Convince me SPS dominant tanks are prettier than LPS and or softie dominant

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always loved the movement that LPS and some softies provide, post some pics of your SPS dominant tank or just some of your favorite SPS. I want to be convinced to start an SPS dominant tank next!

Here’s a short of my current 40g. softies, LPS, and 2 nems. - don’t mind the nuisance algae-it’s being worked on lol

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think the SPS charm is the challenge with keeping them. And how much PE you can get with them.
I’d say you stole my take except you posted first…
…added, it’s a pokemon card thing, collector mentality, et et…all/many hobbies need this dynamic

but aesthetically you can achieve anything off the hook with zoas, LPS, nems, whatever
edited

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on what you like. I am actually in the process of switching from a very successful SPS tank to a full Euphyllia tank strictly to do something different.

Top4.JPG

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand where you are all coming from, the challenge is the fun part and that’s why I want to try SPS but I don’t know, the lack of movement just seems eh to me

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more of a fan of mixed reefs. I like seeing a tank that is full of various life. While I love SPS dominant tanks, there is something about mixed reefs and having everything I love more.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the movement then stick with that. If you want the colors, the growth patterns and/or the challenge only offered by an sps tank, go with that.
That said, you could reduce the challenge by getting easier sps and increase the movement with the fish you choose.

My tank is turning sps because that seems to be what is surviving. I got some hammers and pectinia but just about every other lps dies. Got some solfties too, but they are more incidental than intentional. I also might be thinking an sps tank could be cheaper to fill. Monties, birds nest, poci, stylos all come pretty cheap or free and grow fast. I'm plagued with sunset monti while my gsp fades, withe after chemistry that should make the gsp thrive and kill the acros.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience with a mixed reef (why not have both, if you have the reefing skills?!!) you have to sort of lean in one direction for success. I love LPS, but my system and I tend toward SPS dominant mixed reef. So, go with the flow and make the reef that you love.

As far as movement, I sometimes wonder if so many of the beautiful stills we see are SPS, because it's all about color and coral structure rather than motion. Just a thought.

Geldof Mixed reef right side March 2024.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the colors are stunning aren’t they..

I have softies and LPS down I think so the challenge of SPS is what I would mainly be looking for

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the color and flow of LPS is very appealing but there is a large discerning difference that draws hobbyists to SPS... difficulty.
LPS corals are on cruise control whereas SPS require very regular attention.
I love them both!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set a tank up February 2023 to have a go at sps, mostly sticks. I spent some time watching my tanks the other day and was really noticing the lack of movement. I realized I could not even tell there was flow in the tank even tho I have 2 mp10s and 2 Nero 5s on a 36" tank cranked up. I'm bare bottom so I don't even see sand moving around. Not sure why but it was the first time I actually noticed the lack of movement.
If I could only have one tank it would have to be a mixed reef or all softies and leathers. I set up sps tank because I wanted the challenge of trying them which it has been. It was also my first time starting a tank with dry rock and barebottom using bottled bacteria so another challenge.

EDIT : I only have one piece that has enough PE to see movement :crying-face:
PXL_20240607_161721742.jpg

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I'm a huge fan of the shapes and colors of SPS. However, when I had a flourishing SPS tank, most non-reefers that saw my tank always gravitated to the few LPS, nems and softies I had in that tank. I guess movement goes a long way lol.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS corals are on cruise control whereas SPS require very regular attention.
This has definatly not been the case for me. Many LPS especially open brain type meaty corals like lobos, trachy, acanthophyllia, cynarina etc have been more finicky for me than the acros I have. I just threw a $500 acanthophyllia over the hill last week that withered away for unknown reasons after thriving for almost 2 years.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank of sps with no polyps out could be boring. Keeping alkalinity stable has helped me a lot with polyp extension. I have a flipper lens to magnify the little polyps and watch them dance around in the random flow.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back