Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240705-093315.png

Finally got my sodium nitrate in so I was looking around for that calculator you linked. I found it in Frank's thread, but I had to leave this picture somewhere. Hi.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240705-093315.png

Finally got my sodium nitrate in so I was looking around for that calculator you linked. I found it in Frank's thread, but I had to leave this picture somewhere. Hi.
THATS FUNNY. YOU ACTUALLY POPPED IN MY HEAD THIS MORNING BECAUSE I HAD TO USE SOME OF MINE TO GET MY NITRATES UP AND I WONDERED if you had ever gotten it. I apologize for the caps lock. I wasnt yelling. I was too far into typing before I realized it was on to go back and retype LOL.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THATS FUNNY. YOU ACTUALLY POPPED IN MY HEAD THIS MORNING BECAUSE I HAD TO USE SOME OF MINE TO GET MY NITRATES UP AND I WONDERED if you had ever gotten it. I apologize for the caps lock. I wasnt yelling. I was too far into typing before I realized it was on to go back and retype LOL.
I read that as you yelling. Side note, since my mental image of you is in a pirate hat, you were also yelling with a pirate accent.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I haven't actually mixed any up yet, what amount/concentration did you end up calculating for?

That calculator is too smart for my brain.

Obviously it tells me ultimately how much I need for my size tank, but at what volume to make the solution, is where I'm stuck. Should I mix up 100ml, 250ml? I see I can fiddle with the concentration to suit my needs. But how much water should I start with?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I haven't actually mixed any up yet, what amount/concentration did you end up calculating for?

That calculator is too smart for my brain.

Obviously it tells me ultimately how much I need for my size tank, but at what volume to make the solution, is where I'm stuck. Should I mix up 100ml, 250ml? I see I can fiddle with the concentration to suit my needs. But how much water should I start with?
I just mix up however much I plan on adding to the tank to get my nitrates where I want them to be And dump it in. So this this morning I did a 1/4 of a tsp with about 6 ounces of water in a mason Jason jar. Put the lid on shook the (censored) out of it until it was clear and dumped it in. I don’t know that the amount of water really matters other than you need enough for it to mix completely. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I haven’t had any issues.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mix up however much I plan on adding to the tank to get my nitrates where I want them to be And dump it in. So this this morning I did a 1/4 of a tsp with about 6 ounces of water in a mason Jason jar. Put the lid on shook the (censored) out of it until it was clear and dumped it in. I don’t know that the amount of water really matters other than you need enough for it to mix completely. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I haven’t had any issues.
So I was definitely overthinking it then.

I bought the 1# bag instead, and it's pellets, were yours? I'm wondering how long those will take to dissolve. I do have a magnetic stirer so even if it takes all day at least I'm not doing it.

shake weight GIF

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was definitely overthinking it then.

I bought the 1# bag instead, and it's pellets, were yours? I'm wondering how long those will take to dissolve. I do have a magnetic stirer so even if it takes all day at least I'm not doing it.

shake weight GIF
Mine were/are small pellets (like the size of bb’s). A lot of them were crushed though. It dissolves pretty quickly in my experience. Like no more than five minutes and that may be way longer than it actually takes because it feels longer because I’m so impatient.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Becky, so I finally got around to dosing the nitrate, but after testing after a few hours I wasn't showing any increase.

It should have added 10ppm. Which should show on the test.

So what I'm asking is, do you test after you dose, and if you do, do you see the increase on in the test results?

Maybe I'm dumb?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back