Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas, and good yule from the Deep Blue Sea!
underwater-christmas-tree.gif

Avast
Corals.com
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update... it's morning for the tank, lights come on at 11.

My acans have been taking a beating down on the sand. People who sucesfujlly keep corals on the sand must not have flow like I do. My sand bed moves like the ripples in the sand at the beach. Always changing shape with the current. So...
20171226_113851.jpg

I give you acan rock. Yea, I know, we started out with this thing in this exact spot. Then moved it up on top in the back to make that big cave that all my fish seem to go hide in. The acans need it more than the fish do.

So here's how the tank looks currently. Yep, it's really blue. I told you it was morning.
20171226_113858.jpg

We also got our Triton ICP results back today. I'll figure out how to read those and get back to you in another post so everyone can see my results.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that wasn't hard to find... and here are the results. We've got too much Nickel in the tank, as well as some other heavy metals. Their suggested most common causes of these are contaminated trace elements, something rusting in the tank, or contaminated salt. They suggest doing water changes with Triton Pure 2.0 salt for 6 weeks to reduce these. I'm almost out of my Red Sea blue bucket... so I may just order some of this magic Triton salt.
Screenshot_20171226-120700.jpg
Screenshot_20171226-120718.jpg
Screenshot_20171226-120745.jpg

World Wide Corals

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man o Man....I had a lot to catch up on! Things are looking good. Your camera really does grab nice shots. Couple thoughts I had while getting caught up.

I've heard of folks wearing suits to work but yours absolutly wins Best in Show!

I would consider bringing your Alk up just a touch to see if the corals get a little happier. I find mine get cranky once I drop below 8 dkh so I target 8.5.

Thats crazy finding high metal levels like that in such a new system... I use Blue Bucket and love it. I'll have to send out a test to see where i stand in that regard. I bought a bunch black friday but I too am lazy and havent sent one out yet.

Glad at least one of the Goby's made an appearance!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha, yea... I update here a lot. I enjoy it and in a year or two I have something to look back on and see how much the tank has changed.

I have really liked the blue bucket salt. It mixes really well and the parameters are close to NSW. I've been wanting to go no water change, if I can get this refugium to take off and control nutrients... we may be going full Triton. If not, I'm going to build a ATS to sit on top of the refugium chamber and use it for nutrient control, but still use the Triton method for macro and micro elements. I just saw the Coralbox WiFi doser and really like it, I'm probably going to replace my Jebao doser with it.

If I go ATS, I'm going to fill that refugium up with marine pure spheres... or I might be able to stand a brick up vertically inside there.

Nutramar Foods

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your updates are great! I wish I was as diligent. I find I get more enjoyment following other peoples builds being that my own is always right in front of me.

I snagged a Coral Box just before black friday. They had an open box return listed for short money so I grabbed it. Havent set it up yet but am planning to use it on the work in progress nano. Its super small, maybe a little smaller than a brick. Hopefully it doesn't turn into one ;Dead

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdudes on YouTube just replaced his Jebao with one on his tank... WAY smaller than the Jebao and I can actually mount it inside my stand... and it can dose down to .01ml! We need to do some cleaning up in the stand before we get one tho. I've let my wires get out of control.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy metals getting through the ro?
It's possible, but I'd expect to see more copper if that were the case. My house is 40 years old and every water pipe in it, other than the septic, is copper. When I get the money to order the Triton salt I'll get some fresh DI resin in case something is slipping past, but I usually get 0tds even before my DI. Incoming tds is 80-90, after RO is no more than 3 and the DI is always 0.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help but wonder, which heater does everyone here feel is the most reliable and should be used for a system like this?
Bummer on the water analysis, think this was the neotherm? By the way that's the ULM set ups he's inquiring about, I bought a neotherm for my AIO because it was thought to be the most reliable, Oh what a year makes.

That Acan almost has a bounce look to it

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Cultivated Reef
Back