Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very puzzling to me.

And I’m not new to reef keeping either.

First, my tank is 260 gallons. I have acropora, sps, 7 tridacna clams, a few LPS. A variety of trochus, astrea, and Mexican turbos.

I added 8 cleaner shrimp to my tank about 3-4 weeks ago.

They’ve been fine, but lately they’ve been dying one by one. I believe 4 died. 1 died yesterday and 2 died today. I lost another one a week ago.

Parameters are all in a good range and I sent out an ICP with no elevated metals.

I do weekly 15% water changes.

Here’s my working theory:
  • I have a red flame hawkfish. Maybe it’s killing them?
  • I have a mantis shrimp which hitchhiked from my KP rocks. It stays hidden but I can hear it snapping. Pretty sure I also have pistol shrimp as well, but I definitely saw a mantis shrimp. It looks black in coloration. Maybe it’s killing them?
  • All the pistol shrimps that die are attached to the powerheads. My flow is very strong. Maybe they are getting sucked in?
About the mantis shrimp theory, I usually wake up to the cleaner shrimps attached to the powerhead (that means that sometime at night the shrimps died, which does seem likely murdered by a mantis, HOWEVER, today after work I saw the latest shrimp dead on the powerhead. Which means that it died in the day time, and the mantis shrimps NEVER meets a cleaner shrimp in the day.

The mantis shrimp hides in the right side of the tank, and the skunks stay on the left. It doesn’t make sense for them to meet each other, especially since the mantis doesn’t travel, and the skunks don’t either. I have a hard time believing that the mantis is killing them.

Here is a picture of the dead shrimp that I found after work. They all look like this when they died, I see a small opening in their flesh, but I’m not sure if the powerhead caused that after the fact that they’ve been dead.

Meaning, I’m not sure if they got wounded prior to meeting the powerhead.

Let me know what you think.

E70A51C1-EC3C-4DB8-A295-F419D7DA9FF7.jpeg
D4C56323-CBC2-440D-9F7D-16906FC7824B.jpeg
C9646B12-B419-4E5D-A798-58C5D03344E9.jpeg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mantis shrimp would eat them/tear them apart. When I had mantis they would make a mess of whatever live food they were eating.

When I had cleaners they did like to try and sit on pumps. Maybe they are getting stuck to it?

Man those guys are not cheap!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mantis shrimp would eat them/tear them apart. When I had mantis they would make a mess of whatever live food they were eating.

When I had cleaners they did like to try and sit on pumps. Maybe they are getting stuck to it?

When I watch the tank (I basically spend my whole weekend watching the tank and I spend my days after work watching the tank). I never ever saw the cleaner shrimps sitting on the powerheads.

Unless 100% of the time the shrimps that sit on the powerheads get sucked in. I would assume that some wouldn’t get sucked in right away. The shrimps stay hidden under the rocks about 98% of the time.

But it’s definitely possible that when I don’t watch the tank they sit on the powerheads, I just have a hard time believing it because I never saw them hang out around there…like ever.

I’m glad the mantis shrimp isn’t the problem. I like hearing its snaps lol.

But hey, if there was a parameter issue, wouldn’t that also kill the mantis shrimp? I don’t think it’s a parameter issue since all my corals are thriving and I work hard to make sure my elements are in good condition.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not cheap! I personally hate the look of cleaner shrimp (roach phobia).

I only got them because my pyramid butterflies had a TON of flukes. The cleaner shrimps completely cleaned them off. It was so impressive and took less than 2 days.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have the same hole in the side? could it be a parasitic or bacterial thing? Maybe the #fishmedics would have a hint
The black? The 2 remaining have that black spot as well. Is that not normal?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't see the black... well I think you can see their guts/food a bit but I do remember there being a disease effecting cleaners that has black markings.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You magnesium isn't high, is it? I know I killed two that way before.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You magnesium isn't high, is it? I know I killed two that way before.
Definitely shouldn’t be. The only magnesium I add is the natural amount that my salt mix (IO) contains. I don’t supplement magnesium. Maybe in the future if demand shows a need for it.

I honestly hardly even test magnesium. My last ICP showed it was around 1340ppm ish.

I just took these 2 photos. It’s of my shrimp that’s currently alive. It has the black mark which looks like organs?

373F7EC7-B202-437F-857D-DACCEE337D56.jpeg
2E5B0ED5-6E49-41A3-ABD3-9A94F641C014.jpeg

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of skunk cleaners for a couple months and they seemed fine. One day, the fish are devouring a skunk carcass. That was a few months ago and I still have the one skunk. I thought maybe they were both males so they fought to the death.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your shrimp looks normal to me but pics are fuzzy so :)

I had an orchid dottyback kill two of them before. So it doesn't take a very big fish to take them out.

A mantis certainly would like to eat them, just every time my mantis ate something... it ATE it... they tend to bury meaty remains sometime and will toss out shell from their burrow. Just looks so intact to me to be the mantis. If you have snails or hermits, it may choose those easy snacks if it is a small mantis.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkish supposedly like skunk cleaners, try to contain him and see if there is a diff
I have a red flame hawkfish. Maybe it’s killing them?... @miamireef

Absolutely. My Falco Hawk loves Cleaner Shrimp....it's an expensive snack. Learned the hard way.

Garpgarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on disease but putting animals in a tank with things that eat them is probably never a good idea unless they're added as dinner, you can't predict if the potential predators are a case of if or when.

In the time you have your back turned a mantis could go on a short stroll, turn a corner and strike something out of fright, with the victim found stuck to a powerhead the next morning. I'm sure a high flow setup could pull a cleaner away from an attacking hawkfish too.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow guys. I have a crazy updat. I’m an to finish my water change, but I can’t believe what I saw.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back