Unknown growth on Clownfish

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our clown is exhibiting two unusual “polyps” underneath the gills. We’ve had him for just under 18 months and he has not been fighting with any of the other tank inhabitants.

Video

We have no other major tank issues. Current parameters are:

Temp: 77F
Specific gravity: 1.025
Phosphate: .21
Nitrates: 18
Alk: 9.4
Cal: 445

This video has a better view of the area. Unfortunately it is in a low light corner.

Video2

Any ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Our clown is exhibiting two unusual “polyps” underneath the gills. We’ve had him for just under 18 months and he has not been fighting with any of the other tank inhabitants.

Video

This video has a better view of the area. Unfortunately it is in a low light corner.

Video2

Any ideas?
Clown is moving a lot in video but in 2nd video, it has what looks like a cyst and the other , a skin tag. The cyst may have emerged from post injury and is generally one that should subside on its own however it would not hurt to treat in in a separate tank with Seachem kanaplex which is absorbed both internally and externally by the fish and is broad spectrum.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video

Video2

Any ideas?
Did this grow slowly over time, or did it show up in a few days? If the former, it may by hyperthyroidism, goiter.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure it's possible to say what it is or what to do - without a biopsy, etc. However, it could be an odd presentation of lymphocystis - a self-limited viral issue - that is generally improved with excellent water quality, etc. I would not necessarily treat with antibiotics - but as vetteguy says - it's low risk.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this grow slowly over time, or did it show up in a few days? If the former, it may by hyperthyroidism, goiter.
I wish I could give you a better answer, but:

My wife noticed it this afternoon. Mind you she watches the tank like a hawk, but we only noticed it today.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

For now, we will observe, make no changes or additions to stock and mind the water parameters. We will continue with our scheduled water change tomorrow. If it looks to get worse, we will pursue t(e Kanaplex route.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could give you a better answer, but:

My wife noticed it this afternoon. Mind you she watches the tank like a hawk, but we only noticed it today.
I’d say it isn’t goiter then, but I’m not sure what else it could be, sorry.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back