Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6408.jpeg

Current situation. The nastiness comes and goes with the light. This morning any section of the tank that had natural light on it had so much gross stringy sh1t. I’m ordering a microscope today to figure out exactly what I’m dealing with but in the meantime, I’m blacking out the tank for at least two days and will try to keep nutrients up.

I won’t be on much this weekend other than trying to stay current. Godspeed reefing friends.
You mean like this gross, stringy sh$t?
IMG_7767.jpeg

It’s everywhere. And my turbo snail has gone on strike.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7767.jpeg

My current plan is to get another turbo snail and an algae blenny and save my pennies for a protein skimmer.

Clowns gotta eat and the zoas need their light.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current plan is to get another turbo snail and an algae blenny and save my pennies for a protein skimmer.

Clowns gotta eat and the zoas need their light.
Fwiw, my lawnmower blenny was worthless when it came to eating nuisance algae. He mostly chowed down on frozen food.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fwiw, my lawnmower blenny was worthless when it came to eating nuisance algae. He mostly chowed down on frozen food.
wouldn't you?

ya... the kale chips and plain rice cakes are over there... enjoy....
Oh, me? I'm just going to enjoy these Lays, Doritos, and Ruffles over here...

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't you?

ya... the kale chips and plain rice cakes are over there... enjoy....
Oh, me? I'm just going to enjoy these Lays, Doritos, and Ruffles over here...
They have to be the spicy chips for me

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6408.jpeg

Current situation. The nastiness comes and goes with the light. This morning any section of the tank that had natural light on it had so much gross stringy sh1t. I’m ordering a microscope today to figure out exactly what I’m dealing with but in the meantime, I’m blacking out the tank for at least two days and will try to keep nutrients up.

I won’t be on much this weekend other than trying to stay current. Godspeed reefing friends.
So, fun story; when I started my first reef tank, I didn't know a lot about different algae and assumed the "stuff with bubbles in it" that appeared a few months in was just cyano. Proceeded with manual removal and waiting it out and it went away on its own... it was definitely dinos of some sort, but I didn't do anything special to get rid of it.

Also, when I set up a 10 gallon recently, I ended up with a lot of snotty stringy stuff... scraped the walls and floor of the tank (bare bottom) every day or so and siphoned out the crud with a turkey baster. Went away in a few weeks without any other intervention.

Not trying to discount the struggles others have had with dinos, but in a new tank, they might go away mostly on their own...

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, fun story; when I started my first reef tank, I didn't know a lot about different algae and assumed the "stuff with bubbles in it" that appeared a few months in was just cyano. Proceeded with manual removal and waiting it out and it went away on its own... it was definitely dinos of some sort, but I didn't do anything special to get rid of it.

Also, when I set up a 10 gallon recently, I ended up with a lot of snotty stringy stuff... scraped the walls and floor of the tank (bare bottom) every day or so and siphoned out the crud with a turkey baster. Went away in a few weeks without any other intervention.

Not trying to discount the struggles others have had with dinos, but in a new tank, they might go away mostly on their own...
I hope that’s the case as well… I’ve never had issues from the jump like this.. so I’m definitely a fish out of water in this sense. I recently had Dino’s in the evo. Left the lights off of a couple days followed by blues only and raised nutrients and it was all good. It’s weird to me to have them right off the bat. (If that’s in fact what they are) plus with this tank being much larger than the evo, I think my efforts have been a little watered down. Pun intended :winking-face-with-tongue:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that’s the case as well… I’ve never had issues from the jump like this.. so I’m definitely a fish out of water in this sense. I recently had Dino’s in the evo. Left the lights off of a couple days followed by blues only and raised nutrients and it was all good. It’s weird to me to have them right off the bat. (If that’s in fact what they are) plus with this tank being much larger than the evo, I think my efforts have been a little watered down. Pun intended :winking-face-with-tongue:
What's currently in the tank?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube question... how do you scrape the hard algae off the glass?

If you present the blade vertical, is the glass flat enough in that direction?
I use the scraper on the flat sections, magic eraser on the curved part and if it is really hard in the curved part, then I would gently use the scraper blade vertical like you mentioned to get to remaining bits.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the scraper on the flat sections, magic eraser on the curved part and if it is really hard in the curved part, then I would gently use the scraper blade vertical like you mentioned to get to remaining bits.
Gracias! Didn't think of the magic eraser in the corner.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_7767.jpeg

That looks like maybe bacteria bloom but there are other things that are long snot looking strands.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6408.jpeg

If I can beat the nasties so can you!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back