• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Soprano Growout Growth and Update Thread

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about less light? I had a raptors that had all but melted, thought I lost it and just moved the frag under the rack to get some shade and now it has 2 ity bity heads that have skirts. Its not out of the woods or anything, but it was just a purple piece of flesh before I moved it down.

I will throw this out there. If we lose it and decide to go back to the original source, I'd like to see about adding a couple of the frags we lost. The black magic, eclipse and **** beaches.

BCT-what was your feeling on how this soprano looked? Would you want to get another from akwarius or from another source?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in the lowest light place for a while, it did ok...seemed to like medium light medium flow. I have contacted the original source and we can get another single polyp frag and some of the melted frags. I want to hold out a little longer to see what happens with this one as I had some red halos do something similar and I got them to bounce back. I think it was a bacterial infection that started in the black magic and spread to a few more polyps. Last was these, these are very nice...I'd call them soprano morphs and they seem to be good growers. Unfortunately, with zoos and palys they just do random things like this more often than SPS and lps. It is up to you guys what you would want to do as I have contacted another seller that has a different soprano morph. He wants a little more for his frag...if we replace I will cover a large portion of the cost since it died under my watch. It will just add more time to the Growout, judging by the growth rate be ready by late spying early summer (3-5 mo)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give a polyp count tonight, what I have is getting close to ship out time...some are ready to get dragged now. The GoW has a lot of polyps.

oigimsar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got your PM. I have replied several times but evidently things aren't getting through. I have seen responses from tabasco as well.
So, thought it might be better to reply here. Just let me know who to send the $ to. If you are looking for votes, I would lean toward
having it in two tanks for the rest of the growout. There are no guarantees either way but at least that "diversifies our investment".
Truly, I can go either way, things seem to be going well in your tank. Just let me know.

Looking forward to the polyp update.

Nutramar Foods

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting! Good to hear they are doing well and it's getting close. Pics would be great too. Did you see that there was a nod to the chart you put together on another thread? ;)

I am fine either way. I do like diversifying. However I do know that Joker is also the grower in another growout, that is getting bigger so don't know what the commitment is like or if that would be too much. I will bow out of the voting :) haha. I commit to be non-commital. Just let me know where to send $

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is the growth chart with current polyp numbers, the only one that is not correct is the slimeria...there is about 8 polyps. The counts are minimum numbers (there may be more polyps but it is hard to count them accurately).

growout2912.JPG

I have not seen any references to the chart in any other threads, but that is cool if people like the idea. I am thinking about starting a better one with all of the zoas I have, then I can monitor and compare the growth rate of several zoas, then starting a thread with it so other people can add there own data, or allowing people to give me numbers to add to the table.

Anyway, back to the important subject, I think Joker can grow the new frags...if he still wants to. When I frag these there is going to be a ton of frags, and it is not to far off. I am waiting on one person to decide what they want to do then we will get the show on the road. I have some nice subs for some of the frags that melted under my care (sorry about that guys). Some of the frags that started melting have turned around, the darth mauls, slimerias, and another one. I will get pics up this weekend (but might need a reminder).

AS

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I will just thow out there, if we want to frag for 2 or 3 people and start getting them out that is fine with me. I don't mind being being in the later distribution. That way it will possibly be a little easier to frag.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ordering some plugs this evening, I have a 20 long that is getting plumbed into my system tomorrow to hold the frags. I when the plugs get here I am going to frag all of the ones that are ready so everyones frags can grow out better, a few of the plugs are completely covered in polyps. Specifically the tequila, pink hippos, god of war, arm 2, laser lemons. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow...

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the frags have been moved to the frag tank, no fragging yet. I have been catching a lot if grief around the house about spending to much time with my hands in the tank and i just got back in town. I have the plugs and everything ready to go, hopefully I can frag Monday with my son at daycare and me being off for spring break.

A few of the frags are attached to the frag rack in my display, those are gonna be a PIA.

robsreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some might not open BC of the red slime put them up to the power head and blow it off give it two days and they will open back up happened to me before
The phots are not the best buy I am trying, my camera will not let me zoom in very close. The princess toadstools and psycho trippins have not opened for a couple days and the mayan suns have been touch and go since the beginning. Everything else has at least one baby now, except the soul snatchers are growing crazy slow.

View attachment 21070
View attachment 21069
View attachment 21068
View attachment 21067
View attachment 21066

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Avast
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics, but I have started fragging. I have fragged up the gow and armII. My PhD qualifiers start next week and are two weeks long, I have to pass these to be eligible to get my degree so I have only been spending about an hour a night fragging...

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back