Be honest..How GOOD do you feed your fish?

BRS

Be honest..How GOOD do you feed your fish?

• My fish eat better than me (the best foods)

Votes: 85 52.5%
  • They eat good enough foods

Votes: 66 40.7%
  • My fish get what they get

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homemade blend of: Halibut, shrimp, squid, fresh shucked clams, fresh shucked oysters, scallops, mussels, dehydrated krill, PE flakes, fish and oyster eggs, spirulina powder, garlic guard, Selcon and Vitachem. Seafood is freshly flown in daily with no preservatives added to the market I purchase it from. I feed this blend in the morning. I feed a combination of LRS Fish and Reef Frenzy along with alternating PE Mysis or Omega Enriched Brine Shrimp mixed with the LRS for the evening feeding. Occasionally will feed a little bit of TDO pellets and Saki-Hikari Marine Herbivore fish food pellets for lunch but not more than once a week. Also feed 1/2 sheet of Nori every other day after the morning feeding for the Powder Brown Tang and Magnificent Foxface.

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let’s see, I feed 3 times a week sometimes 4. Fish get a mix or several frozen foods during feedings. They include mysis, Emerald Entree, Carnivore Entree, Coral Gumbo, Cyclopid mainly. Have pellets but have only used them a handful of times.

gbru316

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed my tank a slew of different things. But it quickly another tank related chore.

I've since switched to Avast's Reef Jerky fed with a Plank every hour when lights are on and have not noticed any decrease in health/vigor. Quite the opposite -- they're now quite plump. IMO, small bits of food throughout the day is a more natural way for our fish to eat, anyway.

tigre44

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed either marine cuisine or angel butterfly frozen and pellet Aquaforest AF each morning. I also have pods and allow some algae to grow. I have 6 fish 3 dwarf angels, 2 percula clowns and a blue damsel in a 55 gal tk.

Joe.D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine get pellets from an auto feeder twice per day. I do LRS Reef Frenzy once per day and nori every other day.

Question on the nori - only my Whitetail Bristletooth Tang and Solar Wrasse eat the nori. I had been putting it in daily - I’ve cut back to every other day. It seems like everyone here says a couple of times per week. What are the thoughts on that? What’s the negative of feeding nori more often?

ultraArcite

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much exactly what I fed... also had it's own fridge / freezer.

Also added Selcon and some formula 1/2 pellets and Nori from Whole Foods, then the Asian market.
Are you even reefing if you don't have a "fish fridge?"

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you even reefing if you don't have a "fish fridge?"

I really want a dedicated Fish Fridge!! I have to settle for whole freezer shelf (but short) and quarter of fridge shelf... silly humans in this family like their food....

This is an example, not limited to:
Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG

And to make it easy to give variety and distribute, for a long time I pre-cut up bits of frozen and made 'sampler' mixes.... but...
foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG

then work got crazy this Fall as it always does, and those 'samplers' still had to thaw, so I transitioned to making 4 days worth of refrigerated cups that I stack up in chinese takeout leftover containers - two meals each day for each tank - and the 'sampler' food go into Red Sea cups with phyto and @Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast so I can just dump and go...
2022-11-13 thawed food cups in tray in fridge.JPG

Some things I've stopped and started doing ... no more dosing vodka to tank thru the fish food... (yes I did...) and I'm hatching baby brine shrimp primarily for my aiptasia grow out tanks (yes I am) - I am treating my FOWLR and mixed reef to a bit of those just hatched baby brines because they are so abundant just 1 tiny scoop. (healthy aiptasia for my berghia grow outs)

Chris Spaulding

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own from Shrimp , Scallop , Clam , Pollock , Roe , Nori shaved then frozen into flats. and then broken into cubes.
I feed morning and evening this mix along with Hykari Mysis and Spiranila loaded Brine. 5 about 4 to 5 cubes in the Am and then in the PM. Avast auto feeder 5 times a day with their reef jerky for the anthia and damsels

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back