Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I love that gsp / mushroom rock, forgetting my thoughts on why you should not kill it, sort of, re your nutrients, gsp, shrooms, zoas and leathers grow faster because they naturally use nutrients up, just a thought! ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I love that gsp / mushroom rock, forgetting my thoughts on why you should not kill it, sort of, re your nutrients, gsp, shrooms, zoas and leathers grow faster because they naturally use nutrients up, just a thought! ;)

I wish I could send you some... we may end up keeping it. Once I get this sand replaced and the tank settles for a few weeks I'll test some more SPS. Maybe, we can get some corals to encrust on that rock and push back the polyps. They don't seem to spread like the blue clove polyps, but more like GSP.

If they prevent stony coral growth, they will be terminated.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48FA342F-5C64-4993-BF32-A52C92BD1CB7.png
48FA342F-5C64-4993-BF32-A52C92BD1CB7.png

I used their white in my tank

Nutramar Foods

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it very disappointing that someone would sell a sand that is obviously loaded with iron.
It’s got to have more than iron.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It don't think it can be aragonite. My understanding is that aragonite is clear to white. Only impurities can get it to turn brown or darker.

I also find it interesting that they don't mention aragonite on the page you linked, but they do put it in the product name elsewhere.

Yea, I'm starting to get the impression that metal is what makes black sand black. They claims its 100% from the ocean floor. Know what else is 100% from the ocean floor?

hqdefault.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm starting to get the impression that metal is what makes black sand black. They claims its 100% from the ocean floor. Know what else is 100% from the ocean floor?

View attachment 731675
Yup. From the ocean floor doesn't mean all that much. Sure, its probably finely crushed lava rock but what exactly is in it? I doubt they do detailed chemical analysis.

I just thought of something. Would you care to mail me a few grains when you get home? I have access to an electron microscope at work. I'm sure I can get a metallurgist to do an analysis of it for me.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. From the ocean floor doesn't mean all that much. Sure, its probably finely crushed lava rock but what exactly is in it? I doubt they do detailed chemical analysis.

I just thought of something. Would you care to mail me a few grains when you get home? I have access to an electron microscope at work. I'm sure I can get a metallurgist to do an analysis of it for me.

Absolutely. I'd be happy to mail all of it if you can get any idea of what is in this stuff. PM me your address and I'll try and get some out Monday.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I have a 5g bucket of used Fiji pink sand with a little Bimini pink mixed in. It was two bags of Fiji pink that I had in my 75g, and wasn't quite enough so I added one bag of the Bimini pink for a little coarser grain to help with shifting from powerheads. Would you use it, or buy all new? It has been dry for at least 8-9 months.

Yea, we're going away from black sand. Bad taste in my mouth.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I have a 5g bucket of used Fiji pink sand with a little Bimini pink mixed in. It was two bags of Fiji pink that I had in my 75g, and wasn't quite enough so I added one bag of the Bimini pink for a little coarser grain to help with shifting from powerheads. Would you use it, or buy all new? It has been dry for at least 8-9 months.

Yea, we're going away from black sand. Bad taste in my mouth.
If you like the black sand, you can wait until I get the results. No reason to pull the sand since we can confirm if it is the problem by testing for the nickel and vanadium.

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral reefs are amazing in Hawaii but some of those reefs are made up of lava. As the water rapidly cools the lava it shatters and made in small fragments.

So are we saying that in a closed system the metals leach to dangerous levels. In the ocean the current and water mass dilutes to very low levels.

I have a friend that lives in Hawaii do you want me to see if she can ship you some?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't need Pele mad at me... I think we will wait and see if we find anything from Brew's fancy machine. Probably try and make up a pretty decent water change when we get home. We might have to keep on top of large water changes until we get this straightened out.

Its not just my corals that are affected, Maui's feeding issues are directly linked as well. Eels are sensitive to metals in the water. Water changes seem to have helped with his appetite. Still not at voracious as he used to be, and I have to feed small pieces or he will regurgitate it, where he used to not do that.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the water rapidly cools the lava it shatters and made in small fragments.

The same thing happens at the plant with molten clinkers. They fall out of the boiler after the coal dust is blown in and burns. Some goes up as fly ash, some falls down as clinkers. The bottom of the boiler is a hopper full of water. When the clinkers fall in, most of them shatter from the thermal shock. Some stay solid, so we have a clinker grinder in the bottom that grinds them up before being transported out by the water jet.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who needs Fiji mud when you got Cherry Grove mud?

20180428_132649.jpg

Seriously, the Fiji mud looks and smells just like this stuff. It just doesn't have the oysters and fiddler crabs in it.

Between every street here, there is a canal that is directly linked to the ocean. I mean, we're a block off of the beach. Cherry Grove was nothing but salt marsh and flats before the corps of engineers built it up in the 30s I believe. When they did the made channels.

This is looking both ways up and down the channel from our dock.

20180428_132710.jpg
20180428_132713.jpg

The tide is going out, I'm not sure how low it gets anymore. They dredged last year and deepened the channels. They were filled in with silt really bad, Dad said they were even deeper than they are now when he was a kid.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could that go in reef tank?

I don't see why not... looks, smells and feels just like Fiji mud. Haven't tasted either of them so I can't judge that. I will tell you that the water here is heavy with silt. Its brown almost year round except in the dead of winter it goes clear.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like salt and pepper, not black. The CaribSea Hawaiian that is about 80% black is magnetic. I know, I have two bags in the garage.
They have four different colors.

I guess call collecting in winter would be best.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

A Reef Creation
Back