Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick run to the other side of Columbia for frozen food. LRS Reef Frenzy and some frozen mysis... they might have had a 3 for $50 sale on zoas, and we might have gotten some. On the way home now.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick run to the other side of Columbia for frozen food. LRS Reef Frenzy and some frozen mysis... they might have had a 3 for $50 sale on zoas, and we might have gotten some. On the way home now.

We Might need pictures

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We Might need pictures
20171222_145522.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, they're all dipped, clipped and glued... I'm sad because glued doesn't rhyme with dipped and clipped. :(

Now to wait on them to open back up. Zoa peninsula is starting to come together.
20171222_154401.jpg

20171222_155024.jpg

Oh, yea... that galaxea made a permanent home over there. Its still a little ticked off at me for pulling it out of the water to remove the plug. It'll get over it.
20171222_154709.jpg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to work on my acan garden after Christmas. Thanks for the motivation.
You can start with these... it was the baby piece that broke off way back in September. They've grown out nicely. There's 3 heads on it.
20171222_155409.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one of the ones that does the racking on the old GE magne-blast 4160V breakers and arc flash absolutely terrifies me.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You are one of the expendable ones!!! :p

I hate those breakers. I had the last one removed from our facility a few years ago. The ABB ArcSafe stuff is much better!
It's not guaranteed you won't end up in the burn center, an arc flash incident can heat the air up to 10,000°F+, but you'll more than likely live thru the arc flash.
If properly rated, arc flash gear gives you a 50% chance to have 2nd degree burns over less than 50% of your body.

Makes you wonder why people consider that good enough? :confused:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all the way open... the last two look the same right now but I swear they were different in the store. Those two are only halfway open and the last one just has one polyp trying to open right now.
20171222_174328.jpg
20171222_174342.jpg
20171222_174752.jpg

Oh, and one of them had two polyps that had grown onto the frag disk. So, into the frag tank to grow out!
20171222_175338.jpg

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If properly rated, arc flash gear gives you a 50% chance to have 2nd degree burns over less than 50% of your body.

How can I click the LIKE on that .... I thought they have remote pendants for the new BIG stuff .

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You are one of the expendable ones!!! :p

I hate those breakers. I had the last one removed from our facility a few years ago. The ABB ArcSafe stuff is much better!

Expendable, not so much... the company has a lot of money and time invested in training me.

We actually had a guy get blown up about 5-6 years ago at another plant. He is now a "dam inspector"... rides around in a company truck from 7-3:30 looking at dams... and getting paid good money to do so. Electricians had left grounds on the breaker, and operators not being electricians, he didn't know they were there nor were they included on the LOTO that was cleared and released back to operations. When he racked the bus in 4000 volts shorted to ground and blew his arc flash hood off. 3rd degree burns to his entire face. Had they not trained us to take in a deep breath before we rack breakers, he'd have inhaled all that super heated plasma.

After that they bought every operator brand new arc flash gear, instead of having one large and extra large for everyone to share. They also bought remote racking mechanisms so we can set a drill on the racking device, walk away 20' and be out of the main blast. 4160 still has a danger radius of I think 60' and before they upgraded our relays, it was 130' danger zone when racking the 4160s... That was a PAIN, we had to go thru the entire basement floor of the turbine building and clear everyone out, page out to stay clear of the turbine building and dress up in that heavy space suit pictured above. We're back down to a much lighter 40cal/cm3 now. And 480 is around 40' I think. They had a big study done after that incident too... they said the 480s we had were actually more dangerous than the 4160s. The company is in the process of changing all of those 50 year old breakers.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expendable, not so much... the company has a lot of money and time invested in training me. We actually had a guy get blown up about 5-6 years ago at another plant. Electricians had left grounds on the breakers, and operators not being electricians, he didn't know nor were they included in the LOTO. When he racked the bus in 4000 volts shorted to ground and blew his arc flash hood off. 3rd degree burns to his entire face. Had they not trained us to take in a deep breath before we rack breakers, he'd have inhaled all that super heated plasma.

After that they bought every operator brand new arc flash hear, instead of having a large and extra large for everyone to share. They also bought remote racking mechanisms so we can set a drill on the racking device, walk away 20' and be out of the main blast. 4160 still has a danger radius of I think 60' and before they upgraded out relays, it was 130' danger zone when racking the 4160s... That was a PAIN, we had to go thru the entire basement floor of the turbine building and clear everyone out, page out to stay clear of the turbine building and dress up in that heavy space suit pictured above. We're back down to a much lighter 40cal/cm3 now. And 480 is around 40' I think. They had a big study done after that incident too... they said the 480s we had were actually more dangerous than the 4160s. The company is in the process of changing all of those 50 year old breakers.
I'm glad your company is taking it seriously. I'm with you. Arc flash scares the crap out of me.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ones that are sideways, I have no control over that... I took the picture as a portrait, not landscape. For some reason it showed up here as a landscape. All of them look like this before I upload.
Screenshot_20171222-214936.jpg

I don't get a thumbnail preview, and I can't actually attach the pictures to the post. They just automatically show up.... but, they are the good pictures in pro mode with the filters to get rid of the LED effect.

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bored at work, holiday weekend yay, so let's talk about the tank.

Last night I fed a little bit of the LRS Reef Frenzy. The clowns went nuts over it, McLeod ate more than his share(think large mouth bass, that what he looks like eating) and Maui almost grabbed a piece out of the water. He never shows interest in anything but squid. The corals showed a feeding response too. The galaxea actually put out sweepers very briefly and the acans set out their feeders further than normal.

I've been dosing NOPOX for the past week. 2ml per day. I was having to clean the glass several times a day from algae build up and the water had a cloudy haze to it. After a week of NOPOX the tank is clearer and I don't even have to clean the glass every day now.

Water change planned for tonight, I think I have enough water made up... I need a mixing station with water storage containers. 50g each of RODI and mixed saltwater sounds nice.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Cultivated Reef
Back