TL’s big boy peninsula 385 gal Sps build!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam yes inverts maybe. Sometimes you can get a rogue Halichoeres and it goes for a clam but I wouldn’t worry about that it’s very very very slim. Now cleaner shrimp aren’t safe lol. They’ll be picked off by a Xenojulis or Halichoeres quickly. But sometimes they won’t touch them. Most snails and crabs are safe too most of the time.
Sooooo… I got a second yellow corris “first one died” and he went into the sand immediately and I haven’t seen him in a week.. I’m gonna write him off.. :frowning-face: if I get another and at some point he pops out is there gonna be fighting? Lol… also I quoted this post cause my diamond bar goby has taken out most of my clean up crew so I think I have more wrasse options now haha…that booger has collected over 15 shells of snails and crabs and filled his burrow with them.. he slams them against the rocks and keeps spitting them in his hole till the die… rrrrrr

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo… I got a second yellow corris “first one died” and he went into the sand immediately and I haven’t seen him in a week.. I’m gonna write him off.. :frowning-face: if I get another and at some point he pops out is there gonna be fighting? Lol… also I quoted this post cause my diamond bar goby has taken out most of my clean up crew so I think I have more wrasse options now haha…that booger has collected over 15 shells of snails and crabs and filled his burrow with them.. he slams them against the rocks and keeps spitting them in his hole till the die… rrrrrr
Don’t write him off yet! Halichoeres and Anampses have the habit of hiding for weeks after being first introduced. There’s a chance the wrasse has been out but you haven’t seen him yet. Check for spots in the sand where it looks disturbed.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t write him off yet! Halichoeres and Anampses have the habit of hiding for weeks after being first introduced. There’s a chance the wrasse has been out but you haven’t seen him yet. Check for spots in the sand where it looks disturbed.
I couldn’t tell man.. my diamond goby flips 100 pounds of sand a day! He’s a machine lol..

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a list of wrasses you like and we can sort through them :)
I recommend looking into;
Anampses
Halichoeres
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus
Xenojulis
Pseudojuloides
Macropharyngodon

I’ll try find my starter list I tend to give people.
As I never seem to have gave you a true list of mine… I found part of my old beginning list.

Rock dwellers;
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus Vanuatu
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
Cirrhilabrus adornatus
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus isosceles x lunatus
Cirrhilabrus punctatus
Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis
Cirrhilabrus shutmani
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus lunatus
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis

Cirrhilabrus rubriquamis
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus teminickii
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Paracheilinus sp. sulawesi
Paracheilinus octotaenia
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
Paracheilinus flavianalis
Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
Paracheilinus filamentosus

Wrasses with a Sandbed need;
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres rubricephalus
Halichoeres chlorocephalus
Halichoeres binotopsis
Halichoeres schwartzii
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres vroliki
Halichoeres argus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres leucurus
Halichoeres marginatus
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres melasmapomus
Halichoeres pallidus
Macropharyngodon marisrubri
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus
Macropharyngodon moyeri
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses Melanurus
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses lineatus
Anampses twistii
Coris dorsomacula
Coris caudimacula
Coris pictoides
Xenojulis margaritaceus

Edit: Just added the other half to the list.

Last edited:

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, go closed loop! If it’s bothering you now it’s just going to get more bothersome as time passes. Best to get it done before everything gets established and balanced than waiting and regretting it. I always used closed loop with CtoC overflow on my bigger systems. As far as I’m concerned, less money, less to maintain, less points of possible failure/problems and better results. What’s there to even think about? That’s just me, of course, but I like trying to keep things as simple as possible. Now, that’s not to say I do not like technology too but everything has its place.
Tell me about these closed loop systems. I had a FOWLR tank back in the 90s before it was even considered FOWLR and I'm a year back into the game with an ever growing reef system. I must have missed the closed loop phase.

ronnie

Acro addict (recovering)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get an OM 4 way and drill that sucker! You’ll be glad you did and it provides decent random flow. I had one on my old acrylic 120G and loved it. I aquascaped around the outlets to hide them a bit.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an OM 4 way and drill that sucker! You’ll be glad you did and it provides decent random flow. I had one on my old acrylic 120G and loved it. I aquascaped around the outlets to hide them a bit.
Oh I know! I had that on a 90gal cube years ago! Love that thing..

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to put a vortech on the bottom at the far end? Not sure how thick it is or if you have access, but it could be doable if you could figure out how to box in the wet side to keep it from just sucking sand.
I’m sure I could.. take a router and cut out a pocket in the wood.. I’m crafty like that haha… it’s okay for now but down the line when these acros fill in I gotta do something down on that end.. maybe a mp60 idk… I think another gyree would be ideal but then I gotta deal with a wire and my euro brace :rolleyes:

Top Shelf Aquatics

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about these closed loop systems. I had a FOWLR tank back in the 90s before it was even considered FOWLR and I'm a year back into the game with an ever growing reef system. I must have missed the closed loop phase.
Closed loops were definitely around in the 90’s because I ran 2 of them on large tanks I had set up. I'm short on time and rather than give you a long write up about them, I thought it better to provide a video. Plus, I think Jake does a good job at explaining the process. Additionally, I have included a link under the video for reading.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New halide bulbs come today! I’m excited for them! Also just ordered a ton of reef crystals salt from petsmart it’s like $30 a bucket right now! Every other place I see wants $75+ Amazon is $90… just sign up for auto ship then cancel it! Haha

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stick has really taking off! 1 week of growth! :astonished-face: Loving the halides…
IMG_9668.jpeg
IMG_9666.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could’ve told me you needed those exact ones! I had 6 of those and had to give them way cuz I couldn’t use them
Oh now you tell me! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I’ll buy them from you cause they’re hard to find! It took for ever to find some in stock

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed 20 gallons of water and replaced all my carbon 48 hours after the Prazipro and my skimmer drill isn’t working… I gotta do my second dose on Monday I’ll just wait till after that dose and change like 60 gallons and my carbon again I’m hopes of getting the skimmer back online… for now it’s just overflowing the cup to keep up 02 levels

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s really crazy is my diamond bar has destroyed countless snails and crabs and used the shells as the entrance to his burrow… I was thinking he killed them all by himself till I saw that yesterday… and to top it off my hippo tang has been drinking to much kool aid… she is now grabbing shells from his burrow or frags off my rack swimming to the top and spitting them out of the water :oops: :oops::oops::oops: She even grabbed my chalice on a 1-1/2” disc and moved it to the other side of the tank… I have never witnessed a fish much less a tang do such a thang!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a half hour late to work today and really don’t care lol.. no days off and pretty much unlimited hours “till October” and hockey play offs are taking their toll on me haha! Got like 3-1/2 hours of sleep…. But my boys moved on! Yay!first team to advanced to round 2… Edmonton is gonna be out hardest team to the cup and we play them next..
IMG_9713.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back