Be honest..How GOOD do you feed your fish?

BRS

• My fish eat better than me (the best foods)

Votes: 85 52.5%
  • They eat good enough foods

Votes: 66 40.7%
  • My fish get what they get

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

captainsmitty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish get fresh salmon (amongst many other foods) I can’t afford salmon for myself. It’s like 40$ a filet :face-with-tears-of-joy:
As a salmon fisherman by trade how do you process the fish for feeding??
Thanks
Capt. Smitty
www.riptide.net

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a salmon fisherman by trade how do you process the fish for feeding??
Thanks
Capt. Smitty
www.riptide.net
IMG_4980 Small.jpeg

I started feeding salmon for my eels. First I cut into long strips for my eels. When they're full I cut the strips down. Serpent stars and anemones get smaller chunks. Then everything else gets a fine chop and fed to my reef tank. I feed 1-2 times a week alternating with a less fatty fish or squid.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine get pellets from an auto feeder twice per day. I do LRS Reef Frenzy once per day and nori every other day.

Question on the nori - only my Whitetail Bristletooth Tang and Solar Wrasse eat the nori. I had been putting it in daily - I’ve cut back to every other day. It seems like everyone here says a couple of times per week. What are the thoughts on that? What’s the negative of feeding nori more often?
I don't think there is a negative as pertaining to the fish eating it. The reasons why I feed nori every other day is because nori is supposedly high in phosphorus but mostly because when I fed every day my Tang and Magnificent Foxface started to get lazy on there algae cleanup duties so I switched to every other day.

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on the nori - only my Whitetail Bristletooth Tang and Solar Wrasse eat the nori. I had been putting it in daily - I’ve cut back to every other day. It seems like everyone here says a couple of times per week. What are the thoughts on that? What’s the negative of feeding nori more often?
I have 3 fish who eat Nori ( Rabbit fish, hyppo tang and Eibli dwarf angel) . I feed a large LRS premium seaweed sheet daily. It is completely gone in the evening. I do not see why one should restrict the plant diet of herbivore fish and give them meaty food instead. I doubt that is is good for them on a long run. I have the rabbit fish and the angel for 7 years, and the hyppo for over 3 years.
If the sheet you give to your fish disappear every day, do not give less you may even have to increase the amount. If you have leftover at the end of the day give less.

cmor1701d

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a contrary opinion, years ago I read research on calorie restricted diets leading to longer lifespans and healthier animals, including fish. The data was being extrapolated to humans suggesting a 30% restriction of caloric intake would be best.

I started feeding the fish only 3-4 days a week and only once a day. Nori was placed every other day for the hippo, sailfin, and yellow tangs as well as the foxface lo.
Those fish lived 5-10 years until the tank crashed due to superstore sandy.

Here's some information about calorie restrictions....
"Research has shown that sharp reductions in the amount of food consumed can help fish, rats and monkeys live longer." https://www.npr.org/sections/thesa lt/2018/04 /02/598295025/scientists-say-you-may-live -longer-by-severely-restricting-calories

I am unable to find the original research papers on the subject but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to rely to much on LFS food but I do feed LRS food. I also feed fresh clams.

Live white worms.

AndPods :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I guess those pods add iron to their diet!

Pridedcloth3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 3 different kinds of frozen 1 flake and one pellet in rotation. They don't care for the pellets so they're mostly just here. With my tank being a 45 aio I only feed one cube a day. There's also a solid pod population for snacking so I figure they're doing pretty good.

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does double duty; half beer, half fish stuff... still waiting for someone to drink the Phyto or Baby Brine :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

LOL

Wouldn't be enough space for me :p

We used to run a brewpub with 52 taps, so lots of beer...

ErinT

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not about how good your fish do at eating or how much you feed, but rather how good are the foods they are eating?

Is their diet varied, are they fed high quality foods etc?

View attachment 3014901
image via @drukkosz
I feed a variety of omega - mysis, emerald, marine, shrimp- but in reading these posts I don’t think I feed enough!!! I do a cube or 2 now that I have an anemone. (No coral). I feel like the pro people I have had helping me are keeping my fish small!!!! Time to re-evaluate.

WallyTime7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frozen mysis and brine shrimp, pellets and nori with Selcon. Mostly my own frozen blended mixture of mussels, crab, scallops, salmon, oysters, squid, crab nori and octopus(only because it was included in a frozen seafood mix. I feed way too much, and three times per day. Since I'm still dosing nitrates and phosphates intermittently I guess it's okay!
What phosphate do you dose?

killer2001

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always funny when you tell someone who doesn't know anything about fish that you have to feed your fish, and they think its a 15 second ordeal where you just grab a pinch of flake and throw it in. Meanwhile, I'm grabbing 3 different frozen food packages, grinding up some algae wafer, dosing phyto, scoop of newly hatched baby brine, white worms... And they sitting there like...

Mood What GIF by NBC

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What phosphate do you dose?
I was using so much Neo Phos that I started making my own from Dibasic sodium phosphate granules. I do the same with nitrates. It's dirt cheap to buy your own chemicals.

Attachments

• 6F9AE53D-7BDE-4350-A3C4-18102D2C98A4.jpeg
    6F9AE53D-7BDE-4350-A3C4-18102D2C98A4.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A8B0D9D9-66C6-4123-ADB4-16AFA1EE0791.jpeg
    A8B0D9D9-66C6-4123-ADB4-16AFA1EE0791.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 4
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back