Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if this passes, it's an import ban , is it an import ban from outside of FL or from out of the country? If out of the country, then coral farms can still raise and sell their frags and aquacultured fish?

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if this passes, it's an import ban , is it an import ban from outside of FL or from out of the country? If out of the country, then coral farms can still raise and sell their frags and aquacultured fish?
Whatever is on the proposed "whitelist" retailers can bring in or sell, in or out of Florida. But if its not on the list it cant be possessed in Florida from what the recommendation says.

Nutramar Foods

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was it. Item 10a

Summary of the letter: https://myfwc.com/media/31585/10a-sm-nonnative.pdf

They also have the drafts of the forms that would be used to see if the organism would be on the whitelist or not

I saw the video, was hoping it was a video of the meeting itself vs 2 people talking about the meeting. Anyway, from the letter:

"The first option applies to nonnative fish and wildlife species not documented in commerce in Florida and restricts importation of any new undocumented species. Species currently in commerce would maintain the regulatory status quo unless a future risk determination necessitates reclassification. •

The second option applies to nonnative fish and wildlife species that FWC has not evaluated for risk in Florida, or FWC has evaluated and determined are not sufficiently regulated. This option restricts importation of any unevaluated nonnative fish and wildlife species. Species that have been evaluated would maintain the regulatory status quo unless a future risk determination necessitates reclassification.

In each option, authorizations to import would not be issued until the FWC determines the species poses an acceptable level of risk to Florida."

Can someone explain to me how you go from status quo in the first option to needing a determination for both options? I guess I don't understand how you maintain status quo and also introduce something new. I feel like I'm missing something here.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video, was hoping it was a video of the meeting itself vs 2 people talking about the meeting. Anyway, from the letter:

"The first option applies to nonnative fish and wildlife species not documented in commerce in Florida and restricts importation of any new undocumented species. Species currently in commerce would maintain the regulatory status quo unless a future risk determination necessitates reclassification. •

The second option applies to nonnative fish and wildlife species that FWC has not evaluated for risk in Florida, or FWC has evaluated and determined are not sufficiently regulated. This option restricts importation of any unevaluated nonnative fish and wildlife species. Species that have been evaluated would maintain the regulatory status quo unless a future risk determination necessitates reclassification.

In each option, authorizations to import would not be issued until the FWC determines the species poses an acceptable level of risk to Florida."

Can someone explain to me how you go from status quo in the first option to needing a determination for both options? I guess I don't understand how you maintain status quo and also introduce something new. I feel like I'm missing something here.
In the letter, option one which you bolded, has the "not documented in the hobby" underlined. I interpret it as some new critter gets collected that never has before gets put on the assessment list. I feel this is more about bringing UNKNOWN critters in.

But with it down to species level, that's a mighty task to keep track of, especially with scientific names changing. Stop calling brain corals favia...those ARE illegal.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
Found video of the actual FWC meeting documenting what took place on 5/10/2023

Has information and shows the public questions that were asked. Thanks USARK for posting!

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough - just in my anecdotal (and therefore small sample biased) experience I’ve never heard of anyone being seriously hurt by small dogs or cats (unless they tripped over them or got an infection from a scratch), but I’ve heard of a lot of people needing seriously medical attention (and sometimes a burial plot) as a result of medium to large dogs.

I’ve only seen cities with (literally entirely unenforced) dog leash laws (again, anecdotal sample size, maybe they’re enforced somewhere else), so I’m actually kind of glad to hear some places have them for cats (at least if they’re actually enforced to any degree).

Knowing how dogs react to illnesses, I could definitely see that. I’ve only personally heard of the behavior in pitbulls, so it’s interesting to know it can happen in other breeds as well.

Again, as mentioned, as long they’re raised right, most dogs are totally fine (exceptions for Chihuahuas); it’s just been my experience that most owners either can’t or don’t put in the time and effort to raise them right.
They are only enforced when someone is attacked - if its off leash - the owner is (usually0 100% liable)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back