150 Gallon Tank Overstocked???

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 5 feet long 150 gallon tank and it have a bubble magus curve 9 as the skimmer and a refugium as well

So do you think this fish list is good or is it okverstocked? What fish should I remove from this list if it is overstocked? Can I keep 3 pyramid butterfly instead of 1 pyramid butterfly in this tank if I keep up with the maintenance and water change? It will be a tank mostly dominated with soft and lps corals.

Large Size Fish:
Tomini X 1
White Tail Kole X 1
Purple X 1
Blue X 1
Yellow X 1
Sailfin X 1
Pyramid Angel X 1 (3 if possible)

Small Size Fish:
Clownfish X 2
Firefish X 1
Royal Gramma X 1
Midas Blenny X 1
Long Nose Hawkfish X 1
Cleaner Wrasse X 1
Leopard Wrasse X 1
Coris Wrasse X 1
Carpenter/McCosker Flasher Wrasse X 1
Naoko Fairy Wrasse X 1
Earmuff Wrasse X 1
Chromis X 6

***Note***

Once the tangs get too big I’ll sell them and get a smaller one or trade them out for a smaller one, I’m talking mainly about the blue tang and desjardinii

Most of the tangs and the butterfly will be around 3-4 inches in size when I add them, also I’m not too worried about nutrients as I’m keeping mainly softies and lps with very few easy to keep sps
I can change the filter socks everyday if needed so that is not a problem to worry about
I had 2 shrimp and many snails most of which was eaten by my leopard wrasse, so for now I have several trochus snails and 2 sand sifting starfish as well as a few nassarius and bumblebee snails all of which seem to be doing good

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the width of the tank?

You have three Zebrasoma. They will likely fight even though they are small.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a relatively open scape but also had a few ledges and arches for the fish to swim through and also hide and or sleep at night

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 pyramid is fine as they like to school.
There are too many tangs even at small size IMO. Zebrasoma has big personalities. Stress control is key. Having food for constant grazing will help.

What kind of Coris wrasse?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a yellow Coris wrasse

Currently in feeding 2 tines a day as I don’t have all the fish but I can put on an auto feeder and feed smaller meals more often as well
I currently have a tomini and a blue tang and I don’t clean the back glass for them as they like to graze on the algae that grows there, for some reason they are not interested in nori sheets at all

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats close to 30 fish, it seems like a lot to me. It will be challenging to provide enough rock and hiding spaces for everything to avoid aggression and stress, and of course all the rockwork takes away some swimming space.

I think it would be a very stressful environment.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats close to 30 fish, it seems like a lot to me. It will be challenging to provide enough rock and hiding spaces for everything to avoid aggression and stress, and of course all the rockwork takes away some swimming space.

I think it would be a very stressful environment.
That’s about 27 fish, which fish would you suggest removing from this list? Do let me know!

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove:

Purple X 1
Blue X 1
Yellow X 1
Sailfin X 1

Pyramid butterflies get way bigger than you think. These 4 tangs should be kept in a minimum six foot long, that one foot does make a huge difference. Also you will most likely never get those tangs out to re home, especially the blue. They fit in very small cracks and you probably will need to rip up the rocks to get them. Tangs are fast.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will I be able to keep the pyramid angels? And also what can be some alternatives to the tangs?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will I be able to keep the pyramid angels? And also what can be some alternatives to the tangs?
Yeah with the tangs off the list. Look into a dwarf angel

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also unless you plan to upgrade the tank as your fish outgrow it, its best to not get fish you know you will need to re home in my opinion

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m sorry for bringing this post back to life but since we already talked here, I figured that it would be better than posting again.
How would this list be for a 60x24x24 inch 150 gallon mixed reef?

