Does anyone else feel bad when a coral dies or isn’t doing well?

BRS

CamoFan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had a few corals but most of them passed on due to not being able to provide consistency in my water quality and the ones that didn’t I rehomed. And every one that has passed I’ve felt horrible about knowing that coral worldwide is suffering.

Does anyone else feel that way? How does one move on from feeling bad about killing coral?

Corals.com

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I have definitely cried over my fish they not my corals but my fish we love them like cats and dogs. We are humans we all make mistakes and feeling empathy is a good thing. I’d say trying your very best to not kill another one and maintain good parameters but sometimes corals die and it’s hard to avoid it could be so many causes and sometimes simply bringing it home may stress it. I think it’s okay to feel bad but don’t let it consume you because it’s a coral not a dog or human life.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

CamoFan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! We are humans we all make mistakes and feeling empathy is a good thing. I’d say trying your very best to not kill another one and maintain good parameters but sometimes corals die and it’s hard to avoid it could be so many causes and sometimes simply bringing it home may stress it.
I have one euphyllia (frammer) and it’s the longest lasting coral I’ve had. One polyp bailed and it’s polyps have shrunk/retracted.

I’ve gotten my params in line and have been steady the past two weeks. I’m hoping that he grows because I really want him to succeed.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeeeep...

I always feel like trash when any members of the tank die...

One time my wife even cried when the hammer perished from being too close to the torch coral ..

Just learn from ur mistakes and do better next time..
I’m definitely trying. My parameters have been stable for the past two weeks and the one euphyllia I have is starting to open up and eat since I usually provide it with a few pieces of mysis. It’s not very big but has 5 heads (was 6 but a polyp bailed) and the polyps have retracted. I feel bad but it’s starting to recover oh so slow. I’m looking at starting dosing my tank with reef chili or Red Sea AB+ to feed it what it’s missing.

Cheezle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had a few corals but most of them passed on due to not being able to provide consistency in my water quality and the ones that didn’t I rehomed. And every one that has passed I’ve felt horrible about knowing that coral worldwide is suffering.

Does anyone else feel that way? How does one move on from feeling bad about killing coral?
I feel that way about the SPS that has passed. My citron goby has claimed a few and so has my pistol shrimp, I always feel guilty for letting them parish. Same applies to my bullseye mandarin that jumped last night. They're all living creatures that deserve the best, even though sometimes there's nothing you can do to prevent or stop it, I feel a bit guilty.

However, it is nice to know that despite my failures, others are succeeding and that same coral I got my frag from is thriving. Or in my mandarins case, I rescued it from its hole in the LFS and gave it a great life while I had it.
Have to find the positive in all the negative otherwise it's just pain

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back