Cirrhipathes - anyone know anything about these?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled across some wire corals (Cirrhipathes) at Archetype Corals. They look neat but there seems to be very little information out there. I found a few posts and articles but they're all from several years ago, nothing more recent. Anyone have any experience with these?

Any information would be welcome. [although I may just plunk down the $60 and try anyway, I'm a scientist, failure is always an option]

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people kept these types of corals over on Nano Reef and I was very interested in them myself. But they are strictly NPS and must be fed regularly to survive. That was the toughest part of keeping them and they would ultimately perish. If you had a NPS only tank, you might be able to keep them. I think someone on this site keeps one of these spiral corals in a NPS only tank, but not sure their experience. I think they also need a dimly lit tank due to algae growth inhibiting their polyp extension.

Personally, I have tried to keep some NPS gorgonians and while I had initial good luck, they eventually perished due to my lack of feeding often enough. I did notice in a grow out tub I was keeping my corals that the high level of bacterial growth increased gorgonian growth substantially. It also allowed for an oyster or clam to grow in my system without my knowledge. I originally used dry rock only from BRS, so I am unsure how the clam got into my system and onto a rock that was originally a piece of dry Fiji rock from BRS. My point is that if you can generate a lot of bacterial growth in your tank, that may be able to feed the spiral coral and allow it to thrive.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people kept these types of corals over on Nano Reef and I was very interested in them myself. But they are strictly NPS and must be fed regularly to survive. That was the toughest part of keeping them and they would ultimately perish. If you had a NPS only tank, you might be able to keep them. I think someone on this site keeps one of these spiral corals in a NPS only tank, but not sure their experience. I think they also need a dimly lit tank due to algae growth inhibiting their polyp extension.

Personally, I have tried to keep some NPS gorgonians and while I had initial good luck, they eventually perished due to my lack of feeding often enough. I did notice in a grow out tub I was keeping my corals that the high level of bacterial growth increased gorgonian growth substantially. It also allowed for an oyster or clam to grow in my system without my knowledge. I originally used dry rock only from BRS, so I am unsure how the clam got into my system and onto a rock that was originally a piece of dry Fiji rock from BRS. My point is that if you can generate a lot of bacterial growth in your tank, that may be able to feed the spiral coral and allow it to thrive.

Thanks for your response. Sounds like I'll save my money till I have more experience and/or want to try an NPS tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back