Please let me know,

TIA

Large Size Fish:

Tomini Tang X 1
Purple Tang X 1
Blue Tang X 1
Yellow Tang X 1
Desjardinii Tang X 1

Small Size Fish:

Clownfish X 2
Purple Firefish X 1
Royal Gramma X 1
Midas Blenny X 1
Cleaner Wrasse X 1
Choat’s Red Leopard Wrasse X 1
Yellow Coris Wrasse X 1
Earmuff Wrasse X 1
Lyretail Anthias X 4
Chromis X 6

From this list I currently have the blue tang and tomini tang

I also have the clownfish, firefish, cleaner wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, ornate leopard wrasse and 6 chromis

I will be getting the yellow tang, royal gramma and Midas blenny soon as well as the earmuff wrasse and choats red leopard wrasse

Currently I have the orange leopard wrasse but I’ll be changing that one out for this other leopard wrasse as it seems much more vibrant and also unique

As for the Anthias, I plan on getting one male and three females, the reasons I want them are firstly I love how they look and secondly, I heard and also saw somewhere that when you keep two schooling fish in the tank, they tend to make each others schooling behaviour come out more if that makes sense, then like my chromis will also form somewhat of a tighter school and there won’t be any aggression between them

I actually started off with 7 chromis and they started to fight a lot, so I caught 6 of them and kept them in the refugium, while the smallest one remained in the display and fattened up a bit, later on when I added them they were completely fine and then suddenly one of them just disappeared, I the pipes, filters and every gap between the rocks, it was just gone, but these 6 are doing good now for the past 4 months and they don’t fight among themselves at all anymore either

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 5 feet long 150 gallon tank and it have a bubble magus curve 9 as the skimmer and a refugium as well

So do you think this fish list is good or is it okverstocked? What fish should I remove from this list if it is overstocked? Can I keep 3 pyramid butterfly instead of 1 pyramid butterfly in this tank if I keep up with the maintenance and water change? It will be a tank mostly dominated with soft and lps corals.

Large Size Fish:
Tomini X 1
White Tail Kole X 1
Purple X 1
Blue X 1
Yellow X 1
Sailfin X 1
Pyramid Angel X 1 (3 if possible)

Small Size Fish:
Clownfish X 2
Firefish X 1
Royal Gramma X 1
Midas Blenny X 1
Long Nose Hawkfish X 1
Cleaner Wrasse X 1
Leopard Wrasse X 1
Coris Wrasse X 1
Carpenter/McCosker Flasher Wrasse X 1
Naoko Fairy Wrasse X 1
Earmuff Wrasse X 1
Chromis X 6

***Note***

Once the tangs get too big I’ll sell them and get a smaller one or trade them out for a smaller one, I’m talking mainly about the blue tang and desjardinii

Most of the tangs and the butterfly will be around 3-4 inches in size when I add them, also I’m not too worried about nutrients as I’m keeping mainly softies and lps with very few easy to keep sps
I can change the filter socks everyday if needed so that is not a problem to worry about
I had 2 shrimp and many snails most of which was eaten by my leopard wrasse, so for now I have several trochus snails and 2 sand sifting starfish as well as a few nassarius and bumblebee snails all of which seem to be doing good

If you plan to trade in tangs, are you going to fully quarantine them every time?

I never get the trade in thing… it’s asking for disease. You have to catch the fish, add new ones, restart the pecking order/balance.. hope they are not a Typhoid Mary.. etc..

This is all assuming you can catch them without stressing out every other inhabitant and coral.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I changed the list up and replied to it to bring it up so that the other reefers can see it. The new list is just the reply above yours. Let me know if you can see it , or else I’ll just make a new post, that way people won’t get confused

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I changed the list up and replied to it to bring it up so that the other reefers can see it. The new list is just the reply above yours. Let me know if you can see it , or else I’ll just make a new post, that way people won’t get confused

Tank is small for a Desjardinii

You should be fine keeping your current leopard with the new one. However a Choats is very difficult fish and I wouldn’t hold my breath putting it into a new tank.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alr then I’ll look into some other fish instead of the desjardinii

The ornate leopard that I have is a pellet feeding fish and the choats red leopard wrasse that I heard the store is bringing in will be a pellet feeding one. Would it be possible to keep both? Or should I just avoid it all together?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alr then I’ll look into some other fish instead of the desjardinii

The ornate leopard that I have is a pellet feeding fish and the choats red leopard wrasse that I heard the store is bringing in will be a pellet feeding one. Would it be possible to keep both? Or should I just avoid it all together?

Mixing leopards is generally fine as long as it isn’t two males. All females is the easiest.

Even Choats that eat.. die. Just one those fish that like to up and die for no reason a few months or so later just to tick ya off and burn your money. It’s not a feeding problem. It may be a handling problem among the chain. They seem to do better when shipped directly from Australia and not through wholesalers.

That being said, ask them to feed it and see it eat. Don’t take anyone’s word.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back