Beginner RODI Questions

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So first time changing my RO filters and cartridges (bought it used) and running into some issues and questions.

First, is there a special tool to loosen the RO membrane? I can’t get that thing loose for the life of me. By hand or with vice grips. Perhaps I’m turning it the wrong direction? Turning left as it would sit on top? All the YouTube videos show it as a simple hand tighten (but I’m guessing the prior owner did not so this)

Second, is there a place to buy bulk DI resin? Or is the BRS brand about as cheap as it’s gonna get?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So first time changing my RO filters and cartridges (bought it used) and running into some issues and questions.

First, is there a special tool to loosen the RO membrane? I can’t get that thing loose for the life of me. By hand or with vice grips. Perhaps I’m turning it the wrong direction? Turning left as it would sit on top? All the YouTube videos show it as a simple hand tighten (but I’m guessing the prior owner did not so this)

Second, is there a place to buy bulk DI resin? Or is the BRS brand about as cheap as it’s gonna get?
Yes the RO housing just unscrews normally. Try a set of channel lock tongue and groove pliers.
Get yourself some molykote 111 and keep the orings greased with it.

As far as bulk resins go, im sure there are other companies besides brs that sell it.
You should know what type you really need... if not both types if you go this route.

I use a mixed bed and silicabuster from spectrapure that works very very well.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there’s a tool for it, but if oring was never greased with silicone, it might be difficult to open, even with the tool.
Unscrewing is Clockwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I apparently don’t have channel locks either so gonna be running to harbor freight to see what they got. And mine a spectrapure brand so keeping it lefty loosey

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back