+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no...

Cause the event pretty much proved to everyone FWC doesn't know what they're doing and can make up regulations on the spot. Not to mention it could really put reptiles in a bad light as there's many individuals that simply hate snakes either for fear or safety and that misinformation spread could hurt the industry.

If you're someone who's selling reptiles, but some literal who walks in, says 'That looks like X!' they've proven they can be completely looney and proceed with ruining your business. It caused everyone to feel insecure about owning reptiles cause it went from 'we'll following regulations' to a doomsday clock to them cause there's no backup/support from the government being just stupid and no one can keep up with tomorrow's newest regulation for a pet they've owned for 10+ years.

Like the guy doing everything right shouldn't have had ANY worry, and got randomly put in a position where... well anyone in hobby's worst nightmare occured. There's even a quote from I think the governer that eased everyone's insecurities confirming that 'pets are pets, new rules won't affect them it'll prevent you from getting new ones or breeding them'.... instantly that was deconfirmed by FWC's actions.

Wanted to add to this, with an actual source this time

This is the main concern. FWC has officially said pet owners would be safe to keep their pets..... this is why the reptile community and reptile industry in florida is on edge cause this was flat out broken.

FWC just has no consistency at all, so regulations that seem small are still controversial cause no one knows how far or dumb those enforcing it will go. The moment they touch reef keeping even if its not as big as we think it absolutely is sensible for companies to want to move before florida makes a bad move cause even following regulations they have to be on edge.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.

...and I bet they ignore how many species have gone extinct/critically endangered due to cats but they're so culturally ingrained they wouldn't even attempt it but will attempt anyone with a venomous reptile or fish because 'its not normal'.
Actually they did attempt a kids day feral cat hunt in New Zealand. Lol. Didn’t exactly go down well.

Besides. My buddy is sleeping next to me while I type this. Why on earth would you want to kill this little guy?

IMG_5026.jpeg

Avast

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they did attempt a kids day feral cat hunt in New Zealand. Lol. Didn’t exactly go down well.

Besides. My buddy is sleeping next to me while I type this. Why on earth would you want to kill

Wanted to add to this, with an actual source this time

This is the main concern. FWC has officially said pet owners would be safe to keep their pets..... this is why the reptile community and reptile industry in florida is on edge cause this was flat out broken.

FWC just has no consistency at all, so regulations that seem small are still controversial cause no one knows how far or dumb those enforcing it will go. The moment they touch reef keeping even if its not as big as we think it absolutely is sensible for companies to want to move before florida makes a bad move cause even following regulations they have to be on edge.
Yep its not even worth it as a business to put up with all the regulations.

Wolfw28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you the people deciding this are most definitely not Florida Men. They might live here but they aren't of here. Don't worry though when the Republic of Texarflorida is established we'll make sure to keep things like this from happening again. Sorry Virginia you turned into an extension of the NY suburbs.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this is the Last thing we need to drive prices higher than they are

AS

PocketGoose

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add my 2 cents as a wildlife biologist employed in FL (not FWC currently, worked with them with threatened shorebirds species for the first few years of my career and have no experience with their law enforcement department, just conservation biology)

Unfortunately FL is heavily afflicted with non-native species including species we find in the aquarium trade such as lion fish, clown knifes, and other imported specimens. The impacts to our native faunal populations are severe and extreme declines are occurring in almost all environments. In my head it is understandable that action is necessary to prevent trophic collapse within our native ecosystems. The issue in the Everglades is great example of how the introduction of the non-native species, Burmese Pythons, have collapsed avian populations that used to number in the 10s of thousands. Lionfish have had similar impacts on our reefs.

Now, as somebody who loves this hobby I completely understand that we want the opportunity to do as we like with our systems - in a perfect world, individuals would exercise appropriate care techniques and make proper choices when getting rid of species that are not found in the state. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

Lastly, I believe we will still retain the ability to purchase what we’d like now and in the future. These often take years of legislation to successfully pass/enforce and there will be some time and modification that hopefully compromises our wants and that protects native populations found in FL.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another video update from the FWC commission meeting. I'm glad they're taking the time to research how many different species there are in the aquarium trade.

David Groos

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that they are worried about invasive species when you look at St. John’s county and how much deforestation to put in empty strip malls. I think we know what the real invasive species with the most harm to the environment is.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Driftdiver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a newly listed animal as a personal pet, you were able to get it chipped and keep it as a pet for its remaining natural lifespan. You could not obtain another animal even though it was to be a personal pet.

If you were a breeder you were required to dispose of your inventory by a certain date, by either sale of inventory out of state, removing your breeders out of state, euthanizing yourself or turning into state to be euthanized.

Situations where personal pets were euthanized by mistake were fortunately rare, but when it did occur it showed the total ineptitude of those charged with carrying out these ridiculous rules. Realize that misidentification is frequent when an untrained individual is faced with similar looking species/breeds. (Huskys, Malmutes, “Eskimo dogs”, and low level wolf hybrids are unfortunately often confused.)

The State itself is the worst offender here….introducing Peacock Bass for sport and predation in an effort to reduce populations of other intentionally introduced species. Releasing deadly Bufos toads to eat pests on sugar cane.

Genetic testing has shown that a tank full of Volitan lion fish that ended up in Florida bay when the wholesalers building was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew are responsible for the majority of lion fish now found in the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea. (Realize this occurred before CB)

Unfortunately the media loves to sensationalize everything and the scarier the story the better it plays. Giant invasive animals eating everything they can catch has been a tried and true B horror staple for longer than I have been around. Now we have real pictures of Burmese pythons eating alligators, the proverbial kings of the Everglades. Monster Nile Crocs cruising the waters near Tanimani Trail. Other Crocodilians known to be breeding and thriving on the various Army bases. African Rock Pythons, Green and yellow Anacondas, and Reticulated Pythons allegedly hybridizing themselves into super aggressive, super sized, cold tolerant monsters referred to as Super Snakes. 5 ft plus Nile Monitors and various species of Tegus with multiple colonies throughout the state. Let’s not discuss everyone’s favorite chicken of the trees and it’s related species that make a group of playschool kids on speed with open buckets of stain, paint, and indelible markers seem like high end maids.

Since it is so difficult to extirpate invasives once they gain a foothold, the only option is to stop them first. Whether it’s through sterilization, removing the animals from the environment or super strict protocols, there really aren’t many other ways to stop this scourge.

I look in my backyard on most days only to find 1 or 2 native reptiles. I go to the canal down the street and 75% of the fish are fish I used to keep from South America. There are also 4 different species of Iguanas, brown and green Basilisk, curly tails, and other non native species thriving there. (Skipping the birds)

Fortunately, there aren’t as many invasive marine fish, but even that has been changing. I have personally seen (Hawaiian) Yellow tangs, Achilles tang, Sailfin tang, Emperor Angel, and more when diving the east coast. Even better, most of these are single specimens who are caught and removed within a relatively short period of time.

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't live in Florida, but how are they going to enforce the registering of corals for those that already own them? This seems like it will just fuel a black market for reefing rather than do what they're proposing. Numbskulls

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back