Do I need to cycle QT tank if I’ve added media from DT?

BiggDirty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’m in the process of setting up a QT tank (13.5 gal AIO). I plan on following Jay’s QT protocol when I get my first fish.

I just have a question about cycling, I’ve adding some biological media and a filter sponge which has been in my DT for over a month. With that said - do I need to still cycle my QT tank? Or should I be good to go?

I have some ammonium left over from when I cycled my main tank - should I be adding it to my QT? Or is this not needed?

Thanks!

PezJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't need to cycle. You only need to add ammonium if you're not going to add fish right away. Need to provide something for those nitrifying bacteria to eat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi guys,

I’m in the process of setting up a QT tank (13.5 gal AIO). I plan on following Jay’s QT protocol when I get my first fish.

I just have a question about cycling, I’ve adding some biological media and a filter sponge which has been in my DT for over a month. With that said - do I need to still cycle my QT tank? Or should I be good to go?

I have some ammonium left over from when I cycled my main tank - should I be adding it to my QT? Or is this not needed?

Thanks!
No- it will help with denitrification and extend need for water change. Just be sure to monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit. Do not add ammonia chloride as fish will build that level in the closed environment of 13 gals especially in a bare tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, that’s what I figured - I’ll leave it be!
Media that has only been in another tank for a month may not have enough bacteria living on it to reduce the ammonia produced in a QT, so be sure to monitor the ammonia during the process.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back