What sickness is this? Some wound near the gills. 2 fish died recently.

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9012.jpeg

It is acting normal but not eating as much.

The past 3 days, frogfish and a foxface died suddenly. They were eating normally except for the night before the foxface died, it seemed to breathe hard.

Other fish in the tank seems fine- a Bursa Trigger, Snowflake eel and Dragon Wrasse, all acting and eating normally without any visible sign of wounds or sickness.

Many thanks!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
IMG_9012.jpeg

It is acting normal but not eating as much.

The past 3 days, frogfish and a foxface died suddenly. They were eating normally except for the night before the foxface died, it seemed to breathe hard.

Other fish in the tank seems fine- a Bursa Trigger, Snowflake eel and Dragon Wrasse, all acting and eating normally without any visible sign of wounds or sickness.

Many thanks!
This is an injury rash which looks like a bacterial issue is developing. May have occurred from a rock. Best treatment in a separate tank is Seachem Kanaplex with added aeration via air stone. You can try Ruby Rally Pro in-tank which will take longer to work but Seachem product mentioned is more effective
Assure you have good water quality in particular ammonia and nitrate levels

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Will find asap. Most likely Seachem because other brands are hard to come by here in my country.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Will find asap. Most likely Seachem because other brands are hard to come by here in my country.
The other fish deaths may be more concerning for a bigger problem than an injury - i.e. a disease. Can you give any history as to your Quarantine protocols, etc? And more information about your tank

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish deaths may be more concerning for a bigger problem than an injury - i.e. a disease. Can you give any history as to your Quarantine protocols, etc? And more information about your tank
I have 2 tanks, both fairly new. Going 6 months now. One for colorful fishes(damsels, clowns, wrasses), one is for predator fishes. Both with a sump. 125 gallons.

Quarantine, basically just a plastic box with aeration. I let them stay there for 2 weeks.

I change 10% water weekly, which I go to the beach every 2 weeks to collect. I ask a fisherman to go to the deeper part to collect for me.

I also have a RODI system at home which I use to top off.

All my fishes in the predator tank(where the problem is now) were eating well and would grab chopped shrimps from my forceps. But last weekend, the foxface suddenly breathes faster and would hide. Wont eat pellets. Then I found him dead with his head stuck on some rocks, I have to pull with my hand because the forceps cant.

Frogface is in the sump because the space is smaller and he can grab mollies easier. Found him dead suddenly.

Both do not have external damage as far as I can tell.

Right now, upon closer look, the trigger(though not sure) have some sort of rashes in its body. But otherwise seem to be acting fine.

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I also have a white ribbon eel, and goes out at night to eat.

And I keep my water around 1.026 salinity.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 tanks, both fairly new. Going 6 months now. One for colorful fishes(damsels, clowns, wrasses), one is for predator fishes. Both with a sump. 125 gallons.

Quarantine, basically just a plastic box with aeration. I let them stay there for 2 weeks.

I change 10% water weekly, which I go to the beach every 2 weeks to collect. I ask a fisherman to go to the deeper part to collect for me.

I also have a RODI system at home which I use to top off.

All my fishes in the predator tank(where the problem is now) were eating well and would grab chopped shrimps from my forceps. But last weekend, the foxface suddenly breathes faster and would hide. Wont eat pellets. Then I found him dead with his head stuck on some rocks, I have to pull with my hand because the forceps cant.

Frogface is in the sump because the space is smaller and he can grab mollies easier. Found him dead suddenly.

Both do not have external damage as far as I can tell.

Right now, upon closer look, the trigger(though not sure) have some sort of rashes in its body. But otherwise seem to be acting fine.
can you send a picture? Since you didn't medically quarantine your fish - that may be one of the problems

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here. Not sure if normal or not. Sometimes it is hardly visible and maybe just normal rough trigger scales. I have to really look and under the right light.

Attachments

• IMG_9046.jpeg
    IMG_9046.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you send a picture? Since you didn't medically quarantine your fish - that may be one of the problems
The grouper died. Just a matter of 2 days. I started treating with Seachem Kanaflex with him on quarantine but still deteriorated.

Look. There are lesions and the fins seem a bit torn. A bit of discoloration as well.

What could it be? IMG_9158.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The grouper died. Just a matter of 2 days. I started treating with Seachem Kanaflex with him on quarantine but still deteriorated.

Look. There are lesions and the fins seem a bit torn. A bit of discoloration as well.

What could it be? IMG_9158.jpeg
lets focus on the remainingining fish, in case its a disease... what is left - and sincerely sorry about the fish

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets focus on the remainingining fish, in case its a disease... what is left - and sincerely sorry about the fish
Remaining fish are all fine. Dragon wrasse, bursa trigger, snowflake eel.

Oh and a toadfish that I keep forgetting I own cuz I see him once in the past 3 months.

All healthy and eating. No signs of any damage or sickness so far.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back