Frosty Fish Feast: Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

BRS

Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

• Yes, I regularly feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 518 82.1%
  • Yes, I occasionally feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 70 11.1%
  • Yes, I rarely feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • No, I do not feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here, but I wouldn't use tank water. I would use the cleanest (Sterile) containers you can and use the cleanest RODI or RO water. (I've done this with RO water to no ill effects yet.) I throw the containers in the fridge. The reason is tank water contains billions of bacteria that are used to eating meat. I wouldn't do that as it will spoil the food. You can certainly do this, just make sure all the equipment is as sterile as possible and use sterile water.

I think the idea is great, it's what I do for my fish keepers when I'm going on vacation.

I appreciate the insight.. I have been feeding this way as long as I have had my reef so a few years now. Never once had any issues with sickness, deaths, or water parameters going awry.

I get what you mean about the bacteria, and yes, I am sure some of the food gets broken down by the last day.

I mix up a half pint mason jar with about 40 cubes, just enough tank water to dissolve the cubes and then the whole jar goes in the fridge immediately to defrost. The low temp of the fridge I am certain keeps the bacteria at bay and prevents spoilage.

The nose knows. If it smells even a tiny bit off, I toss it out and start fresh. That has only happened once.

Now, having said that, here is a thought that I personally believe has more merit than the bacteria issue. If you have any illness in the tank, (ich, velvet, Aiptasia, other algae issues) and you use the tank water to defrost the food and feed several tanks from the same batch, you can (and in my case) will spread these problems to other tanks. I have Aiptasia in 2 of my tanks now and I am sure it is because of the food.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back