Be honest..How GOOD do you feed your fish?

BRS

• My fish eat better than me (the best foods)

Votes: 85 52.5%
  • They eat good enough foods

Votes: 66 40.7%
  • My fish get what they get

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
This is not about how good your fish do at eating or how much you feed, but rather how good are the foods they are eating?

Is their diet varied, are they fed high quality foods etc?

bVQsLTJ1_t.jpg

image via @drukkosz

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much exactly what I fed... also had it's own fridge / freezer.

Also added Selcon and some formula 1/2 pellets and Nori from Whole Foods, then the Asian market.

Last edited:

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much exactly what I fed... also had it's one fridge / freezer.

Also added Selcon and some formula 1/2 pellets and Nori from Whole Foods, then the Asian market.
Yeah that's like the spoiled fish freezer starter pack lol my freezer is the same

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed daily with a mixture of frozen Omega Brine, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entrée, mysis, plankton, baby brine, and fish eggs (the last 2 are new additions). I also broadcast feed a few drops of Oyster Feast and some amino acids (Fuel). . .

I am still trying to dial in what I want to feed, but this is where I am at the moment. . .

wil-yuhm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scheduled meals few times throughout daylight hours partaking of various frozen foods, flakes, and pellets.
I was rather curious about pellets containing wheat but I am unfamiliar why wheat was added for example clumping/sinking characteristics for fish (like adding egg for cooking purposes) but since I refuse anything but whole wheat unbroken unleavened bread come meal time I ignored why wheat ingredient was added.
Pajamas, clowns, and Lawn Mower Blenny quickly indulge provided foods.
For Coral I directly provide Phytoplankton at least a couple of times a week (mini type of turkey baster).

And you @revhtree?

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen Mysis and gut loaded Brine Shrimp daily. I add raw Shrimp, frozen chopped Clams, fresh Clams, Phyto, Cyclops, and/or Nori two or three times a week. There are also pods in the tank. The fish are probably too fat. They eat good enough. I eat better though. I'm not allowed to feed them steak and pizza!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not about how good your fish do at eating or how much you feed, but rather how good are the foods they are eating?

View attachment 3014901
image via @drukkosz
Well, I travel a lot, so 98% of the time they get a mix of different pellets, auto-fed using a couple of eheim feeders 3 times a day.

When I'm around they get a weekly frozen food treat.

They're happy, colorful and growing so I don't think the fish friends actually care.

Tlledsmar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak nori in brine shrimp and RODI water for a week , then i dust it with garlic before lowering one of a 14 spoon rotation of silver polished spoons. Each fish is allowed to eat 1 whole spoonful at a time before I wipe it with a microfiber towel and offer to the next fish.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that we are what we eat so I try to feed my fish well. They get 2 meals a day and at least one of those meals is frozen, sometimes both. I feel frozen is more nutritious and I buy a large variety of carnivore and herbivore. All my fish are fat and I feel well fed fish fight off disease more effectively.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I also just made my first batches of seafood mixes. Fish love it:

1676076835160.png

food1.jpg
food2.jpg

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp, scallops, oysters, clams, pollock, PE mysis with vitachem and selcon in a mash frozen into cubes. That is along with large plankton and rotifers as the main staple at least twice usually 3 times a day. I have 5 anthias so I also squirt Calunus in the tank several times between main feedings for them. I was running 4 hatcheries so they had fresh brine nauplii when I was running them through QT. Formula one and two pellets for when I walk past the tank and they beg. Oh and nori for the beggar tangs. So ya they eat better than we do. Fortunaly I'm one of those people that eat to live not live to eat so it's all good. Gotta a love a good PBJ sandwich.
EDIT : Sorry OT but our pups eat better than us also. They have their own freezer, poor fish have to share with us. This is 125 lbs of raw meat diet we just finished grinding plus they each get a raw egg every day. Resized_20230204_212931.jpeg

Last edited:

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mysis and brine shrimp, pellets and nori with Selcon. Mostly my own frozen blended mixture of mussels, crab, scallops, salmon, oysters, squid, crab nori and octopus(only because it was included in a frozen seafood mix. I feed way too much, and three times per day. Since I'm still dosing nitrates and phosphates intermittently I guess it's okay!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back