A Coral Rx experience

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we visited Paul's Corals recently, he was singing the praises of a product called Coral Rx. Paul sells it at swaps. Here's the Premium Aquatics link:
CR-CRX0801 Premium Aquatics

Paul said he had been having good success with it treating the maladies listed on the bottle. One of the claims is that it helps with fine hair algae. That caught my attention.

I have a rather large colony of green, long-tentacled pipe organ that got infested with fine hair algae. The algae had permeated the colony and was irritating the polyps, causing them to close up almost daily. When they closed, the "field" of flowing hair algae was very healthy and long. I had made several attempts to pull it out, tear it off, do whatever to get rid of it. Each attempt resulted in several broken pipes and minimal damage to the algae. Things were so bad I was considering breaking off a piece on one end that didn't have algae and throwing the rest away.

I bought a bottle of the Coral Rx from Paul and decided to see if it would "knock back" the algae, as Paul suggested it would.

Last weekend I took a gallon of tank water and added 30 drops of Coral Rx. After thorough mixing, I put the entire colony in the Coral Rx mixture and lifted it up and down in the water so the Coral Rx would get mixed completely in all of the pipes. I then let the colony sit in the solution for 10 minutes, followed by another session of up and down mixing. While it was soaking, I pulled off all of the hair algae I could get my hands on. It wasn't much, but every little bit helps.

The colony was then put in another gallon of tank water and lifted up and down several times and the water stirred a lot to flush all of the Coral Rx out of the colony.

The colony was put back in its spot in the reef. The Coral Rx had definitely had an impact on the algae. It had changed from bright, healthy green to a dark green/brown and was not looking very healthy. By the next morning all of the polyps were fully extended and unaffected by the treatment. Mid-week, I tried to irritate the polyps with a stick to get them to close up so I could see what the algae looked like. Usually, rubbing them with a stick makes them close up quickly. Not this time. They would pull in, but extend right away. What algae was left was down in the pipes and the long filaments were not to be seen.

Today, during my usual weekly tank maintenance and water changes, I decided to do another treatment on the colony. The polyps retracted completely during the treatment. I could see algae down in the pipes, but it was a dark color and there was absolutely no evidence of filaments. After the treatment, the polyps were completely extended within three hours.

This is just one example and certainly not scientific, but it made a big dent in what was a significant problem. Equally important is that the polyps are not damaged by the treatment.

Gary

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the stuff that comes in a concentrate and a non concentrate? Smells just like revive? I have heard really good things about the concentrate if so. I would like to try a bottle if its the right stuff. I gotta go back to my LFS who has it and see if what im thinking of is called "coral rx" I forget.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm going to have to give this a try. I have a couple zoanthid frags that I just can't shake the HA out of.
Picked up a small bottle yesterday.:)

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this stuff I use it everytime I buy new corals nothing go's in my tank until its dipped in coral rx. I even dipped every coral I have before moving them to the 180 upgrade:)

Murphs205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked some up from Paul at our Cleveland Ohio swap ...love it !! dipped several LPS ,SPS, Zoas with zero effect on the corals , they are wide open and looking very healthy 1 month later . i got the RX pro ... 30 drops per gallon.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased Coral Rx and have been dipping all new frags in it. The frags show no signs of stress whatsoever, no color loss, no nothing. It seems much more coral friendly than other dips and so far no nasty bugs in my tank :D. I don't have the hair algae problem but I am glad to know of this just in case it ever does get to be a problem.

Gazog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary thank you for posting your experience with this, I have several colonies that I am having issues with not being able to get rid of some hair algae in middle, including a nice metallic Green birds nest that it is slowly creping up from the bottom and killing as it goes.

No matter how much I pull and brush it just will not go. I even resorted to fraging some of the worst affected branches but it just seems to come from nowhere.

To bad I didn't see this yesterday because I was talking to Paul and Karen at the swap and could have gotten one from them, but you can bet I be getting some from Premium, thanks.

Jacqulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased some coral rx today on Amazon. I noticed some of my corals are turning white at the bottom. Most people think it's the least ghting too intense but it's at the bottom of a deep 150 gallon tank. So I did some research and found out about necrosis wherein parasites into into Sps coral and eat on the zooanthalae causing corals to turn white at the bottom first. So I purchased Coral RX. Thanks for your sharing your experience with it Gary.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back