Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Super Naturals Tahitian moon... I went with this because the Hawaiian was SUPER magnetic. Its basically volcanic rock, which has high iron.

caribsea-super-naturals-tahitian-moon-sand-20lb (1).jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape fixed, its not perfect, but it works. I lost my Ice and Fire zoas... no clue where they are. Wait, I just found them! Whew, those were my favorite.

20180427_161318.jpg

Bonnie has turned into a little 5 letter b word. Biting my hand the whole time I was moving the rocks. I see what people mean when they say clowns are vicious. That is unreasonably painful for a 2 1/2" fish. She was biting and shaking her head trying to tear skin!

Anyway. I'm going to let things settle a bit more, then I gotta really quick get a tank sitter for the weekend. Going to Cherry Grove, SC to help Dad on the beach house.

21022.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s magnetic it may have more than just iron.

Yes, I was refering to the Hawaiian as being iron based. This Tahitian sand is supposed to be pure silica, aka glass. Evidently, it isnt.

I wonder... what it would cost to send a sample to a lab and have them analyze it to see exactly what elements are in it, and what could leach out?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he "benefit" of buffering by aragonite sand is minimal (if any), but concerns about metals are more of an issue, IMO.

If it is a real beach sand it is likely OK as most easily dissolved substances will already be washed away.

But if it is ground up rock, or worse, coal slag, I'd be more concerned.

This is from reef2reef google search on Tahitian black sand.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know coal... I've eaten and breathed enough of it in the last 10 years. I would be seeing very high sulphur and mercury levels along with the heavy metals. Ground obsidian is a possibility. It is very hard and black and it glistens under light, but it is not sharp...

I just remembered, we have that macro lens for the cell phone. The one with the 1/2" focal point...

20180427_175214.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That
I know coal... I've eaten and breathed enough of it in the last 10 years. I would be seeing very high sulphur and mercury levels along with the heavy metals. Ground obsidian is a possibility. It is very hard and black and it glistens under light, but it is not sharp...

I just remembered, we have that macro lens for the cell phone. The one with the 1/2" focal point...

View attachment 731406
That’s a great shot

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scurvy, you may want to pull that Tahitian moon sand... someone else has found it to be magnetic. Its supposed to be 100% silica. Silica is not magnetic. Monday when I get back from the beach we are going to remove the sand and figure out what to use.... ugh, Bonnie is never going to love me again.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its magnetic its not silica, and I bought it because it was silica. I'm sure now that it is the source of every issue I've had with Deep Blue.

I JUST pulled up at the beach house with Mom, but when I get back home, its coming out.

Now, what do we replace it with?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its magnetic its not silica, and I bought it because it was silica. I'm sure now that it is the source of every issue I've had with Deep Blue.

I JUST pulled up at the beach house with Mom, but when I get back home, its coming out.

Now, what do we replace it with?
I find it very disappointing that someone would sell a sand that is obviously loaded with iron.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did figure out what the orange is... new coralline! Finally saw the top of the tower rock with the star polyps closed... new coraline all over the place. I really hope we're on the right track if we have coralline growth.

20180427_164411.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

https://www.triton.de/en/
Back