easy to clean “glass”which I do daily or every other day is so easy and gratifying on my 180g. This is just decades of “gut feeling” regarding the topic. Enjoy the journey!

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome to R2R! I have a 180 with 24" of depth. Probably a good thing that I don't have to do anything with the back wall as the tank has a canopy. I like the height as it enabled me to build up the live rock and also make tunnels for the fish to hide in.

OP
OP
Charles Hillary

Charles Hillary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm going to be a contrarian, once I leave the world of Aqu eon/Marineland/Top Fin/Perfecto and other 'regular' glass tanks, I prefer acrylic. Nothing can more thoroughly bum me out about the hobby than a scratch in a low-iron glass tank Acrylics are clearer, weigh less (sometimes much less), have better thermal properties, don't have seam issues beyond the initial build and minor scratches can be repaired. Low-iron glass tanks are not really that much more scratch resistant than an acrylic tank. That said, I'm not really fond of either Sea-Clear or Clear for Life. Look at some of the acrylic fabricators, you will get a better tank.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Welcome. Always glass for me . I'd have an acrilic sump tho .
I hear ya, but i like the lack of maintenance and clarity or acrylic. Have you ever had leak with glass?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back