Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like an older person who has no clue what younger people like and are interested in lol. Most young people aren't in this hobby likely because of the costs (of the hobby and the costs of living in general) and that young people are far more mobile (of which fish tanks are not).
I’m 36 bud. I was raised in decent environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida has some big problems when it comes to invasive species, so it's no wonder they are taking such drastic steps. Maybe if people in the hobby would speak up when they see their friends doing something detrimental we wouldn't be in this position. Also, in all these videos talking about this bill, I've never once seen someone link to it. Could be because it's not the end of the world like some people are making it out to be.
Hey, it’s not a bill. It’s a recommendation to the FWC staff. There’s another thread with articles, videos, and a petition to FWC that Top shelf provided from their FB page.

Avast

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like an older person who has no clue what younger people like and are interested in lol. Most young people aren't in this hobby likely because of the costs (of the hobby and the costs of living in general) and that young people are far more mobile (of which fish tanks are not).

Travel = expensive
Apple products = expensive
Tech in general = expensive
Designer clothing = expensive
Choosing to live in a big city for no reason other than it’s hip and to be around like minded people ( please stay there) = VERY EXPENSIVE

Young people are extreme consumers. They just choose to spend their money on different things.

This hobby is very expensive. But please don’t act like it’s anymore expensive than what other people choose to spend their money on.

My entire system is equal to the brand new iPhone, Iwatch, a pair of the noise cancelling air pods and a powerful laptop.

How many young folks have all of that?
It has nothing to do with money it’s that they think we’re weirdos. Modern Young people aren’t into this because they like spending their money on things they can flaunt in public and impress other people. Posting pictures of their science experiment of the ocean on reef 2 reef isn’t their idea of a good time.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to delete a number of posts. PLEASE, let's keep politics out of it and also, we are family friendly, so no nasty language, real or implied.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minute it goes political is when this thread will be shut down. This isn’t politics, it’s a bureaucracy. FWC wasn’t voted in. They were appointed. Let’s focus on how this will impact our hobby. It will most certainly affect people outside of the state of Florida as well. This is where we come together for our hobby and not be separated bc of politics…

Top Shelf Aquatics

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minute it goes political is when this thread will be shut down. This isn’t politics, it’s a bureaucracy. FWC wasn’t voted in. They were appointed. Let’s focus on how this will impact our hobby. It will most certainly affect people outside of the state of Florida as well. This is where we come together for our hobby and not be separated bc of politics…

Well now I hope it happens so people can see. People have to speak up and speak against over reach not shut down speech at the first sign of what they perceive as dissent. I get that it was political.

But it’s a political topic that directly will affect our hobby.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by the transitive our votes put them there. :face-with-monocle:
Lol you got a point. I got in the moment. It’s sad that ppl can’t put aside the politics. I’d be just as upset if this was happening in a blue state because it’s a love for our hobby and the ppl in it
Haters gon hate I guess ‍♂️

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida has some big problems when it comes to invasive species, so it's no wonder they are taking such drastic steps. Maybe if people in the hobby would speak up when they see their friends doing something detrimental we wouldn't be in this position. Also, in all these videos talking about this bill, I've never once seen someone link to it. Could be because it's not the end of the world like some people are making it out to be.
It's not a bill it's a policy so no one gets a vote on it. Lionfish aside, Burmese python problem wasn't from hobbyist releasing them it was from Hurricane Andrew hitting and taking out a breeding facility.

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a bill it's a policy so no one gets a vote on it. Lionfish aside, Burmese python problem wasn't from hobbyist releasing them it was from Hurricane Andrew hitting and taking out a breeding facility.
Just to play devils advocate, that breeding facility would not have been there if this policy was enforce at the time.

Nutramar Foods

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Own a house in Okaloosa and a farm in Walton.
Yup. Own a house in Okaloosa and a farm in Walton.
Nice my sisters and their families live in Alford. Originally from Loxahatchee, but it's now a suburb of West Palm so they moved. Once I retire I'm heading north too. I love South Florida but it's lost it's soul.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GirlGotTanked

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Father Fish is a great guy. I used to go to his shop in Venice all the time. I know as a Florida native, our reefs here have had some real decimation from the lionfish being let lose into the gulf. Also species like the boa constrictor, ball python, and other exotic reptiles have been exposed to the everglades and backwoods, which has disrupted that environment. We have wild chameleons. Chameleons only come from Madagascar and Yemen, so they love it here. Lol. This could have to do with that. We're big on aquaculture in Florida though so I don't think that this will necessarily cancel all of the pet industry. It's probably geared towards preventing things like this happening more, so limiting imports more than exports. I'm not saying that I agree with all of what's been going on in Florida, but over the years I've heard a lot of talk about how the exotic imports of animals have affected our native Florida environment. Even with plants. We have many foreign invasive brush and trees that I don't remember seeing years ago. Honestly, I'm disappointed that we only have 200 researched and approved species. The entire system should be functioning better than that. I love the reefing hobby, but if we could gear more towards captive bred species instead of importing wild exotics to Florida it would be an improvement. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone, and there has been some wild legislation going on here that I have not been satisfied with either.

Last edited:

LeDart

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Travel = expensive
Apple products = expensive
Tech in general = expensive
Designer clothing = expensive
Choosing to live in a big city for no reason other than it’s hip and to be around like minded people ( please stay there) = VERY EXPENSIVE

Young people are extreme consumers. They just choose to spend their money on different things.

This hobby is very expensive. But please don’t act like it’s anymore expensive than what other people choose to spend their money on.

My entire system is equal to the brand new iPhone, Iwatch, a pair of the noise cancelling air pods and a powerful laptop.

How many young folks have all of that?
It has nothing to do with money it’s that they think we’re weirdos. Modern Young people aren’t into this because they like spending their money on things they can flaunt in public and impress other people. Posting pictures of their science experiment of the ocean on reef 2 reef isn’t their idea of a good time.
As a younger person myself, I agree. People in my area blast their money on whatever is new and hip this causes them to have very low amounts of money, no care for others, their hobbies, or their beliefs, if you aren't with them, then you are against them.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back