Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell that to the reptile guys. Look up the Holy Thursday massacre. FWC does whatever they want.

I'm also a "reptile guy". I feel so bad for those snakes. Surely there was something else to do besides euthanize a bunch of legally owned pets/breeders. I get that they want to keep invasive species out of the Everglades, but frankly, I think it's a bit too late for that. There are already thousands roaming about, funds should have gone to taking some of those out of the swamp instead of attacking a bunch of pampered and friendly animals secured in cages.

Top Shelf Aquatics

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People didn't know about it unless you were in the community
I have been hearing about it for awhile now. Local fish store is reptiles and fish. That not withstanding, I still don’t really care. Not gonna get spun up over conjecture of something that might happen. Worst case I’ll drive to Alabama or Georgia if I really want a specific fish.

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was posted somewhere else awhile ago I believe. It’s all conjecture at this point.

LoL. You give the regulatory/enforcement agencies way too much credit.
I agree. They are basically spitballing ideas.

Florida has some serious invasive species issues, such as Lionfish, but they are struggling with ideas on how to deal with them.

CLICK TO VIEW

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. They are basically spitballing ideas.

Florida has some serious invasive species issues, such as Lionfish, but they are struggling with ideas on how to deal with them.

“The Emerald Coast Open (ECO) is the largest lionfish tournament in the world! In 2019, ECO had 189 participants and removed 19,167 lionfish throughout the tournament – 14,119 in 3 days! ECO gave away $48,000 in cash prizes, and over $10,000 in gear prizes. We are looking forward to an exciting 2023 tournament!”
That’s the solution here. They started doing the same with boar. You still see both but the populations are way way down.

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hearing about it for awhile now. Local fish store is reptiles and fish. That not withstanding, I still don’t really care. Not gonna get spun up over conjecture of something that might happen. Worst case I’ll drive to Alabama or Georgia if I really want a specific fish.
FWC will find out.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Avast

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no they won’t. If that was valid there would be no illegals, no drugs, kiddy diddlers, no illegal guns, etc.
FWC uses social media to find poachers. They will surely use it to catch people transporting a little fish…

Avast

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, government overreach at its finest.
check out this article. https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2023/05/04/all-hands-on-deck-in-floridas-fwc-vs-pet-trade-fight/
Fellow Floridians start writing the FWC before tomorrow’s committee meeting.
would put an end to all the companies we love to buy from, WWC TSA to name a couple.

Those companies could always move to a different state. Texas, Louisiana? We have very little regulation on things like that.

There are some though. But not this extreme

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The Emerald Coast Open (ECO) is the largest lionfish tournament in the world! In 2019, ECO had 189 participants and removed 19,167 lionfish throughout the tournament – 14,119 in 3 days! ECO gave away $48,000 in cash prizes, and over $10,000 in gear prizes. We are looking forward to an exciting 2023 tournament!”
That’s the solution here. They started doing the same with boar. You still see both but the populations are way way down.
Oh, I have friends that go Lionfish hunting (I was raised just outside of Tampa) and I hunt boar here in Texas, where they are also a major issue.

The question, and I do not know the answer regarding Florida, how effective are these measures?

here in Texas, we got a lot of big ugly piggies running around.

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and? OPSEC is great but INFOSEC is better.
Ok highspeed, they most certainly do monitor social media, people have been caught with illegal pets(crows, gators etc), posting pictures of Goliath groupers, snook, all kinds of things. But you do you and go ahead and cross state lines with banned wildlife.

Corals.com

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those companies could always move to a different state. Texas, Louisiana? We have very little regulation on things like that.

There are some though. But not this extreme
Could definitely see that happening if this passes. I get they’re trying to limit invasive species but this is bad for business all around.

Rovert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an avid fisherman and hunter here in FL I can say that I absolutely do not trust the FWC to make any reasonable decisions.
Nowadays, can we trust any government agency to make a reasonable decision? </rhetoricalquestion>

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok highspeed, they most certainly do monitor social media, people have been caught with illegal pets(crows, gators etc), posting pictures of Goliath groupers, snook, all kinds of things. But you do you and go ahead and cross state lines with banned wildlife.

I’ll concede that and just say at worst people can’t post a millions photos of a boring butt Cardinal fish here. Or they need to remove the meta first. Not going to effect me.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have friends that go Lionfish hunting (I was raised just outside of Tampa) and I hunt boar here in Texas, where they are also a major issue.

The question, and I do not know the answer regarding Florida, how effective are these measures?

here in Texas, we got a lot of big ugly piggies running around.

I bow hunt and I’ve always wanted to go stick some pigs in Texas

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll concede that and just say at worst people can’t post a millions photos of a boring butt Cardinal fish here. Or they need to remove the meta first. Not going to effect me.

Keep that line of thinking. Some government rat somewhere is plotting on something you care about as we speak and you don’t even realize it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back