Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was from this, I have no idea what the par readings for the tank are.
Slowly vanishing weir box! :)

DSC_0002 by sshipuk, on Flickr
Beautiful... You're gonna make me buy that pavona pack prematurely.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto and ulva made it thru the night unscathed. Popped the H380 on to snap this pic, forgot I didn't post one with the snails. The chaeto is at the bottom in a dense ball(probably best so it doesn't get burned) and the ulva floats, try to make it sink and it pops right back up. It's over by the heater, kinda see thru and it's like slimy lettuce. I'll take a picture in another week to see if either are growing any. My media reactor is offline now and the skimmer is turned down to its lowest setting. Grow chaeto grow!
20171229_072442.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guess I should check amazon for a pair of plastic tongs just in case.
Just don't get the zoo-med "stainless" steel tongs. Few minutes every couple days is all they are in the tank, they smell corroded tho. Into the trash so I'm not tempted to use them. Maui will have to take hand feedings or wait for the new tongs next week.
20171229_071845.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really should have plenty of nutrients in the tank now to feed the chaeto. Last test showed 1.3ppm PO4 with the Red Sea Pro kit. Yes, 1.3ppm. Funny thing is my Hanna low range phosphate showed 0ppm... It always shows 0ppm. I think the thing is busted or the reagent they sent me with the meter isn't any good. My Nitrates were way purple on the low range, but barely visible on the high range... I'm going with 4ppm since that's the min and max on both scales. the NOPOX was working very well as my last test for Nitrates was 16ppm. I'm gonna go back to feeding every day(was was feeding every other) and see if I can get the chaeto to take off. Once(if) it does, I'll up my feedings a bit and increase my fish load with some more free swimmers like a few small wrasse and a sapphire damsel. Once I find balance with that, I'm going to try some SPS again.
In my case the chaeto would do great for a few weeks and then die off/melt. Its so efficient at removal you’re back to zero in no time. Hence my ridiculous feeding. I was pouring aminos in free hand every other morning, feeding pellets twice daily, reef frenzy in the evenings and finishing with phyto at lights out most days. Chaeto was still melting after a while and id barely see nitrate/phosphate readings. It was chore trying to keep up.

If you havent already, take a look for some videos on the best ways to use that Hanna ULR. I was doing it wrong for quite a while and getting bogus results. By wrong it wasn't much different than right but it was enough to throw it off.

On my triton/challenge tank im going with a HOB fuge and reef glass skimmer. Thats it. Gonna see how that works out. If I can't keep chaeto growing there I'm tapping out altogether with it. Rock is curing, tank showed yesterday. Should be wet this weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case the chaeto would do great for a few weeks and then die off/melt. Its so efficient at removal you’re back to zero in no time. Hence my ridiculous feeding. I was pouring aminos in free hand every other morning, feeding pellets twice daily, reef frenzy in the evenings and finishing with phyto at lights out most days. Chaeto was still melting after a while and id barely see nitrate/phosphate readings. It was chore trying to keep up.

On my triton/challenge tank im going with a HOB fuge and reef glass skimmer. Thats it. Gonna see how that works out. Rock is curing, tank showed yesterday. Should be wet this weekend.

Woohoo, love new tank builds!

With the small size of my fuge, around 2 gallons, I think I'll be able to keep up with nutrients. If not I'll run the skimmer on a timer so it can only pull out so much. Right now macro algae and the skimmer are my only nutrient export, other than my water changes that I'm stuck doing to remove the metals.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo, love new tank builds!

With the small size of my fuge, around 2 gallons, I think I'll be able to keep up with nutrients. If not I'll run the skimmer on a timer so it can only pull out so much. Right now macro algae and the skimmer are my only nutrient export, other than my water changes that I'm stuck doing to remove the metals.
Try going with a very very very dry skim before adding the timer. My PH crashes with the skimmer off for extended periods.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try going with a very very very dry skim before adding the timer. My PH crashes with the skimmer off for extended periods.
Skimmer is on lowest setting right now. It was at about 3 and producing a wet dark brown skim. Bubble magus skimmer, max is minimum and min is maximum and the settings go "max, 3, 2, 1, min." Crazy Chinese.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont ONE! .......BTW what size batteries do them use
I'll see about getting you in touch... oh @Katrina71, 8" is as long as she can do.

TWSS ;Hilarious;Joyful:D;Woot

@siggy, Pretty sure you're going to need a generator to run these bad boys ;);Turtle

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a problem growing Macro Algae.. or any other algae for that matter. I’m also using Caleurpa sp. stuff grows dense and like a weed. I’m actually afraid to switch a kessil Grow light.

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter brought this home from the Keweenaw peninsula-that's about as far north in Michigan as you can get....I have to brag a little.. she's an Instructor @ Michigan Tech ;Happy
Thought I would pass it around.
20171227_194618_001.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter brought this home from the Keweenaw peninsula-that's about as far north in Michigan as you can get....I have to brag a little.. she's an Instructor @ Michigan Tech ;Happy
Thought I would pass it around.
View attachment 641730
Looks good @siggy! I haven't had a good craft beer in a while. Is that a lager or more of an ale? Looks kinda lager colored.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't get the zoo-med "stainless" steel tongs. Few minutes every couple days is all they are in the tank, they smell corroded tho. Into the trash so I'm not tempted to use them. Maui will have to take hand feedings or wait for the new tongs next week.
View attachment 641671
Mine did too. Note I said DID.

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of different alloys of stainless steel... they all still rust.
I doubt we will see 2205 Duplex stainless available for hobby tools any time soon.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back