Dangit dangit dangit dangit

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my dude has ich. Only fish in the tank, tank is very new. Been in there close to 3 weeks. I leave for vacation a couple days tomorrow :’( so I can’t set up a QT til I get back Wednesday or Thursday. Just did a 10% water change.

He seems happy and healthy, very active and eating well. He’s white so we didn’t notice a couple small white dots on the tail fin. Can’t get a good pic since he’s white.

Is there anything I can do immediately before leaving tomorrow without ruining chances of coral? Should the tank be fallow 30 or 60 days? Since it is barely cycled, will a 1-2 month QT un-cycle the tank? As for the QT should I throw a rock in there and use tank water, or use fresh saltwater and do 100% changes every 3 days? And what medicine is best, it’s a diamond goby?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going on holiday maybe you’re best bet is do nothing let it naturally fight it
If you were a home then yes treat with copper in a quarantine tank but if it was Mei would leave it be and when you come back you could be pleasantly surprised. Do. You run a U V
If it looks happy and eating that’s a good sign

Other members may have different views

AndyS598

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish bring ich into my tank and thought the whole world was going to implode.

I read through r2r and ended up just focusing on quality nutrition and no other fish ended up getting affected and I haven't seen any sign of ich since. That's even with the stress of me rescaping a couple of weeks ago. If someone is looking after your tank, just make sure he is being really well fed with quality food and he may fight it. I've heard of people hiding food in their sand for diamond gobies so they eat it when they are filtering the sand. That being said, diamond gobies really need a mature tank... They filter the sand all day and if the sand is new, there won't be enough food for them.

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish bring ich into my tank and thought the whole world was going to implode.

I read through r2r and ended up just focusing on quality nutrition and no other fish ended up getting affected and I haven't seen any sign of ich since. That's even with the stress of me rescaping a couple of weeks ago. If someone is looking after your tank, just make sure he is being really well fed with quality food and he may fight it. I've heard of people hiding food in their sand for diamond gobies so they eat it when they are filtering the sand. That being said, diamond gobies really need a mature tank... They filter the sand all day and if the sand is new, there won't be enough food for them.
Hmmm ok. Yeah I knew it was a gamble with a diamond and without QTing first. We do have a great spirulina carnivorous frozen, and he sifts pellets out of the sand all day (I think he’s fattened up since getting him). Was going to let him have a 48 hour fast but now maybe we’ll get someone to feed the spirulina. Great to hear it sometimes resolves naturally. Sounds like it won’t be too late if we do need to intervene later this week.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my dude has ich. Only fish in the tank, tank is very new. Been in there close to 3 weeks. I leave for vacation a couple days tomorrow :’( so I can’t set up a QT til I get back Wednesday or Thursday. Just did a 10% water change.

He seems happy and healthy, very active and eating well. He’s white so we didn’t notice a couple small white dots on the tail fin. Can’t get a good pic since he’s white.

Is there anything I can do immediately before leaving tomorrow without ruining chances of coral? Should the tank be fallow 30 or 60 days? Since it is barely cycled, will a 1-2 month QT un-cycle the tank? As for the QT should I throw a rock in there and use tank water, or use fresh saltwater and do 100% changes every 3 days? And what medicine is best, it’s a diamond goby?

First thing is to try and confirm if it is ich or not. Clear pictures would help with that.

There really isn't anything you can do for it while you are gone, managing ich requires active participation.

Depending on how bad the infection is, it may be in a pretty bad way by the end of the week. However, if you then set up a quarantine tank and treat it with an amine-based copper product (coppersafe or copper power) you might still be able to save it.

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going on holiday maybe you’re best bet is do nothing let it naturally fight it
If you were a home then yes treat with copper in a quarantine tank but if it was Mei would leave it be and when you come back you could be pleasantly surprised. Do. You run a U V
If it looks happy and eating that’s a good sign

Other members may have different views
No UV yet. Wasn’t sure it was worth it for a 26g with nano fish…but if it turns out it is ich, that would be an alternative to a long fallow period?

Thanks for keeping me grounded everyone =) not freaking out about stuff is going to be one of the biggest adjustments for me with reefing lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
No UV yet. Wasn’t sure it was worth it for a 26g with nano fish…but if it turns out it is ich, that would be an alternative to a long fallow period?

Thanks for keeping me grounded everyone =) not freaking out about stuff is going to be one of the biggest adjustments for me with reefing lol.
Please again as requested post pics and even a you tube video under bright light intensity. While UV is helpful, it will not erase what is existing but rather what passes through the unit moving forward and slow down progression

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its Ich, why not go the hypo salinity route ( I think 1.010 ) ? Maybe drop the salinity before leaving on vacation and raise it back up upon returning?

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please again as requested post pics and even a you tube video under bright light intensity. While UV is helpful, it will not erase what is existing but rather what passes through the unit moving forward and slow down progression
I’ll do my best but he is fast and white and my camera isn’t good. Will post them if I can get them.

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic with the dots on the tail fin. There’s 2, maybe 3 max. Can’t see anything else wrong with the rest of the body or any other fins.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpeg
    IMG_1922.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 45

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic with the dots on the tail fin. There’s 2, maybe 3 max. Can’t see anything else wrong with the rest of the body or any other fins.

Those spots look pretty large to be ich. I can't rule it out 100%, but I think these are more likely broken fin rays. Since there are so few spots, you have some time here: I would watch these spots for a few days. If they remain in t he same location and the same number of spots, they aren't ich. If the spots come and go, and change location every day, that is more likely ich. You could, just to be safe, start to prepare for a treatment while you are observing the spots.

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots look pretty large to be ich. I can't rule it out 100%, but I think these are more likely broken fin rays. Since there are so few spots, you have some time here: I would watch these spots for a few days. If they remain in t he same location and the same number of spots, they aren't ich. If the spots come and go, and change location every day, that is more likely ich. You could, just to be safe, start to prepare for a treatment while you are observing the spots.
Ok great. I’ll check in the morning and when I get back and see if they’ve moved or multiplied, ready to treat if needed. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok great. I’ll check in the morning and when I get back and see if they’ve moved or multiplied, ready to treat if needed. Thanks!
Jay said it all and I am in alignment with his statement

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back